4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!
An amazing and believable story concept with so many great twists and turns. So good I couldn't put it down until I'd finished it. Definitely going to check out the authors other books!
Published 11 months ago by Beth Goodson

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Tale
This is set in the future but somehow doesn't feel like sci-fi.
Published 20 months ago by Fellini

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Tale, 9 Feb 2013
This review is from: Windigo Soul (Kindle Edition)
This is set in the future but somehow doesn't feel like sci-fi.
It's a world where citizens are retired upon reaching their sixtieth birthday, the retirement being a euphemism for euthanasia. To the outside world, the bodies are cremated and returned to their kin, but on the inside is a far more sinister state-run power plant where the retiree's bodies are put to use.
The story involves a worker at the plant escaping and racing against time to save his wife before she is admitted to the plant.
I read this in a couple of hours and enjoyed the story but can't help thinking it could so easily have become a really good full length novel. There is plenty of scope within the story for subplots and offshoots, and the characters could have been developed much more.
I'd rate this overall at 3 stars since I did really enjoy the story but was left feeling somewhat short-changed because it ended up being a throw-away novella when it could have been a top class novel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 18 Nov 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars Short Dystopian Fiction, 4 April 2013
Karl Gallagher "Lugodoc" (Portsmouth UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Windigo Soul (Kindle Edition)
Well written and interesting as far as it went, but it ended too soon and in the words of my old school teacher "I would like to have read more". A novella, not a novel.

3.0 out of 5 stars Story lacking, 7 Mar 2013
This review is from: Windigo Soul (Kindle Edition)
Started off well but the plot/story did not follow a credible course - ending left too many gaps. Author seemingly ran out of ideas.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unusual premise, 7 Feb 2013
This review is from: Windigo Soul (Kindle Edition)
This book is quite unique in its story line, but I have to say that I quite enjoy ed it. Would make a good low budget movie.

4.0 out of 5 stars Something different, 3 Jan 2013
This review is from: Windigo Soul (Kindle Edition)
Not my usual choice, but am pleased that I bought it. An excellent book that made me think outside the box

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr Brumm, write more books!, 30 May 2012
HarleyGirl (West of England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Windigo Soul (Kindle Edition)
I may have skipped over this book, because the title didn't immediately draw me in, but once I read the blurb, I knew I wanted to read the whole thing. And I'm glad I did. I'm not going to go into exhaustive plot details, you can get those from the book when you read it....I just want to say that I was instantly pulled into Hank's world and sucked along for the whole shocking, emotional, gruesome ride.

Well written, exciting, grisly, chilling, and far too short! This is the kind of book I love to read.

Great story, I highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, fast paced story, I thoroughly enjoyed this book, 3 May 2012
The Kindle Book Review (Indianapolis, IN) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
*** Spoiler Alert ***

Hank Reed is approaching his 60th birthday, this means he is due for retirement, in this overpopulated earth it means that he will be euthanised. His wife Peg will reach her retirement a few months later.

The retirees are euthanised and cremated .... or are they? I won't spoil this for you but the story completely captured my imagination and piqued my interest.

This is only a short book so I read it in one go, I was keen to find out the outcome.

The part of the book where Hank has to go for his appointment to be euthanised is really quite emotional.

There are some quite shocking parts in the book which are disturbing and some sad parts too about couples only being allowed one child and what happens if they fall pregnant again.

If Sci-Fi is not your usual Genre and you would like to give it a go this book would be a good starting point. It is well written and keeps you engaged.

The story is fast paced and has a few twists and turns on the way.

The main character Hank is very likeable and the main bad guy Lieutenant Hendricks is extremely hateful. The other characters in the book have been developed well too.

I also liked how Hank and John's relationship developed in the story as I feel all may not have been well in the past.

This is a story where it's a fast race for good guy to overcome bad guy and save a few people along the way.

I thought the author ended the book well and it was unexpected which is something I like when reading a book.

This is the first book I have read by this author and would be interested to read more of his work.

4 stars from me.

Becky Sherriff (The Kindle Book Review)

5.0 out of 5 stars Just a little too believable for comfort!, 13 July 2014
Annie W "bookworm" (Aberdeenshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Windigo Soul (Kindle Edition)
There's no need for another précis of the plot, but I have to say I downloaded this out of curiosity over its title, since this type of novel is not one I'd normally buy; I'm very grateful I did. The plot is a little ahead of reality, but I have a nasty feeling that there are people out there now who would have no problems setting it up.....

The characterisations are swiftly-drawn but convincing. I didn't like Sara, who was a rather selfish whinger, with not much to contribute, but the rest were superb, whether goodie or baddie. Descriptions of the city, the way of life (such as it was), and the utter resignation of the general populace were all extremely-well portrayed. The nastiness of Windigo, the determined struggle of the breakaways, the excitement of retaliation, the tension of the hunt for the rebels, the depths of Man's cruelty to Man, were expertly painted. I got great satisfaction from the final outcome - although I think the author might want to read up a little on the impact (both at the time and thereafter) of the detonation of a ground-burst 5KT nuclear weapon on those even quite a long way away from Ground Zero.

A very, very enjoyable story, which kept me enthralled - at times revolted - and unable to put it down. I'm keeping it on my Kindle, and will be looking for more from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly amazing dystopian tale of retirement, 26 Mar 2014
This review is from: Windigo Soul (Kindle Edition)
Windigo Soul is a thought provoking tale of retirement but not as we know it set in a dystopian future run by a government who's ideals on saving the future are only leading to its demise.

Hank Reed has just turned 60 and by the laws of the United Federation of Nations Hank is being retired or simply euthanised to save the world from overpopulation, although Hank is legally required to under go this process Hank is having doubts very big ones that will change his, his families and the rest of the worlds futures for good.

This is a brilliant well written thought provoking novel that is equally as touching as Cormac McCarthy's "The Road"

Don't miss this amazing book

Windigo Soul