Format: DVD|Change

on 4 February 2012
I went into this with an open mind and found myself helplessly laughing out loud on about three occasions, and greatly moved on several more.

Although it's about the election of the Pope, it doesn't mock Catholicism, it is about an old man's bewilderment and isolation. Here's when I laughed: When the atheist pschyiatrist (played by Moretti) quotes Job to the Cardinals (and not the other way round); when the Swiss Guard given the job of impersonating the Pope in his appartment greatly overplays his role; the way the volleyball game develops, with all the participants taking it very seriously by the end. I was greatly moved at the scene when the Pope was talking to himself on the bus/underground/some form of public transport. I thought the way in which the Chekhov play was worked into the plot was just so skilful - the Pope, who says he would have liked to be an actor, happens to know all the lines and the principal actor, just like the Pope, is in mental anguish.

I do agree with the other reviewer who said that the ending is a bit disappointing, but as I can't suggest a better one, I'm not complaining about it. This was my first film by Nanni Moretti and I'll definitely make a point of watching others. It was also beautifully acted.
on 23 January 2014
a moving story of the vatican machine against a man who knows he is not the right one to be the pope. its a tour de force of human vunerablity and a film that once bought will be treasured for life
on 20 March 2014
Loved this film, it showed the very human and vulnerable side of life within the vatican, expertly produced it was at times very moving and also quite funny. You can learn a lot from a film like this, we are so used to seeing the Pope and Cardinals dressed in all their finery and they seem so distant from us, but this film shows us their profound vulnerabilities and their worries and much more beside, its a very good film, and I look forward to watching it again many times.
on 14 May 2013
A pope that does not want to be pope and a atheistic psychologist inside the vatican make a great movie to watch.

The movie is funny and serious. The slow pace of the directing creates a relaxed mood and the audience can focus on

the emotions of the characters.
on 16 April 2013
I saw the film on tv and liked it a lot, mostly for the wonderful performance of the French actor playing the reluctant pope, also for the very distinct and nice Italian they all speak, I liked the film a lot.
on 22 March 2013
I am studying Italian, and as this film has subtitles (can be switched off course) it helps me improve on the language I have learnt, so far. It made me laugh out loud in places. I'd recommend it to those who are studying Italian, or can speak some Italian, or don't mind subtitles. The story line and ending, was not what I expected, which kept me watching till the end.
on 7 May 2013
I missed it when it was in the theaters, and took advantage of the recent pope election to give it a go. It is a really touching movie.
on 4 January 2016
I was surprised just how much I enjoyed this film as it provides a fairly accurate glimpse as to the goings on within the locked doors of the Vatican City when electing a new pope,
I bought it for a friend but have put that on hold until I have time to see​ it again for the third time.

PS. I would not describe this as a comedy...guess it had to be called that to be able to show it in Rome, maybe?
on 24 September 2013
I very much enjoyed this dvd-a cousin in France who had seen it on French tv said that it was very amusing and enjoyable. Yes it is amusing and enjoyable but in addition it has a more serious message concerning the weight of responsibility that a man who is elected Pope faces. I think the film conveys this very well and you can feel sympathy for him. I think it was made before the retirement of Benedict xvi so it was, in some ways prophetic!
on 22 May 2013
The film is a visual marvel, and the acting is excellent - the boyish joy of the cardinals compares beautifully with Michel Piccoli's tragic Melville - but it was made at a time when no pope had given up the papacy for centuries, and the gentle comedy which is sustained throughout the film is dealt a wrecking ball treatment by an ending which has a particular edge in 2013. Even without the real world context, the eventual ending would have made more sense comedically if the College of Cardinals and other officials had been pursuing ulterior motives (beyond not having to do the job themselves, and wanting to get back to a quiet coffee in the mornings). Instead, their desperate efforts to maintain stability throughout are met with a crushing blow that literally sees them fold. Perhaps the alternative outcome would have been a cop-out, but noone 'wins' or meets with consolation at the end of 'We Have A Pope' and overall, it was quite a disappointment. Hopefully I'll watch it again at some point and have a different reaction; best leave it a while.