Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£7.19

on 28 May 2012
This is a fine book on the life and times of Saladin. Thoroughly researched and crisply written, I would recommend this book as an introduction to not only one of Islam's most colorful and intriguing leaders, but also to the complicated world of the 12th century Levant.
on 22 May 2012
Brought this to do some research into the life of this great legend of Islamic history, but the author's style is not for the simple-minded like myself :) Opting for a more easy-to-follow book which doesn't assume I am a historian!
on 13 July 2015
A like-new copy of this book was delivered well within a week of my ordering it. A fascinating man, a very good writer.....looking forward to reading this one! Thank you very much.
on 7 April 2016
Considerable bias by the author .Essentially a western narrative of the history of this great man.
Would not recommend if you are looking for a factual , balanced account.
on 13 August 2013
My interests in the religious crusades jointly with my enthusiasm for biographies let me to this book. The first book I have read on a significant person of the Muslim belief, and what an imposing person he was!

There is a reason why Saladin or rather Salah-ad-Din is so well known in the western world, he was an exceptional commander on the battlefield, had great political skills and that combined with his moral values gave an interesting opponent to the Western/Catholic world. Because, let there be no mistake, he wanted to crush the Catholic system and spread the Muslim belief.

Reading the book itself wasn't always easy considering the fact that you come across many Arabic names which are sometimes hard to seperate from each other. If the reader has an interest in history and more specific to this period in time it would be of great benefit. But then again it's not a necessity.

About the writer: Geoffrey Hindley has written a number of books on the medieval times, of which most are found here on Amazon.co.uk and other sites.

In other words, the content of the book is reliable and you will gather a lot of knowledge from it, with only two hundred pages it's the ideal introduction into the crusades from the Arabic point of view.
on 26 February 2013
Very well written and easy to read. And very informative. I am very glad i decided to read this book.
on 8 December 2015
Wow what an amazing man and what an emotional roller coaster journey reading this book is.
on 12 December 2015
Looking forward to reading this and getting a different point of view on the crusades
on 7 November 2011
I first became aware of Salahoudin whilst at school. Suffering from an extraordinary child IQ, teachers would give me books to read to stop me asking questions on subjects they had difficulty explaining in simple terms. At the age of 13 I suffered from a severe stutter for which I was mercilessly ribbed. To help me, my favourite English teacher used to stay behind after school and make me read (out loud) from various books. He then asked me to give a verbal synopsis to him on my views whilst standing at the front of an empty classroom - whilst he sat at the back marking papers etc!!! Although I cannot remember the title, one of my favourite books was about the Crusades - hence my first introduction.

Even then, I saw Saladin as a great leader of men - in thought, word and deed. This book rekindled my interest in the era and the author paints a simple, elegant framework of a hero - not just of Islam but of leadership. I genuinely believe that if a man like this existed 75 years ago, the region would not be in the turmoil it is today.

This is an excellent book.
on 23 July 2015
Any book is a good book for the kids.