5.0 out of 5 stars Joan moves eloquently onward...
Published on 8 Jun 2012 by Tim Kidner

3.0 out of 5 stars More than just a flavour of jazz
Published on 21 Jun 2012 by Monsieur le B

5.0 out of 5 stars Joan moves eloquently onward..., 8 Jun 2012
Tim Kidner "Hucklebrook Hound" (Salisbury, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Starlight (Audio CD)
I've just seen Joan Armatrading 'Live', this very evening, as part of Salisbury's Art Festival. She diplomatically pointed out to us the songs that were on this new album "Starlight" before she and her excellent band played them. As an on/off fan of hers for decades, with many of her albums still on old LPs, how could I resist a copy of this light, fresh and enjoyable album, that she was signing?

I still enjoy the old material best; I told Joan that her playing "The Weakness In Me" this evening still sent tingles down me and she admitted that it still was a favourite of hers.

But, moving back from the tangent I've just taken, Joan sensibly and subtly moves her musical goalposts, as seen by the excellent Into the Blues album, the last CD I bought before this one. As I'm sure you know by now, Starlight is more jazz biased, reminding us that here is a lady who can still balladeer, rock, sing as soulfully as a dancing snowflake, yet that voice of hers can reverberate right through to the core. She does this all with cheer, humility and passion, yet is still committed enough to play the smaller venues (the concert was more than sold out...)

What we often forget is that Joan is also an extremely gifted and formidable guitarist - she had at least five different guitars that she played for the different songs and styles. There is less guitar work on Starlight, though 'Tell Me' does feature some, along with smart, flitting percussion, acoustic bass and tinkling jazz piano.

I know that Starlight will be an album that I will be playing many times and it will sound better each time. It doesn't aim to be a commercial album, so there are no catchy choruses or instrumental hooks to earworm their way into one's mind. They're like Joan herself; accessible, mellow, sophisticated and really rather delightful.

3.0 out of 5 stars More than just a flavour of jazz, 21 Jun 2012
This review is from: Starlight (Audio CD)
Joan describes this CD as jazz flavoured but I have to say it verges on being a pure jazz offering. This is the third in a trilogy, her previous two albums covering the blues and rock genres. They are both excellent pieces of work, her rock album 'This Charming Life' being a real favourite of mine. Unfortunately 'Starlight' doesn't really work for me. It is all a bit too quirky and, somehow, while her lyrics seem to suit her blues and rock styles, when put into a jazz setting they just seem a bit naff and laboured. There is no doubt this album is very inventive but for me it is a bit hard work to listen to. I don't like my music to be totally predictable but I find this album too unpredictable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant stuff, 29 May 2012
I. H. C. Mellor "mihcm" (Milton Keynes) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Starlight (Audio CD)
I have enjoyed Joan Armatrading's music since she launched her career in the 70s. Her style has been consistent but she has always managed to come up with new, fresh ideas. Each album is quite unique and this one is no exception. The amazing thing is that Joan plays all the instruments as well as all the vocals. She must have been very busy. Having seen her live and even met her, I can say that her music is so exciting and whether it be live or recorded there is a vibrancy and feeling in her music. This album is quite different to her previous album, more of a 'blues' feel to it. Lots of great lyrics and cleverly constructed songs makes this a must for any JA fan. The title track 'Starlight' is lovely. I was very fortunate to have heard the songs off this album performed live so beautifully the day before the album was released, it is a great album, the album arrived dutifully on the day of release.

5.0 out of 5 stars Starlight review, 5 Nov 2012
This review is from: Starlight (Audio CD)
Powerful album. really enjoyed it. I saw Joan Armatrading recently in the University Concert hall in Limerick. She was really amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jazz Influenced Joan, 13 Oct 2012
Green Milo (Salmiya, Kuwait) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Starlight (MP3 Download)
The album I heard when Joan appeared on a BBC Radio programme and so the music was good but made so much better by the artist's personal contribution to the creativity. Did I really want a CD no so the mp3 download not only provides the desired product but in no time at all. OK so the quality could be better if it was to be the promise of the pure tones of the original recording but then we can't always get what we really, really want.

5.0 out of 5 stars Starlight, 3 Jun 2012
This review is from: Starlight (MP3 Download)
This is another lovely album from Joan Armatrading. This album is very much in the jazz style as opposed to the more traditional Joan heard on the last album 'This Life' and the wonderful blues of 'Into The Blues'. Some of these songs are not immediate and are certainly not in the 'pop' style of 'Drop The Pilot' or 'Me Myself I' but if this album takes a few listens to truly get 'into ' it , the journey is well worth it when you get there. The single and title track 'Starlight' is a beautiful track as is opener 'Single Life'. All in all a lovely collection from a singer/somgwriter who never disappoints and who has set such a high standard of recording over forty years.

3.0 out of 5 stars Different, 11 April 2014
This review is from: Starlight (Audio CD)
If you like Blues then it may be a bit disappointing...The first track Single Life is superb, but more like the original Joan Armatrading, whom I have admired since her first album. Just felt that some of the other tracks, whilst definitely in the blues style, were a bit confused and maybe a bit repetitive. Having said that, it is Joan Armatrading and I am a huge fan and there is no denying her extraordinary musical talent. Would I buy it again if it wore out...not sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent as always - need to catch up with more of Joan Armatrading, 26 Mar 2014
This review is from: Starlight (Audio CD)
Joan always lives upto expectations............... not more that I can add. Apart from having a desire to get more back copies of Joan Armatrading. I seemed to have overlooked Joan Armatrading over the past couple of years, will have to make up for lost time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Gem from Joan, 6 Feb 2014
This review is from: Starlight (Audio CD)
This is a great album Joan's voice has matured over the years but sounds amazing on this album, this style of singing suits her voice. I loved her last 2 albums "This Charming Life" and "Into the Blues" but this is by far her strongest outing since her album "The Shouting Stage" in 1988. Can't wait to hear what she has in store for us next!

4.0 out of 5 stars Best for some time., 11 Nov 2013
This review is from: Starlight (Audio CD)
I'm really enjoying listening to this jazz enthused album which is full of energy. Joan is in fine voice on all of the tracks. I've enjoyed her previous two albums which experimented with firstly blues and then rock, but this is a joy with some stand out tracks (first four on the album are all excellent!). As ever, some of her work is an acquired taste, but she's really back on form here.

Starlight
Starlight by Joan Armatrading (Audio CD - 2013)