5.0 out of 5 stars excellent dvd box set
I bought this for my grandmother for something to watch with her over Christmas as we are both downton abbey fans... I got hooked, loved it, really good series and we had it all watched in 2 weeks we liked it that much!
Published 8 months ago by laura edinburgh

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear!
Published 2 months ago by Carmen

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear!, 16 Jun 2014
This review is from: Upstairs Downstairs - Complete Series 1 and 2 Box Set [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
I got this to help get me through the world cup weeks and I am half way through series 2 and losing the will to live - not to mention seriously thinking that football would actually be more exciting! This is awful. I'm sorry - there's a stellar cast - but the writing is the most hideous thing I've ever encountered. And I'm prepared to be taken away to the tower, but whoever had the idea of casting Anne Reid as a Cockney cook seriously needs to look for work in a different industry. Shame, because the only bit of decent writing is her occasional one-liners.

I love Keeley Hawes and she seems like a lovely person, but you can almost see the strain on her face trying to be so damn Nice the whole time, regardless of what happens. Ridiculous story lines.

The continuity is dreadful. After the boxing scene Spargo goes from a clean face immediately after the match to various red blotches on varying bits of his face for days afterwards. At one point Anne Reid goes up the stairs to enter the front door and the next take is of her entering the downstairs servants' quarters.....oh it goes on. The stories are just ridiculous and both Johnny and Spargo have had at least 2 personality transplants since the beginning of series one. I won't even begin to talk about the ridiculous sister who has just begun (spoiler alert just in case anyone cares) snogging her brother in law......well I suppose there's no one left to snog now the monkey's been written out (oopsie, another spoiler, sorry!.)

I've just put my star rating down from 2 to 1 after writing this - I'd given it 2 because I like some of the actors in it....but I think they need to take it off their CVs to be honest. What a load of rubbish. I've seen better writing in primary schools. Much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent dvd box set, 10 Dec 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Series!, 29 Sep 2013
Since I've seen Upstairs on television I've been in love with it! Lovely funny and entertaining characters, Wonderful costumes and the glamorous 1930's atmosphere really makes the whole show very unique. People keep comparing it to Downton (which I love as well) But it's a completely different kind of series story wise. Especially the second series is really good! Get it if you love Period dramas and 1930 music like I do! It's a shame the BBC cut the series!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as Cranford, 4 April 2014
Lyn (London, Great Britain) - See all my reviews
Upstairs Downstairs is OK, but not nearly as good as Cranford. The characters (especially the younger sister) is super annoying, and the servants, well... I just don't think things happened quite that way.

Also, how do they look after that huge house with only a handful of servants?

2.0 out of 5 stars Season 1 is okay, but season 2 is awful, 8 Jan 2014
Jackal (New Hampshire) - See all my reviews
Here are the major weaknesses:
1. The acting is pretty good in the first season, but for some reason really falls flat in the second.
2. A lot of actors disappear in the second season, for instance the grandmother and the housekeeper; two central characters in the first season. Without these, the show falls flat in season 2.
3. The attempt to include world politics in the series really fails (e.g Ribbentrop and Hitler). The problem is that the author has created the dialogue with the benefit of hindsight. Thus, it happens that the leading male character is able to forecast everything about Hitler. This is a rather pathetic way to write a screenplay.
4. All the actors largely act and behave like modern people. This is plain silly. The author has probably done this so that the average viewer can "identify" with the characters. Sad that a chance to really understand people from the 1930s was totally wasted.
5. In season 2, one of the biggest themes is to save the Jews in Germany. Really, was everyone aware of the situation for the Jews in 1938? I don't think so. This is just very opportunistic content to sell the show to the US

My recommendation is to buy season 1 (three stars) and really skip season 2 (one star). Or don't bother at all. Maybe buy the original from the 1970s instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Upstairs Downstairs - Complete Series 1 and 2 Box Set [DVD] [2011], 25 Sep 2013
Good price for the box set
excellent production. Clever link with the previous 1970's series.
Will wait for series three

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than downton, 6 Aug 2013
M. G. A. Sluis (Holland) - See all my reviews
I cannot imagine what the reasons are of stopping these series . They are more lively and "real than Downton I like that one too but let's face it -it is rather sweet So yes I liked these series !

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good value, 17 July 2013
Was exactly as I expected. The acting and,production values were of a very high standard. Hope more of these quality programs will be released,.

3.0 out of 5 stars Predictable story, 4 Jan 2013
I mistakenly ordered this thinking it was the original version. There was a lot of good acting, but there were only 6 episodes, so not a lot of material to get into. The beginning was confusing and unclear if you had not seen the earlier parts and the end was very abrupt. The story did not flow very well.

4.0 out of 5 stars yesteryears, 27 Aug 2012
This series isn't quite up to the class of Downton Abbey,however if Downton Abbey had not have happened we would have nothing to compare Upstairs Downstairs against, as it is probably the 2nd best series portraying this era,and it is sad that the series was restricted to a total of 2 seasons.

Upstairs Downstairs - Complete Series 1 and 2 Box Set [DVD] [2011]