Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.99

on 13 July 2012
I bought this for the Kindle under the impression that for £0.77p I had nothing to lose.

Now i've finished it, I would happily have paid the full price, maybe even shelled out for a hardback edition had i known how much of a great read this is.

As a commuter cyclist on a rickety old mountain bike, this book is a revelation. Dave's brand of humour keeps everything fresh and lighthearted and the emotive style makes it easy to relate to certain situations in your own way - from cycling in the hail to euphoric mountain ascents. Not that my local hilly Sheffield compares to Ventoux, but it's a great motivational tool nontheless.

It opens up a world of cycling that you may not know exists and the opportunities it creates are wonderful.

On the 'Tour de Dave' it's difficult not to get a bit infected by the two-wheeled obsession. My Mrs certainly won't thank me for purchasing this as it has led to a string of purchases to increase my cycling ability and image, there's even a new bike on the horizon.

For any cyclist, be they an amateur commuter like me or and professional, this book is a simply great read.

And for any non-cyclist it's a brilliantly written perspective into Dave's cycling career, guarantees to create chuckles and you never know, you might dust off your old bike and join us.

I cannot wait for another book to be published.
on 1 March 2012
This is a excellent and inspiring e-book that all cyclists can relate to and sigh with relief that you are not the only one who suffers from the obsessive disorder that is cycling.

If you ever loose your way and wonder about whether cycling is worth all the effort then read this e-book and it will be sure to get you back on track and more into cycling and challenging yourself than ever before.

Buy it !
on 22 March 2012
It did read like a collection of articles/stories (obviously). Although the introductions between articles did give the book a good cohesive structure.

Some of the stories were better than others, with some being very good indeed.

The writing style was good and it was like reading a compilation of the best bits from a cycling magazine. So considering how much we pay for magazines, I'd consider this a good buy.

Overall, I very much enjoyed reading this book.
on 20 May 2012
This is essentially a selection of 'short stories' or anecdotes about Dave's riding experiences. I've read quite a few self published novels since I got the kindle app from my phone and they've been of varied quality. Based on the decent quantity of good reviews on here, I thought I'd give it a go.

I'd say the book started fairly slowly - the story about how Dave got into cycling did pique my interest but really it took a few chapters to get me properly chuckling. Dave writes really well - he uses a lot of analogies (I *think* that's the most appropriate terminology) but not so many that you struggle to digest what he's saying. The writing is interesting and not at all diary-like. Some of the chapters (including the one about racing his GPS computer) had me nodding along and made some of my colleagues laugh too.

The only criticism of the book is that there are quite a few spellings, inappropriate apostrophes and there/their style wrong words. However whereas in most self-published books these would have driven me up the wall, because the content of Dave's was so good I was able to overlook them (hence the 5-star review - I guess if the book had been a fiver I might have dropped a star or two for them!).

If you're into cycling, this book is definitely worth a crack.
on 22 September 2012
A really enjoyable read. Unlike the author, I'm not blessed with super-high-speed reading skills. When it comes to reading, my download style (from book to brain) is more "dial-up connection" than "fibre optic broadband". Despite this, I became thoroughly enthralled in the short, witty chapters, and ploughed through this book in just over 2 days - a new "personal best" for me.

Each chapter told a different story - many of which have been submitted by the author to cycling magazines over the last few years (some were published, some were not), and some were posted on his blog (which I've not read - yet). Dave makes no bones about this, contrarily, this is explained at the start of the book, and each chapter has a short prologue describing the context within which each chapter was written. So when reading the book, I got a sense that OCCD was created from an ever evolving wealth of cycling experience, delivered in an amusing and unpretentious style.

I particularly valued the insights which it provides about various cycling events and locations. Next year's Dunwich Dynamo is on my list!

In short - this book was money well spent, and I'm looking forward to Dave's full account of Land's End to John o'Groats (take 2) whenever it's published.
on 2 April 2012
I cant profess to being a cyclist or an avid reader but after buying this for the Kindle and adding it to the list of about 35 non technical books I have ever read in my life I can say it was well worth it. Dave has an honest realworld style of writing which appeals to me. The book is hopefully the beginning of a long cycling career and even longer writing career. I liked it so much I bought the softback version on lulu dot com as well which will grace my bookshelf.
on 27 April 2012
A really enjoyable read, made all the more enjoyable by being so easy to relate to.
Dave has put into words so much that many cyclists have experienced. Simple things like all
the fuffing around before actually getting out on a ride, forgetting something, going back and forth to
the garage before leaving the house.
A good mix between the different disciplines... although I think of myself as a "roadie" I also enjoyed the mtb related stories.
on 16 September 2012
I should first mention that I have read a great deal and never once been compelled to review an item. I have also never read non-fiction that wasn't for work or University.
My first foray encouraged me to show Dave some support.

With a resurgence of my personal cycling career, I thought I'd give cycling writing a look as my first non-fiction dabble. At 77p I'd have been mad not to try this and I'm really glad I did. It was great to hear from a British bloke chuffing away at our ridiculously shaped nation (and others) and succeeding/persisting despite the literal up and downs, British weather, injury and the endless potential murderers (be it car, lorry or tree) cyclists deal with on the roads and in the wilds. His humour rang bells with my own and I found myself laughing in public wherever I'd chosen to read - couldn't put it down.
His ambition is catching.

It's not immaculate in form (digital in my case) but I felt that lent it character. If you're up for some light hearted "round the pub table" tales about cycling in the UK and further afield, or just want a reminder of why you cycle, pick this up. You'll be dusting off the bike in no time.

Looking forward to the LEJOG publication when it arrives.
on 12 April 2012
I knew I was going to love this book and it didn't disappoint. I could identify with the author so much, right down to the same injuries and 'career path' through cycling. I was also a mountain biker originally but am firmly a roadie now. The book is based on articles and blogs Dave Barter has written over many years. However it is a very good read and does hold together as a book. It's very humorous and would appeal to cyclists and would-be cyclists alike.
on 10 December 2012
This has been one of my favourite fun reads of the year - and once finished I started delving (and still do) into Dave's blog too. I love his humour. I love his obsessional devotion to cycling... and challenges... and pain... and his family (talking of family, they are clearly obsessionally devoted to him too, otherwise how could they put up with him and his bike mania?!). But apart from the laughs, this book has accompanied me on my own journey into cycling madness. From being a fair-weather, hybrid-with-panniers riding granny - I've now metamorphosed into an all-weather, carbon-fibre road cyclist in screaming-yellow gilet and lycra knickers... and I blame a lot of it on Dave (though my brother has to carry some blame too - oh, and Brad, Cav, Pendleton, Rowsell, Hoy et al). Could it be that OCCD is infectious? Is there therapy for it? Well don't tell me about it because I'm very happy to indulge my new obsession and fill my house and garage with bike stuff.

If anyone had told me at the beginning of 2012 that by the end of the year I'd be waiting impatiently for Dave Barter's next book on cycle routes, I'd have laughed in their face... yet it's nothing but the truth. So bash on Dave, and nurture your OCCD for our benefit.