5.0 out of 5 stars It just works: this is my story
Published 19 months ago by rossikins

3.0 out of 5 stars ipl 5000 successor? I think not!
I have had great success with the IPL5000 model, until it found a new home :/

I had a few stray hairs left to blast, so this time I thought I go for this, the IPL4000 Essential.

The machine is virtually identical to the 5000 model, I honestly cannot point out the 'improvement' because one would expect new models are better models.

This is...
Published on 3 April 2012 by maria

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars It just works: this is my story, 17 Feb 2013
This review is from: Remington IPL 4000 i-Light Essential Hair Removal System (Personal Care)
I'm a 19 year old lad. I'm into all the stuff 19 year old lads are into: partying, drinking, sex etc but the difference is, I NEVER take my top off. Never have and never thought I would. Since I was about 15 I've had LOADS of body hair on my torso and it's always really bothered me. I used to keep my PE kit on under my clothes at school so I didn't have to take my top off to get changed and obviously, swimming is a no-no. I thought this is how it would stay but, it would seem, this product MIGHT be the answer.

I've been using it for about a month and already about a quarter of the hair is gone. If you're thinking it's all going to go in one session, you're going to be disappointed and it does take a couple of weeks for any effects to show at all but trust me, it does work. After a bit of googling, this seems to be the case with professional treatment as well... Based on my experience so far, I'd say the prediction of "hair free in six months" might be a little conservative but I suppose we will see!

I read through loads of reviews for this thing before I bought it and all the negative ones said the same thing: the cable's too short and the bulbs don't last long. Both are fair comments; the cable is quite short but how far from the wall do you need to be stood?? it's plenty long enough to get it from a plug to a table. The bulb issue is an interesting one. I got five or six sessions on my entire torso out of mine before the first bulb went (I'm ignoring the "don't do it more than once a week" warning. Let's hope this isn't a disaster!) and the replacement was about £16 on amazon. Yes that sounds a lot but I've still only paid about what I would for one session in a salon and got six in the comfort of my own home... I think this is worth it. Obviously, this value will average out even better over time anyway since you only buy the actual machine once. Word of warning though, it doesn't give you much caution that the current bulb is about to blow - probably best to always have a spare hanging around.

In terms of actual use, it's pretty easy. Point and click, literally. It's my first time using anything like this and the first zap was a bit of a shock. It feels sort of like those ab belt things you can buy to help you exercise without actually doing anything, but you get used to it pretty quickly and it doesn't actually hurt. Certainly less painful than waxing and epilating (I've done both!) and certainly less painful than leaving hair removal cream on for too long (yep!!). The reason it doesn't work in just one session is that it can only get hairs in the growing phase of their cycle. I don't know what this means so I'm taking it literally and assuming it's actually when they're growing... Either way, you know it's got them because a) you only feel anything in the roots of the hairs it's killed - try doing it somewhere with no hair, you don't feel a thing... and b) they burn up - sometimes they shrivel and sometimes just burn away. It takes a few weeks for the root to go and in some cases it looks like they're still actually growing but they do come out, I promise. Also, this burning is accompanied by a tiny bit of smoke. Nearly had a heat attack first time round but now I see it as a minor victory over the hairs!!

Occasionally, there is a bit of redness and this can get quite itchy. I've been using sudocrem on it at night and just some light moisturiser in the day. It actually isn't bad enough to warrant this but as I don't have the slightest clue how this thing works, I figured it's best to be on the safe side! I've been exfoliating every other day as well. I have no idea if this makes a difference but in my head it's a glorious idea :P

Overall, this seems to be working for me. Whether it'll work for you or not is a different story I suppose. Amazon's two week returns policy is pointless with this though since you won't have seen any results yet so be sure you actually want it before you buy it!

I'm looking forward to a summer of water fights, swimming pools and beach parties without finding excuses to keep my top on... Suppose I'd best hit the gym at some point!

5.0 out of 5 stars After a year of use I am still happy with this purchase, 30 July 2014
After a year of use I am still happy with this purchase. I use it 2x per month bikini line only and have just replaced the bulb. Although it does not remove 100% of hair 100% of the time ( as they point out) the benefits of ease of use , quickness and most importantly no ingrowing hairs make it ideal. Hairs do grow back slower and finer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, Silky-Smooth Results, 23 July 2012
S. Thomas - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have tried a number of different hair removal products over the years and this one ranks highly against the rest.

* Corded Handset

Having previously used a Rio Scanning Laser that had a corded handset and finding that awkward, I had anticipated that this would be a drawback with the Remington i-Light; in this case however, the lead is sufficiently long (both to base and handset) that it can be used with ease. Being mains-powered, the fact that you don't have to charge prior to each use is a huge bonus and reduces overall preparation and treatment time.

* Starting Up

The Remington i-Light comes with a relatively short instruction manual that outlines the dos and don'ts of use (including the facts this unit is not suitable for use on the face, neck or on darker skin tones/fair or grey hair).

* Comfort and Ease of Use

My skin is pale and I have dark hair, so I can use the unit at the highest light intensity levels. I experienced no skin reactions and no discomfort, other than being able to detect a small amount of heat against my skin.

The treatment area needs to be shaved to avoid the potential for discomfort from burning hair and, at the lowest levels, I couldn't feel a thing. At higher levels there was still absolutely no pain or discomfort, all I could feel was some mild warmth on my skin immediately after the occasional flash.

* Treatment Times

This unit is quick to use; not only is there no prior charging to take into account, one flash is all that it takes before you move onto the next area. Speed of use is greatly facilitated by the multi-flash mode; the unit automatically flashes every two seconds (subject to the handset being correctly positioned). Whilst the area treated by each flash is fairly small, this means you do not have to dedicate hours to the task at hand.

Hair fell out a couple of days after treatment, leaving smooth skin and re-growth was slow and finer.

* Alternatives

I have previously used a Rio Scanning Laser; it took an age to treat even small areas and, combined with a short cable to the handset, it was awkward to use; I was also underwhelmed when it came to the results. Whilst the i-Light is corded, the cable length facilitates use and cannot be deemed a detraction.

A viable alternative to the i-Light would be the Philips Lumea; this is cordless, so needs charging before and possibly during use, but offers a more flexible approach to hair removal (including the fact it can be used on the face). The Lumea also feels slightly easier to use, simply due to the positioning of the flash control button but, unless you want a unit that can be used on the face, there isn't really much to choose between it and the i-Light.

I have also regularly epilated, a method that offers even faster results and leaves the treated area instantly hair-free. There is some discomfort although this lessens with repeated use, but it is definitely more uncomfortable than the i-Light. As hair does not instantly fall out when using the i-Light, it is easy to miss some areas so I found results were patchy to start with but, as I use it more, I have developed a better method and thus am finding results are on a par with those of epilation - but without any pain.

Pros:

* Preparation is the key and, other than slight warmth from time to time, I did not feel anything.

* Easy to use.

* Mains powered so no charging needed prior to use.

* Fast results.

* Automatic 2-second flash repeats using multi-flash mode really speeds the process up.

Cons:

* Small treatment area per flash.

Summary

The i-Light offers pain and discomfort-free hair removal with results that are on a par with those achieved with epilation. If you are looking for a unit that can be used on the face/neck then this isn't for you (I would suggest the Philips Lumea instead), otherwise this offers an affordable, pain-free solution for long term hair removal.

3.0 out of 5 stars ipl 5000 successor? I think not!, 3 April 2012
I have had great success with the IPL5000 model, until it found a new home :/

This is worse, and I wished I had bought another 5000. The main reason for this is because the 5000 happily repeat flashes for about 30 flashes before the main unit needs a cool-down (power off required for 5 mins) this model needed unit power down every 8 flashes.. it was very frustrating. Maybe faulty, who knows

The downside to whole range of Remington IPL is the life of the bulb, it is quite short. To get myself the body super-smooth, I had to purchase 3 extra bulbs, spread over 4 months, (at £20 a shot it soon tots up) but its very easy to switch bulbs.

I hear that they are soon bringing out the Remington IPL6000 Pro. so my advice is to wait for that, or go for the 5000
Happy Zapping!!

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok, 20 Jun 2012
I bought the product half a year ago and still using it since. I mainly use it on my legs and have noticed that the hair that is growing back in less than before so in that sense it does a good job. What i find it very annoying is that the replacement bulbs don't last very long and because I have to keep buying them, for the long run it can get quite expensive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does work - now virtually hair free. No more stubble or shaving rashes., 1 Jun 2014
I have the older version of this product so can only assume this one is similar. I would say 95% of my leg hair and bikini line hair has gone. The odd hairs that grow back are soft and fairer. No more stubble which is just fantastic. I use this about once a month to every six weeks now. Initially I used it every two weeks. I don't even need to shave between treatments that often and when I do it is just because the odd hair has come through. No more worry about shaving rash on holidays or feeling stubble coming through just hours after shaving. The only part it has not been that effective on is my underarms but that it is no big issue to shave there. I am very pleased I invested in this product and wish it had been around years ago. What a brilliant invention. So nice to feel feminine with silky, hairless skin. If you have fair skin like mine and darker hairs then I can not recommend this product enough. It has given me freedom from one less worry, which can only be a good thing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Awkward to use, not sure if it really works, 23 Jun 2012
SilentSinger (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As I already own a Phillips Lumea hair removal system I was interested to test a rival system and yes, I'm hairy enough to warrant both! I think when customers are paying this amount of money for a piece of equipment they really need to know what works and what doesn't, so I'll hopefully be as candid as possible. I have fair to medium skin and dark brown body hair so I'm a prime candidate to use home lasers, just as long as I don't go out in the British sun (some hope!) and get tanned because it's the juxtoposition of skin plus hair colour allows the laser to penetrate the hair follicle.

So, what did I like about this system? Well, I suppose that it can be used for both men and women where its main rival can't. It also has a multi-flash option which is a bonus for treating large areas such as the legs. The unit is also comfortable to hold in the hand, which is useful because it take ages to treat certain areas.

Now, for the downside - firstly, the unit is huge and is stored in an enormous box which I have to keep in the understairs cupboard - yes, that's how large it is. In comparision, the Philips Lumea zips into a small purple satin pouch and is cordless. Sadly, this has to be constantly plugged into the mains and to add insult to injury, sports a very short cord. It's noisy to use and I found that I had to turn the sound up on the TV to hear it properly over the machine's whine. I tried to use the multi flash function but it was a bit sporadic, I of course referred to the instructions which weren't much use. To be honest, the whole thing was a bit hit and miss and didn't seem to work particularly well and become overheated very quickly.

In conclusion: I'm not really sure if I can recommend this system as I can't swear that it works. There's also the fact that you'll have to purchase replacement bulbs at twenty quid a pop which isn't cheap. As with any long-term hair removal system it'll take time and commitment to see any decent results.

4.0 out of 5 stars Be patient and you'll be pleasantly surprised., 22 July 2013
I started seeing results on my legs after 2 months (4 treatments). The hair grows back more slowly, is more sparse and there are areas where the hair hasn't grown back at all. You shave the hair just before treatment and then shave as needed inbetween treatments. After 6 months, any hair that grows on my legs is not noticeable, so I'm able to get away without doing anything to my legs between treatments.
The best thing is that I use it on the lowest setting on facial hair (I was terrified about having to shave it in order to do the treatment!) and I have had no regrowth at all. I'm amazed (and over the moon) about that!
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have worked so quickly on my underarms. Only after 6 months does the regrowth seem to be slowing down but at least it's starting to work.
Treating all 3 areas each fortnight takes about 30 minutes. The unit overheats repeatedly when I'm doing my legs, so I have to keep waiting for the lights to stop flashing before continuing. By the time it's ready again, I've forgotten which direction I'd been going in, so I now draw an up or down arrow on my leg in the last location with white eyeliner (which I also use to cover freckles and moles during treatment)so I know where to resume treatment and which direction to go in.
During the 6 months, I've replaced the bulb twice.
All in all, this has been the most effective treatment I've ever used and I'd highly recommend it. It is a long term treatment, not an instant fix and as long as you know this, you shouldn't be disappointed.
Before trying this, I'd used the No!No! for a year with absolutely no results. This is miles better!

4.0 out of 5 stars Really effective hair removal, 25 May 2012
Dicko (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My wife has been using this for a while now and it really works as it says it does and the best thing is it's pain free. It can be used by both males and females and is easy to use the device.

The only reason I gave it 4 stars is that after reading a few more reviews by others, the bulbs do not last long and are about £20 to replace so this could end up costing quite a bit, but since it's so effective, I think it'll still be used.

It lives up to its claims which is good though!

1.0 out of 5 stars Overheating is a major issue with this item, 24 Sep 2013
I bought this item over a year ago, and I'm still using it for the sole reason that I begrudge spending all that money on an item that is worse than useless, and I'm too poor to try out a new hair removal system

I'm a youngish Caucasian lady with pretty dense black hairs on my underarms resulting from years of shaving, and I will admit that after a few months of use I did see the hairs growing back slower and thinner. The problem is that I have to do one underarm at a time, because it now overheats after just a few pulses! I see no reason for this. I use a much lower intensity than I did at first use and replacing the bulb does not seem to help.

My recommendation is that it's a waste of money for any hair/skin type. Bic razors are much better value!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›