5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant
I bought this Kindle version as it was inexpensive and had an intriguing title. Well I was in for a real treat. Worth much more than the cover price I paid. Top quality stuff.
Don't expect a guide book on Thailand and India - this is certainly not what the book is about.
Published on 8 Oct 2012 by Sue and Paul

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting
I very brave woman to travel in these places alone. I couldn't do it even though I travel a lot in the UK on my own. Lovely descriptions of places seen. Strange attitude to the natives she meets.i
Published 8 months ago by Janet foley

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 8 Oct 2012
This review is from: I Come Alone: Travels in Thailand and India (Kindle Edition)
The author starts by explaining why her 'successful' corporate lifestyle and lots of material stuff in her home in Australia just doesn't make her happy - and possibly never did. However, this doesn't comes across as self indulgent - just a way of explaining why she needs to make a huge change in her life.
You can't help but admire her guts at taking off into the unknown, on her own, and making a damn good story out of it at the same time. I found myself routing for her and wishing her well at every turn of the page. She writes in a very easy style that had me reading the first half of her book in just a couple of days. I felt I was walking the streets by her side sometimes as the descriptions are so easy to visualise. I am writing this review as I get to the end of one very magical book.
I hope this is the first of many travels Michelle undertakes in her lifetime and I also hope she writes about each and every one of them too. If this book doesn't make you want to reach for your own backpack (no matter how old you are) then nothing will.
I have never been to Thailand - but I know I will get there one day now, after reading this account. Her enthusiasm throughout the book is contagious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 18 Feb 2014
One of the things I love about this book is her honesty , about herself the people she meets and the places she travels I would highly recommend this book and look forward to her next one

5.0 out of 5 stars A good account of a lone travel experience, 30 Oct 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Very jealous of her courage to get up and do it. Would recommend it to anyone (especially females) who dream of quitting the rat race.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read and insight into India and Thailand, 28 Aug 2013
This book was very very good!! I have previously travelled Thailand and India a found it very good that I could relate to everything you wrote. I am currently on my way to travel south east Asia for 6 months and will be re visiting India. I am looking forward to reading your next book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining and honest!, 12 Aug 2013
I found this book to be very entertaining and couldn't put it down! I have read some of the negative reviews so wasn't sure what to expect, but I am so glad I wasn't put off by them!
Having been to India I know how it can shock the system, so rather than viewing Michelle's comments as bigoted or patronising, I found them to be a very honest take on how first time visitors to India can feel and react.
The way the book was written and flowed came across as someone who had written with passion about her own experiences so these could be shared with others, rather than being a work of fiction written purely in the interest of being published.
As a single female traveller about to embark on a World trip, this book gave me a great insight into what I may feel and encounter, reduced some of the nerves I m feeling and has inspired me to add India onto my trip!

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant book, 25 July 2013
i loved this book, she describes india and Thailand so well it sent me back there.
very brave to go alone but well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Friend in need, 13 Mar 2013
This review is from: I Come Alone (Paperback)
I first met Michelle on an Explore incorporating Estonia, Russia and Finland in the summer of 2002. With E mail we kept in touch and met up again when I visited Cambodia via Thailand in 2005. Michelle and I spent the day sightseeing and catching up. Since then I we have kept in touch with tails of our travels, Michelle having done a lot more then me.

Friends have said I should have a go at writing a travel book and I Come Alone certainly would inspire any such budding writer. I do hope to see you again sometime Michelle.

Peter Hughes

5.0 out of 5 stars i come alone, 11 Mar 2013
loved this book, it kept me entertained. as i have travelled to India and Thailand I could really relate to this ladies travells. So true of both of the countries.

4.0 out of 5 stars wonderful travelogue around the Far East, 1 Mar 2013
Joan (Manchester) - See all my reviews
Michelle really gives you a taste of Thailand. If you are thinking of going there then this is the book for you. Very well researched and a fascinating look into this country.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, 14 Feb 2013
Sarah (Warwickshire UK) - See all my reviews
Enjoyed this book. As a regular traveller to Thailand it was fascinating to read all about her time here. The majority of the book centres around India which again was fascinating. A brave lady to give up her home and friends to travel..

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›