4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job - just understand what it's supposed to do
As summer approaches, I felt the need to do something about my 'keg', looking to make it more of a '6-pack'. I'm generally of slim build with any weight showing itself around my belly, which for me appears somewhat out of proportion so I want to get things back 'into balance'.

So I ordered this as I'd previously read that a session of 20 minutes is the...
Published 12 months ago by Mark Cotterell

3.0 out of 5 stars Good i'm just not too confident that the controller is ...
Good i'm just not too confident that the controller is attatched too good. Seens a bit feeb;e. But i wont try and find out. Only by mistake.
Published 4 months ago by Paul

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job - just understand what it's supposed to do, 28 May 2014
This review is from: Slendertone Men's Premium Rechargeable Ab Toning Belt (Sports)

So I ordered this as I'd previously read that a session of 20 minutes is the equivalent of completing 120 crunches. I've never been able to complete that many in one session (even when I was fit), so anything that allows me to do that must be more effective than me attempting a much lower number 'unaided'.

I've only been using the belt for a week, and have already noticed a difference in how I carry my 'keg'. My abdomen certainly feels stronger and tighter, and I think my posture has improved slightly - presumably because my core-muscles are stronger. Any reduction in the size of the 'keg' has been down to me cutting red wine (something of a vice for me I'm afraid) out of my diet and eating more sensible sized portions of food. This belt won't help you to loose weight - it isn't designed to do that and you have to do that yourself - but what it does do is improve the strength and tone of your core muscles, and it's that combination that improves the appearance of your belly. I'll update this review in a few weeks as noticeable results should be obtained in 4-weeks. I'm very optimistic given the results I've seen/felt so far.

The belt allows you to position the three pads in various positions depending on your waist measurement. I'm (currently) 32-34 inches which suggests that the side pads go on the smallest of the three markings on the belt, but after a couple of uses, I didn't feel that the oblique muscles were receiving much stimulation, so I repositioned then on the second position and now I feel that the obliques are getting worked much more effectively.

So far I've used programmes 1-3 of the available 10, and increased the intensity of the pulses to 80 (out of 150). And wow - you can certainly feel your muscles work !! Programme 1 lasts 20 minutes and crunches your abs simultaneously, programmes lasts 25 minutes and seems to alternate the obliques during each crunch, and programme 3 again works them all simultaneously for 30 minutes. By my reckoning, this programme delivers at least 300 crunches !! Each 'crunch' consists of a series of pulses that increase in intensity. I'm sticking with programme 3 for the moment. I start the intensity at 20 to 25 and then increase it by 10 after every 5 minutes. I'm not sure if thats the correct way to use it as the instructions are not really very helpful for describing how to use the programmes or intensity. So that's why I've only awarded the product 4 stars.

The belt is slim enough to wear under loose fitting clothes, and as it's battery powered (it come with rechargeables) you are not tethered to one place whilst using it.

I've not yet experienced any lack of power or efficiency from the pads as others have reported - but as I say, I've only had the belt for a week, and I've yet to get anywhere near the full intensity of 150. I'll update the review later on this point.

Whilst not shown in the pictures of the belt, it does come with a UK plug adaptor, so thanks to those who answered the question I posted here before I bought it. I charged the controller unit when the belt arrived (it took about 3 hours), and with a weeks usage, it still shows a full charge so it doesn't look like I'll need to be charging it all that often - of course that'll depend on the intensity of crunches that you select. Again I'll update the review after a month or soon this point.

So, it's early days, but the belt has already delivered what I wanted from it, and so I've very happy with it. I'm keen to see what results I get after the 4-weeks !!! Just don't expect to loose weight by using it - for that you must diet and use up calories by exercising. But for strengthening and toning those core muscles, this does the job.

Watch this space.

Update as of 1 Aug 14.

OK - the belt does what it says it will. After a couple of months of using the belt my core muscles are much stronger and toned. Thanks to a reduction in my red wine intake (ahem) and walking the dog a little further, the layer of fat on my belly has reduced allowing the new tone and definition to become visible - although I still have too much fat to allow a six pack to be visible, but I need to maintain the exercise and wine-reduction measures for that to happen. My posture is much improved and it no longer looks like I have a belly, so I have achieved what I set out do to.

I use the belt mostly on level 150 now (which is 30 minutes) working up to that level over the first 10 minutes of the workout. I find it necessary to work up to your target level otherwise things can be very very uncomfortable. As I originally mentioned, the instructions that come with the belt are really rather poor. I don't know what the warmup or cool down phases are (or how to access them) so I control the intensity myself. After a full charge, I get 10 workouts from the belt at intensity 150, on programme 3.

As with all 'fitness regimes' the results are not permanent. I had a break for a couple of weeks, and unsurprisingly, the belly returned slightly, and I felt less taught around my abdomen. Luckily, after a week with the belt (and returning to my good behaviour wine-wise) the taughtness and definition has returned. So this isn't a permanent fix. But what exercise is if you stop it ?

I'll need to change the pads or try some gel (as others have reported) as the pads feel less effective now.

But all in all, I'm very pleased with what the belt does. After all, if you spend 30 minutes a day checking emails/facebook etc. why not wear the belt and tighten to abs at the same time ?

4.0 out of 5 stars Tightening up the abdominals on a fit man who has a back ravaged by time, injury and lots of activity over many years, 1 Jan. 2015
Victor Meldrew Mk2 "stefan morawiec" (Dorset) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I have been using this item for over three months now and feel that the four stars is warranted. Not 5 I'm afraid but more a 5 than a 3 and worth the investment.

Out of the box, you are provided with a belt, which fastens around your middle with a velcro fastening, three pads to conduct the electricity to your muscles, a control/battery unit and a charger complete with UK and continental plugs. The comprehensive instruction manual and quick start guide recommend fully charging the item before use and this took a couple of hours.

FIRST USE

Assembling the belt is relatively easy, albeit you need to be careful when attaching the conducting pads to the belt; it can be a bit messy if you are not careful removing the backing to attach the pads to the belt and subsequently to your midriff. Connect up the control unit and basically that is it. There is sufficient guidance in the manual to get you going as a beginner, through to expert. I set mine settings at 80 on each side to start and away I went. I must admit that I could feel some sensation, but a sensation that was not unpleasant and was similar to that experienced when using a TENS machine; your abdominal muscles tingle and you feel them tighten. Personally I was not bothered by it and I was able to work at my computer whilst the 20 minute programme did its stuff.

SECOND AND THIRD USE

I intend to use my belts for three days, rest a day, then two days, rest a day to follow the prescribed plan. After the first day, I moved onto programme 2, which lasts for 25 minutes and increased the setting to 90 each side. I really could feel the sensation much more and could feel my muscles contracting when the current passed through them. At this point I would add that when I went to bed after the second session, I realised that something had happened in regards to exercising my muscles as a long forgotten appendicectomy operation site was letting me know that after 37 years it was still there :-( For subsequent use, I have moved the belt a little away from that area.

I have continued to use the belt now for a week and whilst there is no noticeable difference, my stomach does feel tighter and I hope I will show signs of improvement. Do I want a pronounced 6 pack? Yes I would love one, but at almost 60 years of age, I just want to exercise my tummy muscles a bit, without putting my back under undue pressure; I am pleased to say that it is doing that quite well and as I do not have much excess fat on my absomen, I can see that there is some difference to the way that my muscles are being conditioned and whilst my abdomen remains flat(ish) there does seem to be some tightening which I think will improve still further.

SUBSEQUENT USE

Level 3

Level 3 is a relatively moderate programme, however I can now tolerate levels of 130 each side without any discomfort and can feel the "burn". I must say that at this level I do find it more tolerable lying down than sitting :-) I am looking forward to progressing up to the other levels, probably missing out level 7, but probably using the belt simultaneously with light aerobic excercise such as cycling or walking.
So why 4 stars? Well I do think that it works and appears to be working for me. I intend to give a full appraisal after 30 days though. There is much to like about this item, it does work and there is evidence on the internet to this effect and for me as an individual, it is allowing me to "tighten up" muscles that I cannot work properly due to an accumulation of injuries and wear on my spine. It allows me to tone up whilst sitting at my desk at home and as I progress through the programme I intend to use it whilst exercising, walking and cycling and whilst using light weights; 30-40 minute sessions for all three. It is certainly worth more than 3 stars, but not 5 stars yet, partly as I anticipate that the pads will not last that long and will need to be replaced every month or so and despite the fact that they have covers for when not in use, I do find that they are a bit messy and always leave a small amount of "gel residue" on my fingers. Time will tell in this respect.

Level 4

Just completed a 10 day programme of Level 4 and about to move onto level 5 for a similar period. I am using the belt now at its highest setting and I feel that it provides me with the type of abdominal workout which would not be possible for me using crunches; I can do them, but my back hurts so much afterwards to render the exercise counter productive. My midriff is noticeably tighter, especially as I have combined using the item with losing about 7lbs accumulated over the December period (BMI of 24). Using the belt on its highest settings does provide me with the workload necessary but is not challenging to tolerate, (Just work up to it) but as someone reasonably fit already it was relatively easy to work up to; not everyone might find it that easy.

I find that it really does tighten up my abdominal muscles and whilst I am not genetically pre-disposed to possessing that washboard look, like the model on the box, ) my abdomen is considerably tighter than when I started. I will never be "ripped" but I am one belt notch tighter than what I was when I started and it isn't due to the loss of weight.

One additional comment, the pads are starting to lose their conditioning, which does not surprise me, but I think that they are unlikely to last more than 4-6 weeks, but we will see after period 5. Very happy with it though.

Level 5, 6, 7

I have been using this item now for over two months, 5 days a week as recommended. I am using level 7 mainly at the meaximum setting of 150. It was a shock at first at level 7 as you really do feel it, particularly at maximum level. I am also on my second set of pads, the original and a replacement set. As previously, I am not in possession of a washboard abdomen, but I am quite taught and feel that it has worked. I have tried crunches, but sadly my back will not permit me to, so this machine it is. I am going to try level 8 next when I can take some light aerobic exercise and wear this belt for 40 minutes at a time.

OVERALL

I must say that I feel that I will get some use out of this item and whilst many think that a four star rating might not be sufficient to recommend a purchase, I RECOMMEND THIS ITEM for anyone, such as myself, who needs to tighten up a bit, understand that this process is an adjunct to normal training and provided that you are not expecting miracles, you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Neat device, 5 Jan. 2013
Was thinking about getting this for a while and decided to go for it for the new year. It arrived quickly and came with the belt, three self-ahesive pads, a controller, charger and a international charger, a carry pouch and an instruction booklet. I intend to follow the 4 week slendertone plan along with general healthy eating guidelines and 30 minutes exercise per day. I'll update the review in 4 weeks with the results!

*Update** Just getting round to updating review about 2 months later rather than 4 weeks! So far it really seems to have worked and my ab area is alot flatter and firmer. I've had to order new pads but it has been 2-3 months. I'll keep going with it and see if its still like this in a couple of more months!

5.0 out of 5 stars A remarkably effective product, 14 Dec. 2014
G. Davies (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The Slendertone Men's Premium model is referred to on the Slendertone website as simply "Slendertone Abs".

It's the top of the range men's model and, in comparison to the other two Slendertone models and aside from price differences, features a higher intensity stimulation level (electrical stimulation intensity) and a rechargeable AAA battery pack housed in the programmer unit. The battery pack uses 3 AAA batteries (for the techies they are 3.6V wired in parallel with a block connector) and is replaceable. [Note: you cannot use normal rechargeable AAA batteries - you need to use the specially wired rechargeable cells provided by Slendertone]. The reason I mention the battery stats is because the battery does take a while to charge from zero capacity - about nine hours for my first charge - and after that, depending on the intensity of stimulation you are using, it can discharge after about eight to ten days of daily use (see below).

The product is very well packaged in the presentation box and clearly the manufacturer has invested time and money in designing the packaging. The presentation box is Apple-esque in terms of style and design. The belt comes with a black carry bag which is a discretely designed pull string bag. I mention all of this because, when you consider how effective the product is (or at least has been for me), the packaging adds to the overall polish and suggests that the belt could make a very nice present for a family member.

Some basic assembly is required and this requires reference to a waist size chart and the subsequent positioning on the belt of the three conductive pads. Clearly marked white chevrons are present on the belt to indicate the three possible positions where the pads need to be placed. The belt fits waist sizes 27 inches to 47 inches via a velcro adjustment strap at the back of the belt and the pads need to be positioned in a way that fits your own waist size.

The conductive pads are made of a water based gel. Be careful when peeling the protective plastic covering off the pads and note that the side of the pad which contacts with the bed (and the metal conductive rivets on the belt) has a centre slit in the plastic covering so that the covering can be easily removed without damaging the gel pad.

The control unit is, I guess, the guts of the belt and the main reason why this belt model is regarded as the premium version. It holds the battery pack and has a charger connector for the supplied charger. I've been using the belt every day for six weeks or so and I've only had to charge it twice (I'm actually still on the second charge). Although the first charge lasted for over a month it looks as if the second charge is going to struggle to make it to 10 days. This, no doubt, is because of the higher current used for the higher intensity programmes i.e. as you progress through the programmes, the intensity of electrical stimulation increases. The charge capacity of the batteries will degrade with use and this fact is described in the Slendertone manual. A new battery pack costs about £12.

There's a loop on the belt for storing the programmer during use. This is the most poorly designed part of the belt and really is absolutely useless at least on my belt. There's no tension to the loop and the programmer doesn't stay in place and constantly falls out. I use a pocket or waist band instead to store the programmer. It does speak of poor design and is out of place in an otherwise thoughtful package.

I didn't buy the belt as a vanity purchase (passed caring about the beach body look) but rather to improve lower back stability and strength. Slendertone's marketing promotes Slendertone Abs as possibly being helpful not just in improving lower back stability - and core strength - but also (and the key word is "possibly") useful in reducing the risk of lower back pain/injuries.

I have to say that the belt has surpassed all of my admittedly cynical expectations - and even surpassed any reasonable expectations that I had. In short - for me it has worked in assisting with a dramatic improvement to lower back core strength and stability. It's also, as a side-effect, developed very visible ab muscles which I am trying my best to cover up with the calorific help of Chicken Tikka Masala.

Seriously, in terms of lower back stability I can undertake movements that were tricky before and I can also do exercises - including cardio and extension exercises - that previously were a no go. This is really impressive and whilst it may well be the case (actually is the case) that I could have made this progress in a different way (through a more graded exercise regime) it is nonetheless remarkable that a *relatively* low priced gadget has provided such a significant quality of life improvement.

In switching on the unit for the first time the automatic progression programme will be initiated. This starts you on programme one (the "Initiation" programme) for two sessions which is 20 minutes a day at "easy", then three sessions on programme two (the "Intermediate" programme) which is described as moderate. Subsequent progression will take you up to programme 6 which is described as "Pro" and takes 30 minutes per day. It takes 30 days to get to the "Pro" setting. The manual suggests taking occasional days off between sessions and the manual describes a suggested 30 day schedule with regular days off scheduled in the timetable.

After the automatic progression programme is complete you then manually select your progress (programmes 6 and 7) and through to a choice of active workout programmes. These consist of three programmes where the timing, power and duration of the stimulation is graded to synchronise with crunch exercises.

You can manually adjust the settings easily and exit the initiation programme skipping, if you like, the automatic progression. Indeed one of the shortcomings of the programmer, as far as I can tell, is that it is too easy to interrupt the automatic progression through inadvertently pressing the manual programming button or the up/down arrow buttons - there then seems to be no way of re-entering the automatic progression programme and you'll have to remember your position and then manually adjust your own progression.

Even on the automatic progression programme you still have to adjust the intensity setting to match your own level and your own needs. Wisely Slendertone has erred on the side of caution in giving quite conservative default intensity settings for each programme. You use the arrow up and down buttons to increase or decrease the intensity. There are two sets of arrow buttons - one for the left side and one for the right side pad whilst the centre pad appears to me (but it is hard to tell for sure) to be balanced between both settings with a possible skew to the right pad intensity setting. Because the different programmes have different "power" outputs an intensity level of, say, 75 will not be the same on programme 5 as it is on, for example, programme 4.

The tingling does take a bit of getting used to especially if your ab muscles have been idle for a few years. The intensity on the upper level programmes can be quite overpowering if you jump ahead of yourself. Be careful when you progress to programme 7 because there's a surprise in store in terms of a much more rapid oscillating stimulation!

Other reviewers have commented on a lack of parity between the left side stimulation and the right side stimulation i.e. that the right side will receive more stimulation than the left side even though the settings are the same. This was exactly my experience too. You can account for this, as I did, by setting the left side stimulation higher than the right side stimulation but even then something didn't/doesn't feel quite right. I've found part of the problem is how you position the belt. I've concluded that the belt needs to be placed higher - about 3 inches higher - on the body than most people (well, at least me) would logically assume.

I would on balance highly recommend the product although there are a few caveats.

It is possible, I am pretty sure, in most cases to obtain the same very positive results for free. It would mean harder work and more dedication but it is possible to obtain great - maybe even better - results with hard work and no Slendertone. This isn't just about the initial financial outlay but also about the need to buy new pads on a regular basis. With proper pad care and not too much body hair (yuck!) you could possibly get away with about five weeks (maybe more) per set of pads. The pads do though degrade in terms of their conductivity after about a month (and some reviewers have had less time than that).

I used a conductive gel bought from a local chemist and found that when dolloped on the pads this did help a little but. I did this out if curiosity to see whether I could save money on the cost of pads but concluded it wasn't really worth the effort for the results. Special offers on pad packs are occasionally available but it's important to factor the cost of pads in to the total cost of ownership.

Of course if you are after decent looking abs then the Slendertone isn't going to help much with cosmetic appearance if you don't cut calories and do fat burning exercises. Sure, you may well have great abs but they'll be hidden under layers of fat! No way did the model on the box develop his abs just by using Slendertone.

Pros:

- easy to use and easy to set up
- it is very effective in promoting ab development and from my experience in lower back/core strength development
- requires virtually no effort from the user to obtain results and may therefore also generate confidence to engage in other active work
- easily obtainable spare parts including pads and replacement battery pack
- great presentation of the product making it an ideal gift
- a selection of good programmes including active workout programmes for crunch exercises
- discrete and can be used (almost) anywhere including whilst sitting down

Cons:

- ongoing cost of ownership in terms of cost of replacement gel pads
- ? uneven right/left side stimulation (although there are ways of minimising this)
- an opportunity to avoid active exercise which would bring other health benefits
- will only show off well developed abs if diet and fat burning exercises are also used - not really a "con", just reality!
- poorly designed belt loop for storing programmer during use
- programmer could be more intuitive to use and more informative

Update: Ouch! I tried to stretch out the life of a set of pads (about 6 weeks or so) and here's a warning. It's not just a case of the pads becoming less effective at conducting the current - the pads can conduct the current in a way that is actually painful and unbearable. I assume that as the pads dehydrate the resistance also reduces - the experience was really not nice and actually quite painful with a sharp pain produced by the centre pad as if the current was being directly applied. As soon as I changed the pads the problem went away. So changing pads is necessary not just because of reduced efficiency.

5.0 out of 5 stars Slendertone Abs, 17 Mar. 2013
I was a bit sceptic about it. But it really does work. My abs fell now a lot firmer and tighter. The instructions are very clear, and belt is very easy to set up. I am very happy with the purchasse....

5.0 out of 5 stars I have been using it everyday for 3 weeks now ..., 30 July 2014
I have been using it everyday for 3 weeks now and everybody at work has noticed the difference. I have started to loose that middle age spread and it is making me feel young again. The women in the office keep noticing my new streamlined body. Unfortunately they still don't look at my face. If you do a toning belt for that I want one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 8 Mar. 2014
It really works, I am feeling better and others have noticed the difference in my shape. Would recommend it to others

5.0 out of 5 stars a very good purchase, 30 Sept. 2013
simple to operate.
only needs recharging about every 7 days in continuous use.
god progressive programmes; feel the effects after about 10 days.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slendertone, 4 Mar. 2014
Good control to increase levels of pulses
Easy to set up and use
Can multi-task ad use it whilst performng other activitis

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 8 Mar. 2014
S. A. Zaib (UK) - See all my reviews
Good product effective will not get you ripped but tomnes up well not as good as normal abs so need to supplement other ex etc