1,237 Reviews

My daughter is now 16 months and bought this book when she was 7 weeks old.

I found it full of practical information like what's the time limit to apply for child benefit, when vaccinations are due, when to see a doctor etc. This, to me, was very reassuring as, as a first time parent, I panicked about anything.
It was also very useful to read what to...
Published 5 months ago by Crista

3.0 out of 5 stars Good up to a point
Being a first time Mum I wanted a book that reassured me that I was doing things right. If you have a 'normal' baby then I'm sure this book will reassure. But who does have a normal baby?! Often the weekly advice in this book would make me worry that my baby wasn't doing something right. So I'd try changing things and end up regretting it and realising that, actually, we...
Published on 30 Jan. 2013 by GerryM

5.0 out of 5 stars Balanced and fair book, informative and non-judgemental - bad reviews should not put you off, they're unfair, 6 Nov. 2014
My daughter is now 16 months and bought this book when she was 7 weeks old.

It was also very useful to read what to expect from my baby in terms of sleep, nappies, feeds. Remember this is for the average baby, so if you're baby doesn't follow what is written there is nothing wrong; whilst my baby followed somewhat the sleep guide, she was way ahead in feeds for example. I felt the author took time to explain this and never once made me feel inadequate or judged.

I can't understand the 1 star reviews, they all concentrate on 2 pages in the entire book, forgetting the multitude of gentle sleep training methods found in every chapter and even repeated here and there. I applied these very successfully. The CIO is only mentioned as a last resort and, whilst I do no agree with it before 6 months, it does give an insight as to what to expect and what's the worst that can happen. I think this gives the book a very balanced feel, trying to appeal to parents with all sorts of parenting styles.
There is also talk of both breastfeeding and bottle feeding in every chapter, again giving it a balanced and non-judgemental feel; I do not understand how someone expects to be told how many ounces a baby should breastfeed. There is mention though on how many feeds you should expect from your baby (bf or formula fed). There is talk in every chapter about breastfeeding issues specific for that week as well as bottle-feeding issues. I should mention that I breastfed until week 15, so been on both sides of the argument. The only thing I can imagine is that the reviewers only read the headings and never the content.

As for weaning, the author acknowledges not everyone can wait until 6 months and provides a guide to weaning, if doing it early. Again, this is a balanced view. There is no talk of BLW, as this is done usually after 6 months.

Another thing I also liked about this book is the "what happens to mum" bit in every chapter, which again I found reassuring and attentive, as no other baby books pay attention to mum's transformation after birth.

5.0 out of 5 stars have bought it for people - we all agree it's the best book on the market to help new parents through ..., 11 Nov. 2014
Not sure where all the negative reviews have come from, but they were all posted within a couple of days of each other which is a bit weird. Read into that what you want I guess. Anyway, my friend bought this for me when I was getting into a complete state trying to follow Gina with my first - it became my bible for the first 6 months and helped transform me from a complete wreck (continually questioning myself about what was wrong with me, my baby, etc) into a far more relaxed first time mum, feeling more tuned into my baby and confident in relying on my instincts (which by the way was not to let him cry until he was sick... Don't recall seeing that anywhere in the book!). I have since bought it for all of my friends and family who had babies, and they in turn, have bought it for people - we all agree it's the best book on the market to help new parents through the ups and downs of early parenthood.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book - non-judgemental advice presented in a clear and concise manner, 24 Nov. 2014
Having read lots of reviews and asked around a few friends I decided to buy this book just before my LO was born. One of the best features turned out to be the week by week format which has been excellent at breaking the information down into bite size amounts which is fantastic when you only have a short time to read in between all the crying, nappies, and feeding (our LO didn't seem to want to do a whole lot of sleeping). The tone of the book is non-judgemental and it doesn't feel like it preaches to you at any stage. There is comprehensive information about feeding, sleeping, washing, what's happening to mum and useful tips on health problems to watch out for with babies.

We are now 5 1/2 months down the line and can honestly say that this book has been invaluable and we are very sad and a little scared that it will soon be finishing. That is probably our main complaint - the fact the book stops at 6 months.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best baby book out there! Ignore the bogus reviewers who clearly haven't read the book!, 10 Nov. 2014
I'm not sure why the same person has posted numerous 1 star reviews all on the same two days (16th and 17th September) a but this book is amazing!! Has seen me through both my babies. It does not tell you to leave you baby to cry! Clearly they haven't read the book and have some personal vendetta against the writers so are posting bogus reviews under different names! They should be reported to amazon and taken off!
This book helps you through the hardest times as a new mummy. You have so many questions and the best thing about this book is you can go to the age by week that you baby is and get a good outline of WHAT TO EXPECT and I have to say that 99% of the time it is right! I have bought this book for every one of my friend that has had a baby and they have loved it!
Definitely buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great help, 21 Oct. 2014
D. Maudsley - See all my reviews
This review is from: Your Baby Week By Week: The ultimate guide to caring for your new baby (Kindle Edition)
Found this a great book before our first child - and a good refresher for our second. You can read parts in advance and then read the relevant week as you go along. It takes a very balanced line on any of the 'ideological' debates you'll come across; breast or bottle, sleep training, weaning, etc, which is appreciated as so many books seem to be written by hard-liners for one argument or another.

5.0 out of 5 stars The one to buy, 14 Oct. 2014
My daughter loved this book. Definitely the most useful out of all the "baby" books she was given. She read and read it and bought it as presents for friends that had babies. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be put off by one star reviews by people who have clearly not read the book., 12 Oct. 2014
First of all please ignore all the one star reviews which have only appeared within the last month. If you have read the book you will recognise that THESE REVIEWERS HAVE OBVIOUSLY NOT READ THE BOOK. They are taking one paragraph completely out of context.

I bought this book in February because it was one of the top baby books on Amazon and I bought the top 4 at the time. This book was by far the best mainly due to it's easy to follow layout and sound advice. The way it is broken down into weeks allows parents to delve into the appropriate sections as needed. New parents will know finding time to sit down to read dense text is next to impossible so the easily accessible language also helps.

It gives detailed pros and cons to such issues as swaddling, breastfeeding and indeed the contentious controlled crying, which by the way is only talked about as a method of last resort after months of no one in the house getting any sleep what so ever and therefore the least bad alternative. Controlled crying is a thing, to not have a section in the book dealing with it would be to leave out what could be valuable information and have an incomplete book. I don't know why there is a witch hunt against this particular book but then again the review section of Amazon can be a strange place :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Bible for the early days, 3 Jan. 2015
I don't understand why there are such bad reviews out there. My baby is 8 weeks old and we've been living by this book.
I have about 8 baby books and for the first few weeks at least this is a god send. It's super easy to easy, it has a flexible approach and gives you options.
All my friends with young babies love it!
Don't be put off by the other reviews. Like all books you don't take everything they say by heart - you take what works for you.
For sleep training we're using Baby Secrets, but this book is more about understanding what's happenig with you and your baby and all the basics.
Totally recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars The best (also for sleep deprived brain), 27 Oct. 2014
The only book that explains everything you need to know in a short, clear way (the way that you can still understand it when you are sleep deprived). Great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book - ignore the haters, 5 Jan. 2015
Ignore the "readers" reviews below - this book is excellent, a real life saver. Funny how all of the "reviews" were posted on or around the same day - hmmmmm - I smell a smear campaign.

I used this book with my first baby (who is now a happy, loving 3.5yr old and not damaged emotionally or otherwise!) and am back to buy it again as my next is due in 2 weeks. Practical, non-biased advice that is non-judgmental and genuinely helpful. Recommended by a friend (who is a midwife) and passed around the group of moms (hence me needing another copy).