5.0 out of 5 stars Great size and clarity
Published 7 months ago by Chris

3.0 out of 5 stars Even Better!
Published 8 months ago by PeterH

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great size and clarity, 3 Jan 2014
This review is from: NIX 18.5 inch Hi-Res Digital Photo Frame, with Motion Sensor, 4GB USB Memory, Photo, Video & Music - X18B (Camera)
This is probably the best digital picture frame I have seen. Digital frames took a bit of a hammering when they first became mainstream - people bought them and then realised that the screens were too tiny to see photos properly and the resolution on the tiny screen was crappy anyway. I have to say that the 18" screen from Nix is a refreshing change and shows that digital picture frames have now come of age. Yes, it's expensive compared to some frames but you get what you pay for. The screen is huge and the resolution is extremely good. It is sleek for its size and does not look out of place in the living room.

Lots of good features - controllable transition time etc. and the motion sensor to turn the frame on/off when no-one is around is nice. It can play movies too although I haven't tried. The remote control is fairly standard but does the job and the included 4Gb memory stick is tiny and all that's needed for getting it running straight out of the box. People get frustrated with digital frames because they don't seem to display their pictures correctly - just remember to resize or crop your photos to the native resolution of the picture frame (i.e. in this case 1366x768) and they will display exactly as you intended them.

In summary then, a great size picture frame for the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality worth paying for, 14 Mar 2014
There is no doubt that you will be impressed by the good looks and excellent build quality. We use ours on the secure screw-in stand but there are screw holes/slots to mount it on a vertical flat surface or you can use the VESA mounting points.You get the best viewing angle when you hold the screen vertically at eye level and look straight at it - ie wall-mounted at eye level. This means that if viewing from above or below the screen you get the best picture by tilting it appropriately. Hence as ours is on a lowish table top we have tilted it to a slightly more vertical position to improve picture quality (we used blu tack!).

And really good picture quality is what you get with this screen. All our pictures were edited with the same software and we have used the brightness, contrast, and saturation controld to get a superb picture, This is a crucial facility as something that looks excellent on your computer screen can look less good when shown on another screen with different colour balance etc. This is easily the best screen of maybe ten screens that I have set up in the past few years and (unusually) shows every pixel of my 16:9 edited photos when other lesser products seem to often crop out detail that I know is on the full frame.

Now the bad points - and remember this is a five star review as most of them are trivial to me. It will show your pictures in order - take heed of the advice in a better than usual manual over how to store pictures in files/folders on USB or SD media. But by far the biggest fault is that it will not shuffle your pictures. Shuffling requires it to sort them into a random order and show all the pictures so there are no repeats. Having completed the whole collection it should re-randomize them and repeat the process. Instead it shows a picture at random each time which means that yesterday I saw the same photo (of 500+) twice within a few shots which is really annoying as this happens quite frequently. However I can live with it. I also can live with the unpleasant calendar display because I never use it - bit it needs a redesign with bigger date font, a large clock and picture display and more pleasing presentation. And like most people I will never use the limited video display facility and have not tested what I suspect may be limited sound quality. A minor point - I think it is an 18 inch LCD screen and not 18.5 inches and LED as advertised.

The remote control is useful and similar to Bose products that I also use. Those using the screen in public places will welcome the screw-in cover that secures the power supply and SD/USB media. All will enjoy being able to buy a large digital frame with excellent picture quality and resolution for a sensible price. And the motion sensor is a brilliant addition - enabling the frame to turn itself off if there is no movement after a time you choose, then it will not come to life until someone moves in its vicinity.In case you missed it. A great product at a fair price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories, 12 Nov 2013
We bought this picture frame because we take all our photos digitally now, and we hardly ever get to see them.

I wanted a frame that was large enough to see easily, and that could be left on all the time, so we could see our photos any time we were in the room.

I initially looked for a frame that was very low energy, that could be left displaying images all the time. Then i came across the NIX photo frame, with its motion sensor.

This is absolutely perfect for us. We have it set to use the motion sensor, and for it to shut down after ten mins of no movement in the room. It starts up the instant we walk into the room, at where it left off at last. We have it in the room that we spend most of our time.

We also have it set to display 4 images at one time. It randomly cycles through all the images stored on our micro SD card (in a USB adapter), and changes each image at a different time.

You can set a miriad of photo transitions, although we only use fade in and out. The number of settings is way too long to list, it has endless possibilities to completely personalise it.

In short, we love it, and would highly recommend it to anyone. This is money well spent. And the 18" version is just the right size. The only negative is, we find ourselves spending large amounts of time either stood or sat watching it, and reminiscing. The split screen gives you great contrast with the 4 random images it display, eg, me in Rocky Horror gear, next to Kates Gran unwrapping a christmas present!

We made the mistake of buying a flat wall mount, but there is no need, as the frame has screw hooks in the back of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Br ill isn't, 20 Aug 2013
This is great, the clarity of the pictures is brilliant. I had previously had a small 7 inch digital but as I have a large living room I couldn't see the pictures from a distance. This product shows all of my photos clearly, one thing only, on my earlier product I could insert a memory card, with this one I have to use the attachment supplied

3.0 out of 5 stars Even Better!, 3 Dec 2013
This is my second digital photo frame from NIX - having first purchased a 12 inch frame a while ago and been really impressed with the quality of the product, the display options and - having used it for several months - the sustained picture quality. I decided to go for the larger frame to use as display for my ever growing portfolio of photography project pictures, but my wife has now commandeered it and it has taken pride of place in our living room displaying family pictures in split screen mode!! The large screen allows you to use the split screen function without having to squint to see the cropped portrait images in smaller frames, and the motion sensor is just great as it avoids having to guess when to set the timer for.

One small improvement that I would love to see is a more flexible split screen function to allow landscape pictures, in particular, to randomly show as a single frame - as all the landscape photos are effectively limited to a quarter of the screen size - which is in any event about the same as a small photo frame. so not a train smash I guess this may be a software limitation, but would be a really "nice to have" enhancement.

Update - after a few months of use the supplied USB stick suddenly failed - all of a sudden it could not be accessed and on checking it says format is not recognised and when trying to re-format it says it is write protected so one useless USB stick!! Luckily I have a back up, but after a second failure to read another USB stick after two days I have abandoned the idea of using a usb and am trying an SD card - so far, so good. Sadly I have had no response from NIX customer service, hence my changing my rating

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive customer service and a snazzy frame!, 4 Nov 2013
After experiencing troubles with the frame (see below for my first review), the customer service at NIX contacted me almost immediately offering what I can only describe as a brilliant offer. While explicitly making it clear that they do not want the faulty frame back, they sent me a brand new one, free of charge. Thank you for this!

As for the frame, I got it for a 3 week-long art exhibition to display a video (btw, the sounds is amazing, I completely wasn't expecting such a high volume!) One of the most brilliant qualities of the frame I think is the motion sensor which allows me to keep my work up for the whole duration of the exhibition without worrying: the frame automatically turns off after a set time (you can adjust that according to your preferences) of not sensing any movement and then immediately turns back on again when someone is in its vicinity. The motion sensor works like a charm (it's very sensitive, which is a great PLUS).

The colors are good (you can adjust contrast, brightness, saturation etc) and the frame itself looks very sleek. (PLUS)I've had several people commenting about how nice it looks and I agree, it's a very elegant piece of equipment.

I can now say that I'm a happy customer! :) Thanks again for your generous gift, NIX!

-----------------
Original review
(I'll start off by saying that the frame is mediocre (in regards to the screen quality) and continue by adding that it's missing one pixel in the left middle side of the screen and a CLUTTER of pixels about 3 cm wide near the bottom. For the price, this is completely unacceptable and unfortunately I cannot send it back due to practical reasons (I need it for the next 3 weeks for a presentation and it is too late to get another one).
I'm so sad about this purchase)

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent service. Well packaged and padded, 6 Aug 2014
Ordered on Sunday 3rd August and delivered on Tuesday 5th, excellent service.
Well packaged and padded.
The display is clear and crisp and it deals with different file sizes and picture resolutions with no problems.
The human sensor works fine.
Assuming it remains reliable then I would consider it a good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hi Resolution supporting Video and Audio...Awesome, 3 Jan 2014
Now there are photo frames and there are photo frames.....this one is the 'Daddy' of them all. The WXGA LCD Screen (16:9) delivers crisp sharp images at a size you cannot find elsewhere returning a resolution of 1366 x 768. In theory, this shouldn't be as the market has moved to tablets.....but the size and image quality makes a massive difference coupled with the slim-line aesthetics driven by a simple to use menu guiding you through various options to display video, or images with music to your own desire(don't expect a boom-box). To top it off, the motion sensing 'wakes up' the photo-frame which also means this is great for small shops and not just the home. All we need now is an Android TV capability embedded.....then good riddance to my old 15" tube TV in the back room!

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Kit, 14 May 2014
Received item today , quicker than expected , blinding bit of kit , actually bought for daughter and son-in-law to put all their wedding pictures on instaed of wedding album . So good am considering getting one for myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Photo Frame, 2 April 2014
I'm delighted with my purchase of this 18.5 inch digital photo frame which is perfect to display photos of the grandchildren and holidays. I love the way it comes on and off using the sensor so is always showing when you're in the room. I've had so many compliments and have gone on to buy a couple more smaller frames from NIX as presents. Easy to set up and load photos so I'm very happy with it and consider it was worth the money.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›