on 29 April 2012
it was a good story I read three of the sugar girls story's they where basicly the same so i would not buy again
on 6 April 2012
Oh What a true east end girl. Always up for a lark. I really enjoy this one Just as good a Lillian's story. Hope the rest are as good.
on 4 May 2012
word of warning!, all the stories in the 4 'named' sugar girl books are stories 'lifted ' from the origional life & loves of the sugar girls book, so if you have read or ordered the first book in the series dont waste your money getting any of the others.
on 19 June 2013
I bought this, even though it is quite different from the style of books I usually choose.

I found it very interesting to learn about the micro-society of the Tate & Lyle factory, and the opportunities it offered to the girls working there, in hard times.

The Blitz experience was very personally related, which was much easier to understand in human terms than an account in a history book.

However the author's literary style leaves a lot to be desired, and it was more like reading a string of facts, or a diary than actually getting engrossed in a novel.

I read through to the end, but did not feel an amazing feeling on completion as you often do with a good novel.

It might make a good screen play, with the right treatment.
on 13 May 2012
Very good, one can imagine being part of life in Tate and Lyle back then. Well researched, well written, I wish there were more books about this subject.
on 20 December 2012
I really loved theese books,the storys were moving and the characters really pulled me in to their world and they were true! I was facinated to learn what it was like in those days and how different it was compared to now. I would have liked to work at one of the factorys, it sounded like a lot of fun, although the books did highlight how hard those days were also. I think theese books are for people who have an interest in the past.
on 24 March 2013
I love this story about Tate and Lyle sugar factory and about the characters who make up the various sections of the factory.. This book not only tells about the girls work life but also about their background and their personalities. This book is one which you do not want to finish! I liked reading about Gladys growing up and about her tomboyish ways.The antics would no doubt not be tolerated in this day of health and safety
on 17 March 2013
Yet another fantastic book. I could just sit and read these one after another. They are 'real life' and it reminds me of wonderful stories told to me by my nan and mom. If only we could turn back time! Friends you made then, remained with you for a lifetime, sadly unlike today. These books really lift your spirits. Keep them coming I say. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED TO EVERYONE. AAAA******* 10/10 Happy Reading from purplemom.
on 29 May 2013
I am fascinated by stories of life in years gone by and of the way people battled through the hardship of poor working conditions and long hours but managed to maintain a reasonable standard of life. My only complaint really is that I wanted the story to last longer. I actually purchased all 4 of the Sugar Girls stories and the same can be said of all of them.
on 11 May 2016
Really enjoyed the beginning of this book and it really made you feel like you knew some of the characters but I just felt the end was rushed but as I haven't read the read of the books yet maybe It continues on into another book . A lovely read but wanted more .