Format: DVD|Change

on 22 February 2012
Went along to the Glasgow film theatre to see this documentary about the irreplaceable Diana Vreeland what a woman,she is so entertaining, what a star I wish I could have met her, what fun she would have been.
This film documentary is a must for anyone interested in fashion.
The book is also brilliant.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 21 January 2016
I never paid any attention to the name Diana Vreeland before but I like documentaries and, having watched two excellent films on fashion, “ The September Issue” and “Dior and I” I thought that “Diana Vreeland - The Eye has to Travel” would be another excellent documentary. It is but, as I see it, this film would make for an excellent radio programme.

This is the only negative review about the dvd and I know that many folks will get upset. No reason for that. I am writing this review having in mind customers like me who don’t like bitty, fragmentary documentaries where the image changes every three or four seconds during most of the film and there are zooms and pans on photos all the time.

The beginning is cleverly done and quite original. The core of Diana Vreeland’s talks seems to be taken from a recorded conversation with George Plimpton. Diana Vreeland is very intelligent, very honest, very witty. It was a pleasure to hear her talking. But this is just it. As she talks the images keep changing non stop. If she talks for one minute then you have, in one minute, excerpts of films, photos with those annoying zooms and other tricks. In addition to that and out of the blue, they put bits of different filmed interviews with Diana Vreeland so she is, say, 40 years old in an interview and two minutes later she is 60.

The voices of Diana Vreeland and other people who talk in the film are illustrated, in general, with far too many bits of filmed images and photos with zoom. I could watch only about 25 minutes of film and had to gave up because I got sea sick.

Most people don’t notice or , if they do, don’t care about the fragmented aspect of the film. Well, I do notice and it does bother me. I know for a fact that there are other customers who also don’t like documentaries or films “made in” shortattentionspanland.
I am writing this review having those customers in mind.

The film has subtitles in English which I didn’t use because they make even more evident the fragmentary aspect of the film.

The extras have deleted scenes of interviews with Ali McGraw, Anjelica Huston and others.

I really liked what Diana Vreeland was saying but I couldn’t stand the over fragmented style of the film so I did consider, and am not being sarcastic here, to play the dvd and just listen to its audio as if I was listening to a radio programme. The thing is, I don’t listen to radio.

There is a big mismatch between the rhythm of images and the rhythm of audio in this film so I do think that the film would be excellent if it was a radio programme.

But as a film , “Diana Vreeland” is like a scrapbook. But in a scrapbook you can choose what to read and look at and you can read and look in your own time. But as this is a film what happens is that someone is talking whilst a cornucopia of images, not necessarily related to what is being said, is displayed in a very fast and fragmented way.

This is a review about the film on dvd, not about Diana Vreeland… My opinion will go there as one star because I couldn’t watch the film even until its half.
on 9 September 2012
Saw this documentary at a screening a couple of months ago. It is fantastic and I could have watched it again straight away. A fascinating insight into a fascinating woman - highly recommended.
on 29 January 2013
For anyone interested in Fashion history, Diana Vreeland was a legend in her time. Totally unique individual , with flair , courage and a high degree of selfishness no doubt. Worth watching. Sympathetically produced.
on 6 November 2012
WOW! WOW! WOW! What an amazing dvd. What an amazing Lady. What an amazing documentary. What amazing footage! WOW!
IT IS BRILLIANT
on 12 March 2013
Diana Vreeland shows you where self-confidence and a divine sense of ones own eye for beauty can lead you. Matter-of-fact and with an unforgiving honesty, this is a great documentary about this fascinating woman.
on 26 February 2013
She was and still is an icon and this video gave a fascinating background into her life and career and her extraordinary gifts.
on 2 March 2014
A fascinating documentary about a unique woman with an enormous personality. Her life and work spanned so many decades - from the belle epoch to the roaring 20s to the swinging 60s - that the film is almost a history of fashion in the 20th century. You don't need to love fashion to find this film interesting, but it is a feast for fashion lovers. The images created under her magazine editorship from the 40s to the 70s are simply lush. Exotic locations, incredible photos, I wanted to slow the film down to relish them more!
on 10 February 2013
I loved the interview, but Diana herself was the best. And after Diana, Pierre Berge.

She was unique and the documentary demonstrates it.
What don't You? Buy It'
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 20 October 2015
As a writer of fashion fiction I was naturally drawn to this. This is a fascinating look at the life of the creative force that was Diana Vreeland. I do feel it’s a slightly romantic account of her life, but that does not lessen its impact and great interest.

We see that Diana had quite a privileged bohemian upbringing and is quite free spirited in her outlook and behaviour. Her early life was spent in London and Paris where she meets Coco Chanel who helps to develop her sense of style before her family move to America at the start of the Second World War.

Although very hardworking and with no experience she seems to drift with ease into the world of fashion journalism and takes a unique visionary approach that quickly gets her noticed and promoted. I felt she was a great romantic, everything was her take on something and this was often glamorous, exotic, expensive, glossy and as I say highly romanticised. Her creative force knew absolutely no boundaries and once ensconced at Vogue she was very demanding but had great energy and her fashion layouts while stunning, glamorous and groundbreaking were complicated and time consuming costing a fortune. Ultimately leading to her leaving Vogue.

However her visionary talent was noted and she ended up at the Metropolitan museum in New York using their extensive historical and couture collections in a new innovative story telling way, opening up a whole new world of fashion to the public. Diana was an innovator, a leader of style and never a follower of fashion. She was also a force to be reckoned with. I liked her very much.