5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant entertainment!
Published on 25 Nov 2011 by Mr. J. W. Mc Evoy

2.0 out of 5 stars Le Wire - it aint!
I am completely baffled by the 5 star reviews for this French series. This series annoyed me and I shall forever regret the lost 6 hours I wasted watching it.

Published on 9 Aug 2012 by zubedaky

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant entertainment!, 25 Nov 2011
Mr. J. W. Mc Evoy - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Why is this not on DVD in the UK yet?!?!? This has got to be one of the best programs on TV at the moment. I am currently watching it on FX HD, a channel on Sky HD and it is fantastic. From the first episode it grips like a vice and doesn't let go. It concerns a group of police officers in Paris that work for a special task force. When one of their team commits suicide after being investigated, they spring to work to clear his name and stop internal affairs from bringing them all down. This is a team who don't so much bend the rules, as break them, and set fire to them and dance on the ashes...but all for a good reason.

The team is headed up by Caplan (Jean Hugues Anglade from Killing Zoe & Betty Blue), a phenomenal actor who you can't help but root for no matter how flawed he is. A brilliant program which can't come to English DVD soon enough.

Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for the sensitive :), 1 Dec 2011
S. Roberts (York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Braquo - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Won't go into the plot as the blurb sums up the story nicely. Watching this on FX at the moment. Hyper violent, dark but hugely thrilling, If you are a fan of euro crime, you will love this, but be warned it makes The Killing look like Cbeebies does Murder She Wrote.

5.0 out of 5 stars A TRUE OLIVIER MARCHAL GEM, just like his films, 5 Jan 2012
This review is from: Braquo - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I am a big fan of Marchal's feature films, so dark and so good at portraying Paris's dirty cops routine. This series was no exception.
The acting is first class, the plot is gripping, very violent yet their friendship and loyalty will make you forgive their every mistake.
And nice to see Anglade act again since I saw him in Betty Blue or Nikita. ANGLADE has the charisma to carry off his role as the leader of the pack.

I recently watched the whole series on FX and was hooked, I cannot wait for series 2 to start playing here in Uk.

I am French, I love the fact that my country has produced something of such quality and originality. The French are getting better at making exciting crime and cop thrillers films, watch out for the latest MARCHAL movie set in my hometown Lyon: "LES LYONNAIS". It should come out soon here in Uk. I hope it is just as good as his latest ones.

Also, I have been recommended the series "SPIRALS" (1,2&3) also available on amazon, so will defo get that sometime soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best thing I have ever watched!, 28 April 2012
This review is from: Braquo - The complete season one [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
As the title says really! l first caught onto this show by luck as I was bored and I found it through Sky Anytime,had never heard of it before and luckily it was the first episode so I thought I would give it a chance and I can say it's just superb,superb acting,superb action,superb plot! I never write reviews and very very rarely buy DVDs or Blu Rays but for Braquo I have done both! Can't recommend it highly enough, enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars For those who love Spiral, 15 Mar 2013
M. Reid - See all my reviews
This review is from: Braquo - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
This is really plumbing the depths of fictional corrupt French police officers! Not for those without a strong stomach, I would say. If you love Spiral, and want to see what would happen if a Gilou sort of character allowed his temptations to get the better of him, start watching Braquo. It's brutal, grimy, violent, disturbing, fairly shocking. I'm really enjoying it, but this isn't the sort of series where you get some relief from the police brutality by following a side story about lawyers or victims etc.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 19 Mar 2013
This review is from: Braquo - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
The French make excellent crime dramas and this is a prime example of the genre. No need to repeat the synopsis just suffice to say it's about a rogue police unit who's tendency to cross the line in order to apprehend the criminals causes them to lose sight of their own moral compass. If you liked the US series "The Shield" and can cope with subtitles then you'll like this. In fact there are striking similarities to the storylines in both series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent viewing, 17 May 2012
This review is from: Braquo - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
This series is excellent, the story compelling and I was hooked from start to finish. The plot was complex and involving and the action fast-paced. OK there were a couple of quibbles - the way the main players recovered from injury was cartoonish, the troubles piled up slightly too high to be possible - but that doesn't distract from the high octane style and story telling. Highly recommended.

I see there is series 2 out now - I can't wait to see it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not seen the DVD, but was great TV, 3 Jan 2012
M. Saxby (Fleet, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Braquo - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I can't comment on the DVD package, but this was truly great TV in my view.

I almost didn't watch it after the first episode, so if you find you're not enjoying it THAT much after episode one, give it a chance.

A bit like The Shield with distinctly anti-hero policemen, but cliffhanger endings and impossible-to-escape scenarios abound and all with a Gallic shrug and a Gauloise hanging from the side of the mouth.

Needs careful watching unless you speak French, but worth every second of it.

Hugely looking forward to the second series.

2.0 out of 5 stars Le Wire - it aint!, 9 Aug 2012
This review is from: Braquo - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)

It is extremely (annoyingly so) far fetched. The dialogue is diabolical and the plotting terribly heavy fisted. There is nothing subtle about the series at all and next to no characterisation. I was going to say that the 4 principal characters seemed to me to be one and the same, but I would actually extend the point to say that all of the characters in the entire series seemed to me to be one and the same. All are grubby, all are violent, all are amoral and none of them are likeable. Who on earth can be bothered with a second series - despite the poor ending to this series (it doesn't end in any satsifying way but simply stops part way through) - I was glad when it ended so that I could move onto something better. Anyone for Spiral 4?

And on the positive side... eh... I learnt some new French swear words!

If you like your action like "Doberman" (another terrible recent French film) this may be to your liking. If you like something a little more subtle, save yourself wasting six hours.

5.0 out of 5 stars Braquo rocks!!!, 4 Sep 2012
This review is from: Braquo - The complete season one [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This is one super hot new series! Absolutely loved it and immediately ordered series 2! Beats any other cop-series you've ever seen. Gritty, realistic and really really suspenseful! Not for the faint of heart, however... :-)

Braquo - The complete season one [Blu-ray]
Braquo - The complete season one [Blu-ray] by Frédéric Schoendoerffer (Blu-ray - 2012)