SUMMARY: An excellent camera in its own right or in a supporting role to a DSLR. If you can live with a 35mm fixed focal length, you won't get better quality images under a variety of lighting conditions from a package this small at any price. A handful of relatively minor irritations which are likely to be fixed with firmware updates do little to detract from what is a superlative photographic device - the most major of these include poor AF performance in macro mode, partial functionality lockup whilst writing to the SD card and almost unusable manual focus. If and when these are addressed with firmware updates, I'll gladly increase the score to 5*, but for now, I'm afraid I have to shave one point.

UPDATE JULY 2011: As of Firmware update 1.1, manual focus is somewhat improved, but still pretty much unusable for shooting anything moving. Focus lock-on in macro mode is still very poor in low light. Some functions are still disabled when writing to memory. Several other issues addressed. See the Fuji website for full details.

BUILD: My expectations of build quality had already been set fairly high, but on the basis of the shots I'd seen, I wasn't sure that I liked the finish of the metal body. It looked a little too much like silver paint rather than metal. However, I can assure you that in the flesh it has the obvious appearance of satin finished alloy; this is one extremely classy looking item. I know this will be important to some people. Also, despite some comments I've read about it being a bit `too light' I tend to disagree. It has a nice solid heft worthy of a quality camera. It does not in any way feel like a cheap plastic bodied item. The closest thing I can compare it to in terms of feel is my equally solid, metal-bodied Canon G9. Both in feel and looks, X100 absolutely exudes quality, and the dials and switches move with a precise `snick' noise. They are easy to turn without being too likely to be moved by accident. In terms of build quality, it has the edge over the Leica X1. I also disagree that the multi-select dial on the rear of the camera feels `cheap' - it may not be metal, but it's functional and does its job perfectly well. In the context of the overall design, it doesn't look out of place. All in all, this is an object of beauty, and can be enjoyed without even taking a shot.

OPERATION: People have complained about the operation of the manual focus dial, and I have to agree that the way it's been implemented in firmware does leave room for improvement. It's difficult to move focus quickly and precisely using the dial and because of the slight lag and the jumpy focus reaction of the lens, there does feel to be a disconnect between actually turning the focus dial and achieving focus. That said, I personally use manual focus for only two things - setting pre-focus so I can prepare to take a shot with a known range and DoF (the focus distance and DoF indicator proves very useful here) and macro shooting. For these purposes it's perfectly adequate. No doubt some will see this as a major drawback - particularly those used to shooting with genuine rangefinder cameras like the M9. You can expect that Fuji will be looking to update the firmware to modify the way this works and silence some of the critics. Manual focus ring aside, shooting with the X100 using Autofocus is extremely satisfying. It's able to achieve focus reliably in very dim lighting conditions even with the AF assist lamp disabled, and the only times I've had it struggle is in macro mode, where it can have difficulty unless there is good lighting and contrast. It is not as fast to acquire focus as a DSLR or even the latest Panasonic G series, but it is significantly faster than my Canon G9 and S95. Having 49 focus points to select from is a nice feature, but I typically use only the central one, focusing and repositioning to frame as desired. This is after all not a camera designed for shooting fast moving objects - for that purpose you really do need a DSLR, or to be using manual focus and a deep DoF. I would like to see a face detect feature added in a future firmware update. This may be seen as unnecessary by old school shooters, but it can be genuinely useful in certain circumstances.

The hybrid viewfinder is a great innovation either in optical (OVF) or electronic (EVF) mode. The EVF alters its refresh rate depending on available light, but under daylight conditions, its refresh rate is very fast with almost no lag. I love using this to shoot black and white, as it gives a great preview so you can judge and adjust your exposure for light and shadow before taking the shot. This is a big advantage over shooting with a traditional DSLR like my D700, where I need to try to visualise scenes in monochrome and think how they might look when exposed darker or lighter, only seeing the result when chimping after the fact. The X100 essentially has 'auto-chimp' where you see the image as captured in the viewfinder immediately after it's taken. This is far more efficient than having to move your eye from the eyepiece to look on the rear screen. The X100 is a splendid camera for people who want to shoot `street' in B&W, which covers a lot of enthusiast photographers and professionals. Note that the frame lines in OVF mode are not entirely accurate. It tends to capture a slightly larger area then the heads-up display border indicates. This is not a big problem - you always have the option of EVF if you need to be 100% accurate. The OVF also suffers from having the lens partially obscure the bottom right hand corner of the viewfinder very slightly when the filter adapter is attached - this is especially marked when using the optional lens hood. This is normal for this type of camera however, and remember you always have the option of switching to EVF if something in that part of the image is critical to your framing. Note that you can mount a 49mm filter on the adapter and still be able to fit and remove the hood independently.

Start-up time from cold is not particularly fast - from off to ready to shoot takes around 2.2 seconds, and the same when waking from sleep mode - however, enabling 'Quick Start' mode can compensate for this (when either powering-up or waking from 'sleep' mode), bringing the time down to 0.7 seconds. Quick-Start mode is relatively heavy on battery usage however. You may be interested to know that the NP-95 battery used in the X100 is the same as that used by several other cameras, and that reputable, branded 3rd party replacements are available at a fraction of the cost of the genuine article. My brand of choice has always been Hahnel, and I've never had a problem with them. I use their HL-F95 in my X100; these are rated at 1500mAh rather than the 1800mAh of the fuji items, but at 1/3 of the cost, this isn't such a bad trade. I would recommend against using very cheap generics - these may not have over-voltage or under-voltage protection circuits, which can make Lithium Ion batteries dangerous to charge and might result in them dying if allowed to discharge too far - though as the X100 will refuse to power-up if the battery falls below around 2.5v this is unlikely.

As has been discussed elsewhere, the shutter is totally silent in operation. If you are shooting in OVF mode, the only noise you hear is that of the viewfinder window curtain sliding up so the image can be previewed. This is practically inaudible unless you have your ear near the camera. If you are shooting in EVF mode, there is no noise at all besides the tiny whine of of the lens acquiring focus prior to the shot being captured. That, and the fact that the autofocus will operate in very dim conditions even with the AF assist light disabled makes this an ideal camera for discrete use. The only control I wish the camera had added is an ISO dial. Changing ISO is not especially hard, but a dedicated dial perhaps set into the back of the camera would have been a perfect addition.

IMAGE QUALITY: Very good with only slight peripheral softness at f2.0 and f2.8 (very few lenses are absolutely sharp wide open across the entire frame) - excellent sharpness and contrast at f4.0, f5.6 and f8.0 - good sharpness with slight loss of contrast at f11 and f16. Minimal distortion. Excellent colour and monochrome rendition. Bokeh highlights can be slightly busy, but not overly distracting. I've performed a direct comparison between the X100 and my D700 with the 35mm f/2.0 and 24-70 f2.8 and the X100 is equal to or better than either lens for resolution and sharpness across the aperture range, especially in the corners of the image. High ISO capabilities are absolutely superb, and on a par with the Nikon D7000 - almost as good as the D700, though the dynamic range is not as strong. A D700 will give you noticeably more latitude when editing levels in post. Good ability in low light is one of the key benefits of the X100, and gives it low light shooting ability above even the M9 unless you're shooting with f1.4 or f0.95 glass. Unlike my D700 I can take it with me anywhere, and it blows my G9 and my S95 out of the water in terms of image quality. I'm absolutely loving the ambient lit night shots I'm getting with this camera.

PRICE: This is where I depart from many commentators who say the X100 is overpriced - seemingly on the basis that it has only a fixed lens. I tend to disagree - this is an entirely new concept of camera which has been lavished with a large amount of original R&D effort, and this needs to be recouped. The build quality is equal to or better than the more highly priced Leica X1, and it features a built-in viewfinder and superior specifications in practically every department. It has low light capabilities the equal of the Nikon D7000, which sells for the same price as the X100 without any lens at all. Needless to say this is not a generalist camera, and as such is aimed at a very specific and select target market - that too makes it necessary to price the camera higher in order to recoup development costs. When you hold the camera in your hands and see the images it's capable of delivering and compare it to the alternatives, I think you'll agree it's worth every penny.

HIGH SPEED FLASH SYNC: Although it's probably not news to all you Strobist fans out there, the leaf shutter on the X100 makes it ideal as a high speed sync camera. What does that allow you to do? Well, it means that the entire frame is exposed simultaneously at high shutter speeds, rather than by a moving 'letterbox' strip as in most DSLRs. This in turn means that you can sync flash at up to 1/4000th of a second at f8 and below, at 1/2000th at f4 and below and at 1/1000th at any aperture and still get a decent sized 'pop' out of your flash. I've tested this myself, and it works. However, note that if you're using a wireless trigger like a Pocket Wizard rather than a hot-shoe cable (there's no PC sync socket on this camera), this limits you to around 1/1000th max because of the transmission delay. This ability to sync with flash at high speeds allows you to really make your flash-lit subject stand out in bright sunlight. It does this by severely restricting the amount of ambient light (sunlight) which lights the shot and allows the flash to dominate. It's a very 'magazine' look and well worth experimenting with if you like that kind of thing. Until now, the 'best' affordable camera body with a large sensor I know of which can do this is the Nikon D70s. No longer!

ACCESSORIES: I purchased the Fuji made brown, genuine leather case, the filter adapter and the lens hood. The case is a very nicely made item, with a good, grippy stylish brown leather shoulder strap which replaces the standard one provided with the camera. It has subtle logos pressed into the top of the case and the strap. It is pretty much required to have a strap fitted when using the case, as the popper straps which secure the camera into the bottom half of the case wrap over the strap rings. In a pinch, you could get away with having the rings fitted but not the strap. There is no tripod screw to hold it into the case, and no hole which can be used to secure the camera onto a tripod with the case fitted. The top half of the case including the leather lens cover attaches to the lower half by a pair of poppers and can be removed easily, though it doesn't fold up particularly conveniently for storage, so you may be better off just letting it hang below the camera in use as it is designed to do. It doesn't really get in the way, anyway. With its tough experior and velvety interior, the case provides good scratchproofing and a certain amount of impact protection. It may also be useful to repel the odd light shower of water, though it's clearly not designed to be waterproof. The catch which holds the top cover closed is magnetic, and has an amount of play forwards and backwards. What this means is that you can install the filter adapter and a reasonably slim filter and still use the case effectively, as the leather lens cover will slide a few millimeters forwards and still fasten securely. There is no way that you can close the cover over the camera with the optional lens hood fitted however, so you'll need to carry that in your pocket when not in use. Luckily it attaches and detaches with ease, and is very pocketable.

The filter adapter and lens hood are finished beautifully and complement the camera well. You will need to screw the filter adapter tightly onto the lens, or you'll find the twist-fit lens hood (which is itself quite a snug fit - all the better to not lose it) may cause it to unscrew on removal. The hood has a slot cut-out which helps to prevent the OVF from being too obscured when it's fitted, which is a nice touch and really makes a difference. As I mentioned before, you can leave a filter attached to the filter adapter and attach and remove the hood separately - it doesn't screw into the filter thread, but makes use of a separate bayonet style fitting also machined into the filter adapter. Note that the filter adapter *does* cast a small shadow at the bottom of the image when using the built-in flash, but shots are still usable. You may want to consider this if you plan to do a lot of flash photography with the X100 - though to do so somewhat squanders the benefits of the excellent low light abilities of the sensor. Of course, with the lens hood fitted, there is significant obscuration of the flash when in use, and this configuration cannot be recommended. Overall, these accessories are well made, though this should be weighed against their relatively high prices. If I'm honest, I feel somewhat peeved that Fuji decided not to bundle the lens adapter and hood with the camera, given the relatively high cost of the X100 and the fact that they probably cost no more than a few pounds to produce. The opportunity to drum up some extra post-sales income was obviously too tempting.

MEMORY CARDS: Given the tendency of the X100 to lock-out some features while writing to its memory card, I'd recommend using a high performance SD card to minimise write times. I use a SanDisk SDHC 8GB Extreme Pro class U1 (45MB/s), which allows the camera to complete writing appreciably faster than my previous class 6 SD card. Ultimately though, the X100 is not designed to be a rapid-fire shooter, so in practice the lockup isn't nearly as annoying as it would be if my D700 did the same thing. RAW images shot by the X100 are relatively large at around 20MB, so an 8GB card will net you about 400 frames. You'll probably need 2 or 3 batteries to shoot that many images though, depending on how much you generally chimp each shot, so an 8GB card is probably a sensible size.

Given my above stated minor reservations, this is an excellent camera and a very brave step by Fuji for which they should be congratulated. I was on the pre-order list practically from the day the price was announced, and I'd buy it again without hesitation. Being a niche market product it's certainly not for everyone, but to people like me who want the best possible high ISO performance in a genuinely pocketable package, it's the only choice. Believe me, shoot with this camera for a day or two and you will fall in love.
1717 comments| 280 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 October 2011
Let me get these points out of the way first: if you're a novice to photography, this camera isn't for you - buy a beginner's DSLR for a comparable price (or cheaper) and learn how to use that first. If you expect to be disappointed if the X100 doesn't operate like the DSLR or compact you already own, look elsewhere - this baby is unique. If you're in neither camp, read on...

I bought this camera a few weeks ago after owning a Panasonic G3 for a couple of months, as a portable back-up to my Canon 7D. I also purchased the pancake 20mm lens, which is a nice companion, as I only wanted to shoot primes to keep the profile of the body low and leightweight. However, I was disappointed with Panasonic's offering; the image quality wasn't as good as I hoped, its low light capability was substandard and it often didn't autofocus quite where I wanted it to.

When the X100 dropped below the original £1000 retail price to £900, I began considering it. I was meticulous in my research; almost all of the reviews raved about the image quality (some saying it's almost on a par with full frame cameras, especially in low light) but criticised its handling. ALL of the reviews admired its aesthetics.

I played with one in the shop, and I was hooked; I sold my G3 and pancake lens at a small loss as soon as I could to cover most of the cost of purchasing the X100.

I have no regrets. Why? Because when you get it right, the image quality is stunning - and what else matters? In fact the images are so good that I rarely shoot in RAW, because the jpegs straight out of camera are gorgeous. I only wanted to use primes with my G3 and I shoot quite wide, so 35mm is an ideal and versatile focal length for me. You must ask yourself though what focal range you tend to shoot at before seriously considering purchasing this camera, because once you've committed to the Fuji X100's focal length there's no going back!

If I was to grade the camera with firmware v1.10, I would give it four stars - I can't comment on version 1.01 or 1.00, but from what I've read it was much worse to handle. I recently upgraded the firmware to Fuji's latest offering, v1.11, and for me it makes a significant difference. It now focuses a little faster, but more importantly I can get much closer to my subjects. One of my biggest irritations was how I had to step quite far back for portraits, for example; the latest firmware allows me to get closer and more intimate with my subjects, which is in keeping with my shooting style. If you buy this camera check the firmware immediately, and upgrade it if you need to.

The tactile controls are great to use, so it means you can change your main settings without having to move your eye away from the hybrid viewfinder, which is also a joy to use. The electronic view is sharp and bright, and the optical view has a digital overlay which is revolutionary. I mainly use the digital view, because if you want to shoot regularly at F2 it's good to see if your image is in focus immediately. At a flick of a switch on the front of the camera (again without moving your eye away from the viewfinder) you can switch between the two views.

So what are the downsides? I began this review by stating that it's neither a DSLR or a compact, so if you're used to either and expect it to operate as such, forget about it. The X100 has a fairly unique interface, and you must learn to use it for its own merits, without comparison. It's been designed to look and operate much like a rangefinder, with tactile controls that are great, but the digital menu is a bit of a mess. Like any menu, once you get used to it it's fine, but it could have been much more user-friendly. There's only one Fn button, and this is defaulted to changing your ISO, but it would be good to have another button to be able to assign the built in ND filter, for example, or to quickly change your film settings (it can mimic old Fuji film, such as Velvia and Astia).

If you like to focus manually, forget about it. I don't often so I'm fine, but using the focus ring on the lens is so cumbersome because it takes about ten or fifteen 'twists' of the ring to get something sharp! I don't think this is a big problem though, because I reckon it was designed so that one press of the AEF/AEL switch is required to get your subject in focus or close to, so it just takes a few spins of the focus wheel to get your subject pin sharp.

To conclude; it requires perseverence. Occasionally it can drive you mad. It's expensive. But it has character, and like all characters, it has its quirks. If you're passionate about photography I doubt you'd regret purchasing this beauty. The X100 takes awesome images, the viewfinder is brilliant and once you get used to it you'll never want to be without it. Oh, and it looks beautiful too, and let's be honest, that's part of the reason why you're interested, right?!
77 comments| 103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 March 2011
First impressions this is a solid piece of engineering, feels heavier than you'd expect (if you were expecting a Chinese compact)! Japanese build quality is superb. Switches, dials, aperture ring, etc, are all very high quality, with good detents at every position. In the box you also get a battery, charger + lead, USB lead, manual, CD, strap and attachment pieces, and a semi display box complete with black satin cloth! Even the strap attachment has been carefull designed with leather patches to prevent any scratching of the body. But no SD card, nor an LCD screen cover. The viewfinder works superbly, autoswitching when you bring up to the eye. Super bright. The display is customisable, in either viewfinder or in LCD. The menus are quite intuitive, some are deeper than others, although the jog dial is not that great in rotation mode, although you can use up or down just fine. The macro mode doesn't focus through the viewfinder, only LCD, this is a GOOD idea because there is some parallax error when getting close. The various colour and B&W modes are easily accessible, and filters work well. The display (either optical, or LCD) has just about everything you could possibly imagine in it, electronic spirit level is nice touch. It is more sophisticated than my Nikon D200 DSLR and handles superbly. The sensor sensitivity is also way beyond with punchy colours - if you want them e.g. on Velvia synthesis which used to be my film of choice, but you have several options for this. Minor gripes - no LCD screen cover, price is well up there, the optional case is very expensive, and so are the few extras like filter rings. However, I think the hype was worth it - a compact camera that has a sensor quality and controls that make you want to take photos, rather than being a compromise. Lets face it, compacts in the film era were only as good as the film, and the films were very good. Now we finally have digital sensors that can match the films and this is what this camera is all about - a technological marvel in a timeless classic body.
66 comments| 100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 July 2011
The hype surrounding this camera (or is that clever PR positioning?) was most impressive and being a sucker for hype immediately wanted one. I've made so many mistakes in that way and most of them end up either being returned or on eBay (if bought from less understanding online retailers than Amazon). Not this time. Everything the manufacturer claims for this camera is justified - even understated.

The first thing to impress is the quality packaging. All moody black and plush lined excellence. Removing the camera from its protective sleeve for the first time presents you with a surprisingly compact, but very solid feeling device. The retro design is brilliantly executed with the familiar controls of vintage cameras like the Periflex being replicated sometimes with an unexpected function e.g. what would be a self-timer on a film camera is actually the switch to flip between optical and electronic viewfinder. The mock-leather covering to the body is very well done and appears extremely hard-wearing. I agree with one of the other reviewers that the battery/memory card cover is a bit flimsy and write speeds are not the fastest. having said that, Fuji are perhaps being more honest than some makers in that they show you the progress of the buffered images being written whereas others don't.

But a great looking and feeling camera is no good unless it takes quality images. The sample shots on Fuji's web site are very impressive and so my expectations were very high. One point to note - there's no zoom or interchangeable lens capacity on this camera so you'll need to rediscover your compositional skills if, like me, you've become over-reliant on the point, zoom, shoot and crop technique. It's very refreshing to actually look at the scene you're about to photograph with a critical eye and consider the shot as a finished picture.

After a few test shots around the house and the garden, it soon became clear that this really is a special camera. The best word I can think of to describe the images from the Fuji is 'natural' and very film-like. Indeed, it has film modes that digitally replicate a number of famous Fuji emulsions. Skin tones, vegetation, architecture all are reproduced beautifully and the auto-focus is very good - if a little slow. Many of the camera's features are hidden deep in the menu system and it takes several days to fully get to grips with all of its functions and options, but stick with it and you'll be well rewarded.

Down sides of the camera; not too many, but the slow auto-focus would be one along with the need to switch to macro mode for close focussing from really quite far out. This is surprising considering the relatively wide-angle lens that's fitted. It's also annoying that the lens hood and mount are sold separately and very expensive! You will not be able to use the supplied lens cap with the hood fitted and neither does it fit securely over the lens hood mount. Fitting a UV filter can be problematic too as it can foul the auto-focus movement in macro mode.

A very attractive leather case is sold (again, very expensive) separately and while it looks great, I find it a hassle to use the camera with it on and use can't use it at all with the lens hood fitted. So now I just use the base on the case to offer some protection, but it needs to be removed to get to the battery and memory card - all a bit fiddly.

All in all, a great camera with a couple of minor irritations - but don't let that stop you buying one. The image quality alone makes it worth the investment and it looks stunning.
on 15 October 2011
I work as a studio photographer and generally use a Nikon D3x for close up, detailed work. It is however not the most portable of cameras, especially with the 24-70mm lens and R1C1 kit.

I bought an Olympus Pen camera recently and found it to be fantastic, although it tends to struggle a bit with lower light conditions. Having read many positive reviews about the Fuji X100 I thought I would invest in one for carrying with me on a daily basis.

The quality of the images is fantastic, especially when used as a street camera. I do however find that without the third party 'thumbs up' grip that the handling is weak.

I won't go over all the positives as you can see them in reviews online, but the optical viewfinder is great and I love the appearance and quality of image, even up to 3200 ISO, which is unheard of in a camera of this size.

The lens is also excellent and it can make you work harder in certain situations. Something special about a good quality prime lens like this.

I would recommend this camera to anyone, as a backup to a main SLR. There are times when you wont want to haul around an SLR with lens but if you find the 'average' pocket camera to be unappealing with substandard image quality then this comes highly recommended. Just be sure to invest in a half body protective cover, an adapter kit for a UV filter and the little thumb extension which slots into the flash shoe.
on 3 May 2011
I did finally manage to get my hands on one of these cameras after reading all the specs and reviews and after handling it I decided it was for me. I've had mine for just over a week and have used that time to get familiar with all the controls and functions etc.

You can read up on all the specs and the things it does elsewhwere, so I won't go into any of that but I have to say this camera is fantastic - it's a return to how cameras used to be, with good looks, solid build and an eyelevel viewfinder that will leave you never needing to use the rear screen for composing again (except maybe in very specific situations).

The camera is a joy to use and the performance of the APS-C size sensor is just way beyond anything the usual run of digital compacts can achieve. While I suppose this camera is a "compact" compared to SLRs, it is still larger than today's normal compact cameras(and even larger all round than my Canon G10). That makes it very easy to hold steady at eye level.

All in all this is a return to camera design that is very useable and practical but with all the advantages of up to date technology. Yes, it's expensive but if you ever used a precision camera in the days of film based photography then you'll understand and love this camera. The fixed focal length lens forces you to think about composition rather than just zooming and popping off the shot but I realise this is not going to be what everyone wants.

So, it's about performance and precision (with a bit of style thrown in) rather than a gadget fest!
on 28 June 2011
As a Nikon user i wanted something more compact but with good IQ, have been using the Olympus micro four thirds and pancake prime lenses and have been pretty happy,but has timed has moved on it has been evident the sensors of micro four thirds are not really moving on that much compared to AP-C sensor's, also the micro 4/3 concept seems to be going the mass market route , esp the Panasonic camera's, as Olympus seem unable to bring out a camera with a built in viewfinder my patience has come to an end.
I generally shoot 90% with a 35mm to 40mm equv focal length and the Fuji is spot on with a 35mm lens in real terms, the speed of the lens is also a nice bonus at F2, the autofocus is pretty snappy esp with the firmware upgrade, and is nice and sharp with a pleasant bokeh.
The build and old style controls such as the aperture ring are fantastic, the hybrid viewfinder is nothing short of amazing and has to be used to really get an idea of how great it is.
Lastly IQ,far better then any micro four thirds in dynamic range and high iso, 6400 iso is usable and i suspect the Fuji is 2 stops better then my Olympus E-PL1, the jpegs are awesome as are the Oly jpegs to be fair, exposure is spot on as well and the auto white balance is the best i have used compared to Oly and Nikon.
Great camera and should be a classic in time.
on 22 January 2012
I bought one of these from Park cameras in December.I was very pleased with it until after a few weeks my pictures were starting to dramatically overexpose a lot of the time due to the well known and obvious to see sticky blades problem.I then got a replacement camera but had concerns over the long term reliability of it and emailed Fuji UK via the so called Platinum service dedicated to this camera who fobbed me off saying it was only a few cameras affected etc etc I asked them where I stand if the camera were to be faulty after the one year warranty expired and they said they MAY still repair it if necessary. After a bit more email tennis they eventually agreed to extend the the warranty to two years.All of this was a waste of time as it turned out as my second camera started to do exactly the same thing after less than a week !!!!I went to Park cameras for a refund despite spending £150 on accessories specific to this camera which I will sell on e bay.Fuji seem to have their head in the sand over this issue and as the camera was released less than a year ago you have to wonder how many more cameras will fail over time.Beware you could be buying one of the worlds most expensive paper weights !
1414 comments| 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 January 2012
This is not going to be a long review as most of it has been said before, but this is a great little camera that one day will become a classic and it has taken me back to the sixties and seventies when I used a leica M4 and a Nikon F shooting Tri-X at 400asa or even 800asa and higher, I have taken pictures at 800iso on the Fujifilm X100 and can only say how pleased I am with them, to me this camera has the best of both worlds with the ease of digital photography (no longer hours spent in the darkroom breathing in developer and fixer fumes, although I do miss that a bit) and the camera controls are where they should be with the aperature ring mounted on the lens and the shutter speed dial on top of the camera, if you are used to the old film cameras then it wont take you long to get used to this little gem.

Yes as others have said the focus ring needs to be turned a lot which lets this camera down (hence only 4 stars) and some say the auto focus is a bit slow, but it works fine for me, some also say there is no anti-shake on this camera but do you really need that on a 35mm lens? I'm getting on in years and don't have the steadiest of hands and had good results at 1/60th sec and with this cameras performance at 800iso who needs it, and the viewfinder is just a dream.

I was a little hesitant about buying this camera after reading some reviews but I am now glad I took the plunge and now use this camera mainly as a street camera, my main camera is a Nikon D90 which is good but you don't always want to carry it around in places that it would be noticed and possibly stolen.

My Tri-X days seem to be back

UPDATE: Ten months down the line and this camera developed a fault, namely a loose connection inside the camera which meant it would not always turn on, so I sent it back to Amazon for a refund as I had lost confidence in its reliability.
on 14 December 2011
I have recently sold my Leica X1 after purchasing this camera it is that good. The image quality is outstanding, high ISO is on par with a full frame DSLR and easily trumps my d300s. The images are crisp and super sharp and colour reproduction is very impressive, I am more of a jpeg convert after using this camera when previously I would only ever shoot in RAW!

After purchasing it as a walk-around I am finding I am using it more and more because it is just a joy to use! It may have a few quirks but I find this adds to the character and to be honest the recent firmware update has taken care of most of these small issues.

If anyone is considering either this or the Leica X1, after owning both to me there is no question. The Fuji has better high ISO performance, a sharper lens, better overall image quality, a stunning hybrid viewfinder, better build quality (all metal construction). Most of all it feels like a real camera, no zoom lens like the Leica just a super sharp f2 pancake lens which encourages you to make the effort to compose and frame you shots, just the way it should be, and at £400 less than the Leica? No question.

Thank You Fuji!