Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.19

on 1 July 2013
The whole book can be summed up in one sentence: "focus on your goals and you'll achieve more", the same basic message conveyed by every self-help book under the sun. The only difference is Pressfield felt the need to write another 'The Secret' and layer on tons of spiritual and superstitious babble that suggests something profound whilst really just disguising a trite and, frankly, quite brief book.
The worst part comes when Pressfield attempts to clumsily integrate dated psychology. Statements like "angels make their home in the Self, while Resistance has its seat in the Ego" become commonplace and from that point on, the book is unreadable.
I'm sure Steven's fiction is quite good, but this was just awful.
44 comments|20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 December 2010
Parts of this book have been coming back to me ever since I read it....It just makes sense. Now when I feel an incredible urge to not do something, I know it is probably the one thing I need to do.
Are you creative, yet are facing writer's block? Read this book and it'll shake your block loose and help set you free!
In this slim volume Stephen Pressfield discusses the inner naysayer we all have within us, also referred to as an inner critic by most writers.This book helps you identify and defeat the negative self talk any creative person must deal with. It does so in a serious tone, sprinkled with lots of humor. For example, the heading of one of his essays is "How To Be Miserable" - it was an essay that had me chuckling. It also had me nodding my head as I recognized myself in what he wrote.

Written using a variety of short essays, this book is easy to pick up and read at any point. I read it from the first page to the last, in order. You don't necessarily need to do that to benefit from Stephen Pressfield's wisdom about the inner struggle creative people face from day to day. Read from beginning to end does have it's advantages though -- the author takes aim at resistance, procrastination, rationalization, and finally at the end winning the war. When we win the war of art we are free to create, free to be truly happy.

This is one of the best books I've read on the subject. It helped me identify my own foibles then smash the blocks holding me back. I saw myself in each page and triumphed along with the author. This is an excellent book for any creative person. I highly recommend it.
on 3 March 2014
The recommendation came, in my case, from Chris Guillebeau. A short book, but oh so powerful; as one of the reviews on the book cover says, the book is "a kick in the ass". Whatever you think your "true calling" might be, whatever you think you should be doing, whatever you secretly dream of doing...

"There's no mystery to turning pro. It's a decision brought about by an act of will. We make up our mind to view ourselves as pros and we do it. Simple as that."

So no more excuses! The only person stopping you is you. Well, Pressfield personifies the problem as "the Resistance", a fire-breathing dragon, which, ultimately, comes down to The Fear That We Will Succeed.

Maybe all the talk of dragons and angels and souls will turn some people off, but the core message is insightful and, I believe, fundamentally true, whatever your beliefs.
on 8 August 2013
just couldn't get into this and the layout and quality of the book didn't help. Was expecting a practical guide but just a load of old cobblers. May as well have bought one of those self-help books from a gift shop rack.
on 6 August 2007
This book takes no prisoners; it really made me think...and it opened a lot of doors. I've had five books published since reading it - believe me, it's that good at helping you overcome resistance!
on 16 May 2011
One of those books I'd heard about for years and finally bought - and I'm so glad I did.

By personifying 'Resistance' as the enemy, this approach has turned sticking to my writing schedule into a fun game. I get to win over that part of me that would seek instant gratification instead.

There are a few passages in the book which don't work for me - when the author goes into classical mythology or gets esoteric. But the other 80% of the book is just spot on.

I now recommend this to all my clients - who are starting their own businesses. Resistance gets in the way of great people doing great work - and that's not okay - so this book is an excellent resource for shifting our mindset and getting down to the important work.
on 22 February 2011
This is a great book. From the introduction - which lesser authors would have dropped as it doesn't sing the praises of all the book - to the relentless pursuit, and exploration of what truly is an artist/ writer...etc. The key is, at the end of the day, if you aren't doing what you want to do, you're doing it wrong. This book doesn't claim to know your problem, but it does know where it hides and its humour and insights gives you the desire and energy to go and hunt it down. Once the problem that stops you writing is cornered it just disappears, just like magic... of course it'll be back tomorrow in another guise, but...'bring it on!'
on 3 January 2015
A very influential book for me. The morning I completed the book I resigned from my then job and started my own business the next Monday. In fact, this is one of the most important books I have ever read, along with Choose Yourself by James Altucher.
on 15 April 2016
I'm sorry Steven but I couldn't read more than a couple of pages of this. There were too many sweeping statements and generalisations for me to be able to take the rest of it seriously. If you want to suggest that resistance causes more misery than poverty but without any backup, I think you ought to say it's just your opinion. The same goes for what would happen if everyone dedicated themselves to their "calling" - prisons would empty? I've no doubt that this is a big problem, and it's one I'm struggling with myself daily, but I lost faith in your book after the first few unsubstantiated claims. Sorry.