5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Series!
Published 21 months ago by FT

3.0 out of 5 stars So So
For anyone who did not see the original this version is acceptable, and it is good to see Jean Marsh again in the cast, but as the creator of the original version I wonder what she thinks of this one.
After watching this I searched for and found the original and am now very happy to have it. It was superb viewing and a much longer series.
Published on 15 Aug. 2012 by Charlie

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Series!, 29 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Upstairs Downstairs - Complete Series 1 and 2 Box Set [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
Since I've seen Upstairs on television I've been in love with it! Lovely funny and entertaining characters, Wonderful costumes and the glamorous 1930's atmosphere really makes the whole show very unique. People keep comparing it to Downton (which I love as well) But it's a completely different kind of series story wise. Especially the second series is really good! Get it if you love Period dramas and 1930 music like I do! It's a shame the BBC cut the series!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent dvd box set, 10 Dec. 2013
I bought this for my grandmother for something to watch with her over Christmas as we are both downton abbey fans... I got hooked, loved it, really good series and we had it all watched in 2 weeks we liked it that much!

3.0 out of 5 stars So So, 15 Aug. 2012

3.0 out of 5 stars Predictable story, 4 Jan. 2013
I mistakenly ordered this thinking it was the original version. There was a lot of good acting, but there were only 6 episodes, so not a lot of material to get into. The beginning was confusing and unclear if you had not seen the earlier parts and the end was very abrupt. The story did not flow very well.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as Cranford, 4 April 2014
Lyn (London, Great Britain) - See all my reviews
Upstairs Downstairs is OK, but not nearly as good as Cranford. The characters (especially the younger sister) is super annoying, and the servants, well... I just don't think things happened quite that way.

Also, how do they look after that huge house with only a handful of servants?

4.0 out of 5 stars yesteryears, 27 Aug. 2012
This series isn't quite up to the class of Downton Abbey,however if Downton Abbey had not have happened we would have nothing to compare Upstairs Downstairs against, as it is probably the 2nd best series portraying this era,and it is sad that the series was restricted to a total of 2 seasons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost as good as Downtown Abbey, 9 Sept. 2012
" I thought I was infact going to get the original Upstairs Downstairs- with Mrs Bridges and the such like- so I watched with intrepidation at the later more up to date version, was very impressed and couldn't stop watching-
I felt the series 2 was even better than the series 1- superb acting, good as it gets with the lead-up to the 2nd World War.
If you liked Downtown Abbey- this will be a pleaser as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a shame there wont be another series :-(, 23 July 2012
Really enjoyed this, not quite Downtown Abbey, but very enjoyable, disappointing there wont be another series, even my teenage son got into the last couple of episodes!

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable, 18 Feb. 2013
I loved it. Yes I did compare it to Downton Abbey but I loved the characters, the costumes, the settings - I know that I'll watch the DVD's a number of times. I'll watch them as I do other things then stop doing whatever I am doing to concentrate when it comes to an interesting part. i do remember the original series however I am comfortable with this series.

It is fascinating to see the differences in social classes and I watch the breakfast meals with fascination. The importance of position in the class wars is so interesting. I look at the clothes, the styles, the hair, the small size of people - and yes they are actors but I notice things.

Get it and enjoy - I did!

3.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable broadcast, 2 July 2012
I had some doubts with the two first episodes. The story and the actors were good but I was a bit disappointed with the (stage) set; almost only indoors sequences.
I was much more convinced with the next episodes where history play an important part. I was sorry that Eileen Atkins didn't play in the second serie because she's excellent and her character is one of the most interesting.
I should like to recommend this serie.

Upstairs Downstairs - Complete Series 1 and 2 Box Set [DVD] [2011]