4.0 out of 5 stars A must buy for Pokemon fans
Pokemon 4Ever (4/5)

I was a big Pokemon fan back when it was initially popular. I've not had a fix for a while and I decided that this, the fourth Pokemon feature film, would be good enough. It exceeded my expectations.

Published 24 months ago by Inspector Gadget

3.0 out of 5 stars Could Be Better
Published 20 months ago by Mr. A. Easton

4.0 out of 5 stars A must buy for Pokemon fans, 29 Aug 2012
Inspector Gadget "Go Go Gadget Reviews" (On the trail of Doctor Claw) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Pokemon 4Ever (4/5)

Ash, eternal jailbate tease Misty, and Brock enter a mysterious forest in their ongoing travels which is inhabited by many rare Pokemon. Out of the blue a young boy appears with his newly befriended Celebi. He's time-traveled 40 years to escape a cruel Pokemon hunter but is soon on the run again when a new villain from Team Rocket turns up. The gang follow, keen to learn about Celebi and keep him safe. Jesse, James, and Meowth tag along in the background and provide the usual comic relief.

Pokemon 4Ever feels a lot like a Hayao Miyazaki film with it's environmental message, forest setting/imagery, and beautifully detailed animation. The plot is also clever and has a surprisingly touching twist. I was very impressed with this sequel and I highly recommend it.

The Western version of the film contains an extra scene at the end, explaining the twist with a little more clarity as it was originally only hinted at in the end credits, but not too many kids would hang around during the credits, so I can see why the Weinsteins would insist on it. But, for a change, it's not a Miramax alteration that voids the integrity of the film.

Pokemon Heroes (3.5/5)

The 5th Pokemon movie, is a step down from the previous entry in the series but is still better than a 5th movie ought to be. Ash, Misty, and Brock arrive in a Venice-type town called Altomare for a water Chariot race involving their Pokemon.

The town is protected by legendary Pokemon siblings Latios and Latias, who can assume human forms. Meanwhile, Annie and Oakley, a couple of cat burglars from Team Rocket (this affiliation is only in the Western dub) attempt to steal a special jewel called the Soul Dew, which powers the city.

It takes just a little too long to get going. Jesse, James, and Meowth are featured, but they don't really have much to do. However there are still some lovely moments, a bittersweet ending, and in the end they do add up to more than the sum of their parts. The animation and architecture of Altomare echoes the look and feel of Koriko from Kiki's Delivery Service. I just wish that Miramax didn't tamper with it before releasing it to Western audiences. There is about 5 minutes missing and its inclusion might have made the film a little bit stronger.

The movies are presented in lovely-looking 1.85:1 1080p with DTS HD-MA sound. There are many extras listed on the back but I insist that THERE ARE NO EXTRAS ON THIS DISC! Studio Canal tell me that there are...but there are none. Plain and simple.

I hope that more Pokemon come to Blu-ray. Warner own the rights to the first three movies, so it's a bit awkward getting 4 and 5 first, I guess all we can do is wait.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pokemon DVD, 6 Dec 2013
This review is from: Pokemon Forever & Pokemon Heroes [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
The DVD was appreciated and so have awarded 4 stars. Not for me, I'm too old for these types of DVDs.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic nostalgic expeirence, 2 Sep 2013
This review is from: Pokemon Forever & Pokemon Heroes [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This is a fantastic buy for any Pokemon fans out there, a true treasured memory of my childhood brought back to life in full HD with the power of Blu-Ray it's defiantly worth the buy and I love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pokemon Forever & Pokemon Heroes (Blu-rey), 10 Feb 2013
This review is from: Pokemon Forever & Pokemon Heroes [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I can say that wen it coms to the movie pokemon movie's have the eventure and action . And this two movie's are very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought For Wee Boy, 2 Feb 2013
This review is from: Pokemon Forever & Pokemon Heroes [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Purchased this as my little boy is Pokemon nuts. Has kept him well occupied and he never grows tired of watching it. I think both the reviewers before me have pretty much nailed it on the head. So there isn't anything more to elaborate on.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could Be Better, 28 Dec 2012
Mr. A. Easton - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pokemon Forever & Pokemon Heroes [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Being the big Pokemon fan that I have been for over 12 years, I've seen these 2 movies to death over the years. Heck, I watch all of the Pokemon movies in November to celebrate my birthday every year. So as I was drawing closer to Blu Ray, it was great news there were releasing the films onto Blu Ray, but I'd never imagine we'd get a Blu Ray of our own so soon (Australia has movies 12-14 on Blu Ray, America has 4 to 6, and Japan has all of them on Blu Ray.).

Was it worth the wait and upgrade? Let's take a look.

I won't go into story details since most of us have probably seen the movies, but if you haven't this will make your mind up over which format to go for anyway.

For Pokemon 4Ever, the picture does look good, but it does suffer a bit from grain. It does not effect viewing pleasure, but you can't tell it was more or less an upscale. However, we do finally get the movie in widescreen, which is a huge plus as the original DVD was Fullscreen only. One example of this is when Ash, Brock and Misty first meet Dianna. When Brock chats up Dianna, you couldn't see Ash and Misty look like "-_-" at him, but now you can on the Blu Ray. I'm not a technically expert, but the sound comes off as okay. For music its fine, but for speaking, you do have to have the volume up a bit to hear it.

As for Heroes, I was never really a bit fan of the English Dub. It just really falls short of the much superior Japanese version not just in voices, but in picture too. For some reason or another, they added a blue taint over the picture for the English dub and it really comes off as too blue or too dark in places, and sadly the Blu Ray keeps that. The Japanese version really looks more brighter and beautiful, and you could really tell the artists went to good effort in designing the buildings and city as they did actually go to Venice for that reason alone (I'd recommend finding a copy of the Japanese version to see what I mean). Other then that taint, the picture looks okay, but the same sound issues as 4 Ever are here as well.

What really loses an extra star is the missing extras. The back of the cases lists some extras, including 2 Pikachu Shorts, that were on the original US DVD releases, but they are not present on the disc. Guess Pikachu's Pikaboo goes without another UK release...

So is it worth your money? If you are a diehard Pokemon fan like myself, you'll probably buy it anyway, but if you are not too fussed about the picture or sound and like the English dubs, then its worth it to have these movies in widescreen at last. If picture and sound is important, then my best advise is to pick up the Japanese Blu Ray Boxset that has movies 1-13. Sure, its in Japanese, but you won't get better picture or sound till the next format comes along.

If this is for your kids, then I'm sure they won't notice the issues and enjoy both movies. Just as long as they don't see the Extras listings on the back of the case.... XD

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 30 July 2014
This review is from: Pokemon Forever & Pokemon Heroes [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
great family film takes me back my daughter loves the films

Pokemon Forever & Pokemon Heroes [Blu-ray]
Pokemon Forever & Pokemon Heroes [Blu-ray] by Kunihiko Yuyama (Blu-ray - 2012)