5.0 out of 5 stars You won't put this down until there is no more to read!
Published on 4 Feb 2005 by Myrtle

3.0 out of 5 stars unconvincing and lacklustre
Published on 2 April 2010 by ~The Bookworm~

3.0 out of 5 stars unconvincing and lacklustre, 2 April 2010
~The Bookworm~ (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Something Might Happen (Paperback)
This was my first Julie Myerson book and I was really looking forward to reading it. Disappointment soon set in. Page 1 started well, but I was very quickly irritated by the lack of quotations marks around the dialogue. Why leave them off? It just makes a book so hard to read and I found it difficult to know when someone had stopped speaking and we were back in surrounding action or thoughts. It's not clever - it just makes the writer look as if they're trying to be clever/literary and failing.

I thought the story was okay, the study of grief quite interesting, but the emotional reality of the main character was unconvincing until the end. I didn't get any sense of her 'gorgeousness' and 'loveliness' and really couldn't grasp why all these men were falling over themselves for her. It also seemed odd that she had no women friends and interacted with hardly another female soul in the town except on a very slight, superficial, momentary level. But the one big question I have to ask is this - WHY do female characters have to be punished for transgressing? It happens in novels written by men (which doesn't make it acceptable) but I just expect better from women writers.

This was okay, and I'll probably read some of her other stuff, but I won't be rushing to find it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good potential but...., 14 Oct 2009
Maureen M. Rich "moerich" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Something Might Happen (Paperback)
Potential for a really great story but the lack of quotation marks to separate thought from conversation and dialogue from one to another was a very large distraction for me and prevented a smooth read. What could have been a nice flowing story because stilted and halted for me...maybe other readers would not be bothered by this but each time the flow became interrupted, so do the interest.

3.0 out of 5 stars Something Should Have Happened, 25 Mar 2009
This review is from: Something Might Happen (Paperback)
This novel begins promisingly and is a refreshing change. It is not a whodunnit, focusing instead on the friends and family of the deceased following the murder of Lennie, wife and mother of two, during the subsequent murder investigation. Tess, a close friend of the victim, is at the centre of the novel. Through her eyes and her relationships we see the damage that this does to her, to her family and friends and to the closeknit community that the author successfully creates. Where the novel falls down is during the last third where increasingly the novel loses focus as Tess is drawn into a love affair with a family liaison officer. This and the dramatic and unnecessary ending pull the reader away from the intimate family and their complex relationships to the novel's detriment. Although an absorbing read, this could have been more successful as a study of relationships under extreme stress and grief.

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't put this down until there is no more to read!, 4 Feb 2005
This review is from: Something Might Happen (Paperback)
An absolutely absorbing story. It wraps around your heart stealthily without you knowing, right up to the very end. It has a murder and a romance, but these are quite secondary to the haunting otherness of the place and above all the ordinarily unacknowledged feeling of safety in routine which shatters so profoundly and unexpectedly. Wonderfully, unpretentiously written, yet so acurately, that even Livvy the baby is vividly realised!

5.0 out of 5 stars A rare read, 13 Aug 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Something Might Happen (Paperback)
Like the last reviewer,and UNLIKE the one before, I found this title un-put-downable. Not knowing the author, I had no preconceptions; what a wonderful surprise then to find myself being drawn into an extraordinary account of an extraordinary event in a very ordinary community. It's convincing, moving, beautifully written and surprising in both content and style. The apparent story-line, that of an unsettling murder in a small English seaside town, belies the novel's true intent and strength, for in fact it's "about" loss, of loved ones and love, fear, of the unknown and emotion, and courage, for facing the future and one's self. The writing is deceptively simple, dialogue is unimpeded by punctuation, giving speech a sense of immediacy and reality, and the honesty with which Myerson tackles relationships, marriage, friendship, love and longing is unusual and admirable. I doubt the author has written better, but I am now on a quest to make time to read her other titles as soon as I can lay my hands on them!

2.0 out of 5 stars failed to live up to expectation, 12 July 2006
This review is from: Something Might Happen (Paperback)
Hmm not a favourite. Too much conversation (and I too found the lack of quotation marks irritating) and IMHO superfluous conversation at that - it was't scene setting, character development, story development, it just felt as if the author needed to crank up the size... Quite apart from the story (about which I am still not convinced) the whole style of the book irked me and I really didn't like and failed to identify with the key character (in fact she was the ONLY character, everyone else seemed to be a two dimensional after thought). Maybe I am am staid and boring but I aldo found her ability to shift emotional attachments (which was a key element of the story) more akin to that a 15 year old in the throes of adolescence and not a middle aged woman (who I am so I reckon I know about which I speak!) with a family and children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly moving, beautifully written, 29 Jun 2012
This review is from: Something Might Happen (Kindle Edition)
Having read some of the reviews here I was wondering if I'd read the same book. I found this book particularly engaging because I have a great affection for Southwold, the Suffolk town where the story is set. Myerson brings the town so much to life with her prose that it is perhaps not surprising that I found her book wonderfully evocative of very happy times spent there.

Some reviewers have criticised her for not using speech marks when writing dialogue. As you read the book however, you realise you are inside the head of Tess, the best friend of Lennie, the murder victim written about at the beginning of the novel. Being inside the head of this character means you see those conversations from her viewpoint - they are not meant to be direct transcripts. Therefore the writing works particularly well and helps us understand the world from her perspective, which is really what the whole book is about. Yes, she is somewhat detached but she has just experienced as huge a trauma as anybody is likely to and is going through a period in her life as so many do, when they question everything in their existence.

The denouement is one of the saddest, most emotionally gut-wrenching I have read in a contemporary novel and again makes me wonder why some have suggested that the ending is unsatisfactory. It is a book that takes the mundane and everyday and turns it into something sharp, sensual and apposite to our lives. Myerson should be applauded for not entering into a whodunnit and for not sensationalising the plot. The point here is that in many ways we live our lives in our heads, and sometimes get lost in those thoughts and emotions. This is a book that allows the reader real insight into those thoughts and hits you right in the solar plexus when key events truly change the protagonists' lives.

A fantastic read and one I would heartily recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating , chilling, sexy, story in fabulous setting, 27 Aug 2011
This review is from: Something Might Happen (Hardcover)
Julie Myerson, there's a name that raises a lot of hackles! The author of The Guardian's' Living with Teenagers' column, here crafts a story around a less dysfunctional family caught in the midst of a horrific murder in a seaside town. There is a mystery here of course, but the book is not really a whodunnit at all it examines the reaction of a family to this terrible event and that family goes on to experience its own horror.

The town is recognisably Southwold on the Suffolk coast, my own home territory and it is lovingly depicted albeit it doesn't cover the discomfort felt by the likes of me, whose family have lived in Suffolk for generations, to the mass infiltration of the town by second homers!!

I didn't like the main character Tess AT ALL though her relationship with her children especially the baby, is warm and loving, I felt very sorry for her husband! Her behaviour in the book made me quite angry and the feeling I would like to give her a slap distracted me sometimes from the excellent writing. You don't have to like a main character to love a book though, that's for sure. Austen's Emma is my favourite novel but Emmma is a snobbish, selfish piece of work!

The very fact that a fictional character can arouse strong emotions in the reader, or anyway this reader, is a tribute to the novel's power. Bad novels leave me in a couldn't care less frame of mind about the people in it.
Very hard to break off from this book, if you don't know Southwold you will get a real feel of the place, if you do, you will be reminded why it is such a beloved town.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very readable but ending is unsatisfactory, 15 Mar 2011
Tim Frost "Tim" (UK (Norfolk) and Grenada (West Indies)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Something Might Happen (Paperback)
This is a whodunnit, at least it starts like a whodunnit and sets off down that familiar track. Tess lives in the picturesque seaside town of Southwold, Suffolk (easily identified, though not actually named). Down on Pier Avenue in the car park, a young woman is brutally murdered. Tess, her husband Mick and kids including Liv the baby are the murdered woman's friends.

Apparently all is not what it seems, and people have secrets that the police might be very interested to hear about.

The murder enquiry proceeds alongside the plans for the victim's funeral. And then Tess begins to behave in a strange way. I won't say much more, to avoid spoiling the plot, but for me the ensuing developments involving Lacey were completely implausible. Men don't behave in the way that Myerson describes, and at that point I realised that the author is much more convincing with her female characters than with the men.

Anyway, the tension does build, weird things happen, and just when you think the climax is approaching, and it's all getting exciting ... the story abruptly veers off in another totally unpredictable and unbelievable direction.

The ending is a real downer, both in the sense of being profoundly depressing and in not resolving the fiction in a satisfying way.

That all said, the prose is vivid, the storytelling pacy, the female characters at least are well developed and it's an engrossing read. The affectation of dispensing with quotation marks for direct speech bothered me initially, but I got used to it.

An interesting read, flawed but original and entertaining.

1.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat lacking..., 8 Jun 2008
This review is from: Something Might Happen (Paperback)
This book is incredibly unrealistic and I really struggled to feel anything for any of the characters. The original death is dealt with well but the pointless gratuitous sex and the two main events that happen near the end are forced, almost laughable in their proximity to each other and just their likelihood of actually happening... I didn't see anything in this book that made me want to read her other books or even read this one again.

I'm moving house soon and this is definitely going to be going to the charity shop...

Something Might Happen