on 9 December 2012
I bought this bike as my first endeavour into the road bike world. I've now done about 200 miles on it and I'm now looking to change it. I must say, for the money it's a good start but there are things that people need to be aware of:-

1) It is very heavy. If you put it along side bikes that are at just £300 you will really feel the difference. It makes getting it up hill a real struggle. Although it will help you improve your fitness quickly, if you go in a group you will be left for dust. I'm not the fittest of people but I'm no slug either and i struggle when I hit a hill. To put it in context, I am able to ride "on the wheel" of someone on the flat or lightly undulating and can keep up with them easily but then a slight hill comes and I lose my position. That brings me on to point 2

2) The Grip shifter are what i can only descibe as poo. If you want to change suddenly you can't and I find it makes me lose momentum a bit. On sti shifters you will can change much easier. I have looked at changing these but for the cost I'm just going to upgrade the whole bike.

3) On the same note, the gear ratios are poor. The cassette on the back is actually a screw on freewheel so you can't change it for much better either! Going up hill you have a good range to switch down into and just spin, but going down hill or on the flat, better gear ratios which you will find on other bikes will actually gain you in the reagion of 2+ meters per pedal turn. So sprinting aint going to happen. That applies to the crankset too where the big chain ring only has 46 teeth ( I think) where better road bikes that only cost a little more have 50-52

4) Bear in mind that this is a BIG bike. I bought it thinking the sizing was fine but I'm 5'9 and the saddle is the lowest it can go to get me in the right place. If I put it up higher I get pain in the tendons behind my knee and in my hamstrings.

On the plus side, I really like the colour scheme and other people I have ridden with do too! Also, it set up easily.

So if you just want to commute, start out slow, live in a flat area, are saving up for a better bike but want to ride in the mean time, then go for it! But if you want to go into Triathlons/ clubs/ groups, then think again!
11 comment94 of 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 August 2012
Bought this bike on the amazon lightning deal for 149.99
Well packaged, arrived swiftly and very nice looking bike. As previous reviewer said, only "issue" was that the Allen keys provided didn't fit the saddle (not a big issue).

The bike looks really nice (please note the details on the bike are actually stickers on a plain white frame) but still looks great.
It rides very nicely, the gears and back brake were correctly set up straight out of the box.

All in all, very pleased and would recommend it to anyone at 149.99 or 189.99

If I had to pick negatives. 1. It has "grip shift" gears which are not really suited to a road bike with drop handlebars but after a few days you make it work. 2. The bike is fairly heavy but for the money what do you expect? You would pay 4 figures for a light bike, also if you are looking to get fit then a heavier bike is better.
11 comment38 of 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 March 2013
Does everything you need it to and is much less than the closet high street option.
5 Stars from me
on 7 October 2013
I have had a couple of bikes before, store bought, at around 200-300 pound range (giant, trek...mostly beginners MTB).

This bike, came with bad brake setup, the chain makes so much noise I might well power myself down the road with 2 strapped leaf blowers, and there is no tool to tighten the seat...

Oh, and at high speed, it inspires little confidence with braking and stability...watchout.
on 26 February 2013
I honestly cannot think of a bad thing to say about a bike this good for such a price (£168 at time of purchase).

Easy to put together, very light, very fast and very cheap!

My mountain bike broke so decided to look into getting a proper road bike as i ride to and from work work everyday. Most that i saw were well over my budget until i found this one. And i have to say its the best value for money ive ever owned. Why Jon White feels the need to moan so much about it i do not know, seems to me you would have been better getting a motorized bike maybe? Hills are gonna be harder to go up than go down, laws of gravity and all that.

If people are serious enough about riding then i see no reason why this shouldn't be able to compete at a decent level, but obviously a lot of that depends on your own ability as much as anything else! If you spend more money you will get a better bike (of course), but for this price you would be stupid to turn it away in my opinion.
on 14 August 2013
Excellent service from the seller, well packaged and received within three days. The cycle is very good, I have ridden about 300 miles on it since purchase. There are some minor problems due to a lack of quality control at the production stage, but not worth claiming under warranty.
on 14 January 2013
Bought as a first road bike mainly for slim tyres the dropbars are useless due to it gears my answer was to do a flatbar conversion and the set up now is great and it cost under a tenner to change as a starter bike it will do a season or 2 but once I'm more into using bikes I'll upgrade it. But that sounds neggy but for the price its alot of bike and still good value for money.
11 comment12 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 July 2015
Please be aware that this is a review about the bike once opened, not the acual bike. Bike arrived when it should have. opened carefully and put together relatively easy. Pumped up the tyres and i had 2 punctures on the rear tyre HOW? 1 was at the valve as it was split and the other was along the inner tube. Couldnt fix the valve one so had to take it to a shop to be replaced as the rear wheel nuts had been put on my Garth so couldnt get it off. Told by the guys int he shop that the front forks were on back to front (arrived like that). All in all a bad setup to begin with. looks nice though.
on 2 December 2014
Seems a nice bike, had it put together by the local bike shop who pointed out some minor faults. The frame is out of line & the chain has some movement on the gear change. I have had the tubes changed with a different valve. I have added some equipment like stand, water bottle, riding computer, tubes & valves. Plus cost of building which has added £85 to the cost. But all in all I am happy with the bike.
on 27 August 2013
I found this bike after I bought it not so good, there isn't any space on the handlebars to put a cycle computer due to the twist shift gears, also the tape around the handlebars is coming away, Front brake doesn't seem to work, even after adjusting it
After using the bike after one day there is a clicking noise coming from the pedals, I feel that I have wasted my money on this bike.