Format: DVD|Change

on 23 August 2012
This is a time capsule. Having lived in the UK for around 4 years, I grew to love the pubs and went to many, both in city and in country. I bought it because I miss all that, being back in Australia, where we have fake Irish pubs. I don't know why they don't hire 80 year old men dressed in costume smoking pipes to make them more authentic. Anyway, I took a chance and absolutely loved this collection of films, which would be great to watch with a few mates and a few beers. Long may the real pub (and real ale) remain vital in the UK !
on 21 August 2012
If you can't get to the pub you can watch this while having a tipple at home. Worth having in your D.V.D. collection so you can cheer yourself up when you are feeling a bit down or it's raining. It's always RAINING!
on 14 June 2013
I had a good reason to purchase this item and wasn't disappointed. Haven't watched the whole set yet but loved what I have viewed so far. Nostalgic and educational. One day I see a history lesson in the culture of pubs as I'm sure there won't be many left in the future. It shows a totally different way to socializing in the pubs and bars of yesteryear. The live music, music-hall and themed events that drew in the crowds. Magic!
on 31 May 2013
Loved this DVD as the part Tyne Main my dad is the singer,people have said the other singer is a lady but it was my dads singing partner Bob, My dad(Arnold Carter)had had a motorbike accident a few years before this was made and was paralysed down his left side, they were very popular singers in the social clubs, My aunt has said after watching the DVD my dad was more than a bit tipsy, a lovely keepsake
on 30 January 2014
A real mixed bag but worth it. Some of the shorts are only thirty seconds and others are thirty minutes. As to be expected some are sponsored by those with vested interests whereas others are the work of auteurs. The last two films on the first disc are examples of the latter and for me are the highlights. The commercials have some credit as well. Where the budget permitted time and expertise have left some fine work. I feel some of the other commercials should really have been left out. They don't sit well either as historical documents or even as cheesy entertainment. In spite of those this is a fine set and one I can se myself watching again.
on 25 August 2012
These two dvds turned out to bea lot better than i was expecting.It was an enjoyable watch of days gone by.I would highly recommend these dvd to anyone interested in beer and pubs.Any member of CAMRA should snap these upimmediately ;Well worth the purchase i assure you.
on 15 January 2015
I viewed this christmas night with my father who is now 87, and we thoroughly enjoyed the history.
on 21 January 2014
A mixed bag of iconic films one to watch with the lads over a few real ales of a winter's evening.
on 8 January 2015
Very interesting genuine footage. Would appeal to any pub lover over say 30 (unless a real enthusiast.) and any fan of Stuart Henry so great to see him again after all these years!
on 5 July 2013
Very good reminder of what things were like in a different age, smoky pubs, cards, skittles and people actually talking to one an another. This is what a community used to be like.