5.0 out of 5 stars Feature packed with excellent Blu-ray playback!
Published on 11 Jun. 2012 by Papillon

1.0 out of 5 stars Be Warned!
Published 24 months ago by M Hobbs

5.0 out of 5 stars Feature packed with excellent Blu-ray playback!, 11 Jun. 2012
Papillon - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Panasonic DMP-BDT220EB Smart Network 3D Blu-ray Player - Black (Electronics)
I won't go through all the features this Blu-ray offers-you can read all that in the product description! Suffice to say it offers upscaling of DVD's, internet connectivity and 3D functionality. Set up was very straightforward, link up to wi-fi was a breeze and firmware was automatically updated on installation. It's energy efficient, sleek and compact and very responsive, I noticed straight away how instantly the tray opens and closes compared to my old DVD player!

Most importantly, the picture quality on Blu-ray playback is excellent. When compared to HD TV content it has the edge for crispness and colour. Audio quality is also very good, noticeably better than HD TV broadcasts. It has a nifty little feature called 'night surround' which gives you a powerful sound even with a low volume and if playing music DVD's or CD's it has 'remaster' settings for different types of music. There is a setting called 'dialogue enhancer' which we normally have turned on but we noticed the kind of digital noise you sometimes hear on DAB radio broadcasts on a recent Blu-ray. Turning the dialogue enhancer setting to off stopped the problem but with the next Blu-ray we played we turned it back on without any further problems. To be honest we haven't played with every setting as yet, the playback is so good straight out of the box we haven't worried about tweaking it unless a problem arises with the playback. DVD's on this player are appreciably better than a standard DVD player but can't compare with the clarity and detail of a Blu-ray disc. We don't have 3D glasses so can't comment on 3D performance but according to reviews on the web it is said to be very good.

We have paired the Blu-ray player with the 2012 Panasonic 42 inch Viera Plasma TV (ST series) Panasonic TX-P42ST50B 42-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 3D Plasma TV with Freeview and Smart Viera - Dark Grey (New for 2012) which I have also reviewed, so the TV remote can control play, stop, pause, fast forward, rewind and volume on the Blu-ray. The Blu-ray remote also has limited functionality for the TV (on/off, select AV input and volume).

Overall very pleased with the purchase and would be happy to recommend the item.

1.0 out of 5 stars Be Warned!, 15 Mar. 2013
This Blu-Ray player is pants. Whilst in it's basest of requirements, it plays Blu-Rays and DVDs well enough, there the satisfaction ends. It is supposed to be a smart device, which after a fashion it is. However, it struggles with it's DLNA linking (as does my Smart Viera TV. What's even worse, is that if you want to stream movies to it (surely part of the reason for buying....), forget it, it barely plays any formats - an absolute abomination. The GUI is rubbish also, and as for the available apps - again, a load of old rubbish, mostly just obscure foreign bits.

This has now been replaced for a Sony BDP S 590. As much as the Panasonic is bad, so the Sony is the opposite - superb (all areas). The apps are great, DLNA superb, and it will play just about anything you throw at it. Another real bonus with the Sony, the Lovefilm app content is not cut down (unlike a lot of other smart devices), so you can access the full content - in HD where available. The Sony also has fully adaptive bit-rate, and fully adaptive bandwidth (for internet connected stuff).

So, don't buy the Panasonic, buy a Sony. PS have also relegated the Smart Viera TV to my den, and replaced with LG 3D, 10 x better. Used to be a big Panasonic fan, sadly will never buy Panasonic again.....

5.0 out of 5 stars I-player works fine, 24 Oct. 2012
Excellent blu-ray and DVD player with useful network abilities. A recent review indicated a problem with i-player but this works perfectly with mine. My only criticism is that the wireless range of this device is not as good as some other devices. Streaming HD videos from Windows Media Center (win7)works perfectly using D-link homeplugs.

3.0 out of 5 stars BBC iPlayer problems, 13 Oct. 2012
Bought this unit from Amazon in May and up to the beginning of October I was very pleased. All of a sudden the BBC iPlayer app dispays a security issue dialogue box when you play a programme, that you cannot get rid of! Having contacted the BBC they have told me that this player has not yet been certified to play content from BBC iPlayer. Here is a link below to their current list of certified devices. I'm currently considering whether I can return this unit to Amazon for a refund - need to see if it states in the description that it works with the iPlayer. As of writing this - mid-Oct 2012 it does not. I have contaced Panasonic and am waiting a response. If I don't get one, I'll contact them again and say I'm returning the unit. Buyer beware if iPlayer is an important feature of this player's functionality to you.

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a Blue Ray Player that I prefer to my PS3, 9 Aug. 2012
A couple of years ago I bought a Sony Blue Ray Player on the basis of many glowing reviews. The problem was that using it was a nightmare and the picture was if anything not as good as my PS3. I bought this new player reluctantly. Apparently the PS3 is too ugly for the living room - not exactly my view. I selected this player on the basis, once again, some good reviews and it's ability to link to my new TV via the Smart Veira function. The picture is great, really good, but what I really like is the ease of use. Not just how easily it integrates with Smart Viera but things like how quickly it boots up, the fast forward function etc. It is clearly a generation ahead of the original Sony. I have not really delved into its other functions, e.g. The browser, Skype etc, but as a Blue Ray Player it is great.
As far as 3D is concerned this is my first experience of domestic 3D. I have to say personally I hate it. The flickering in the periphery of your vision when wearing the glasses quickly makes me a little queasy. This is not the fault of the player though, I have experimented with other sources. Simply I am not a 3D fan. Having said that, the player is worth the money simply for its ability to deliver excellent HD content in a very user friendly fashion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bloody good.., 12 Mar. 2012
Excellent new product from Panasonic...

Sleek, excellent upscaling from standard DVD (which also looked a lot better than being played through my old DVD player via a standard Scart cable), brilliant Blue Ray playback (even girlfriend noticed!!!!) and a few extra features including access to You Tube, Skype, and many other on-line services.

Everything arrived in perfect condition, and setup was very easy..

Once installed I only tweeked a couple of settings in the DVD Player Setup menu, i.e. changing the DVD output size to match my tv screen, and DVD output signal to PAL to suit my television..(don't confuse this with NTSC DVD output. You can easily live without doing this though...

Highly recommend.. buy one today!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed bag with some big flaws, 24 Oct. 2012
This Blu-Ray player plays DVDs and Blu-ray discs really well - a really quick start-up for instance, far quicker in fact than other Panasonic DVD products (eg Panasonic DMR-EZ49vEBK Super Multi Format Combi Recorder with Freeview which takes an age to fire up).

I just wanted to warn potential buyers of a few big flaws in this unit. Firstly, it doesn't remember where you got to when watching a disc. Every time we have to interrupt watching a film, the unit sends the disc back to the start. And when you watch films in chunks (eg with children) this means you get every single bit of enforced guff - logos, warnings, adverts etc - every time you watch. I seriously thought this went out the window back in the 90s, so do be warned.

The second annoyance is that if you've bought this unit for its compatibility with other Panasonic products, you will pay the price! It's great that the units talk to eachother and that they are compatible of course, but not so great if you just want to watch the TV or a hard drive. Turning the TV on also turns the Blu-ray/DVD unit on, which overrides any other input choice you've made. You therefore have to wait until the Blu-ray/DVD has warmed up, turn it off, then go through the TV AV options to switch it back to the input you wanted in the first place. There is a supposed work-around which stops the remotes operating different machines, but it doesn't seem to work - and the Panasonic technical support team are no help whatsoever.

The final annoyance is Panasonic's idea of a 'Menu' button. On the three Panasonic DVD-operating remotes I have (all new products), there's 'Top Menu', 'Function Menu', 'Direct Navigation', 'Menu', 'Home' and 'Pop-up Menu' one of which, you might assume, would lead you to the disc menu. You'd be very wrong. Accessing the disc menu requires several inputs, each of which is different for each remote. On some DVDs, it's totally impossible to access the disc menu and you have to painfully sit there tapping 'next chapter' every time a new trailer loads - any attempt to press 'menu' or too many chapter forward buttons sends you right back to the 'English/English Audio Descriptive' screen and you have to sit through all the 'Warning' screens all over again.

Very annoying then - they do the hard stuff brilliantly, then mess up on the little stuff spectacularly. I may have to fire up my old DVD player just to keep my blood pressure at a manageable level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Is so much more then a blu ray player, 7 Jun. 2012
This is simply a fantastic piece of kit,so easy to set up as i did it in around 20 minutes and was then on the internet.Its stylish and sleek to look at and a breeze to use.I also have a viera tv so am able to use just one remote.The picture is stunning. i cant find fault and i would say if you thinking about purchasing this i would.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for the cash, 31 July 2013
Great product if you already have a panasonic telly. The picture/sound quality is excellent, the controls work on both tv and dvd player, links to the internet directly, if you need it to, and hence all together easier, and there is little point in buying a more expensive one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Blu-ray player for the price!, 21 Oct. 2012
Scott Graham (England, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this back in May 2012 to replace my PS3 Slim which I was no longer using for games. I have it hooked up to my Pioneer LX5090 plasma and the 2 together are amazing!
I now let the Panny do all the upscaling and deinterlacing over my Pioneer!

The biggest thing I noticed was the picture quality over my PS3, it is a big improvement, there is less noise in the picture and has much smoother pans and adds real dimension to the images.
Also in terms of operating noise, you don't have any internal fan like on the PS3 so I don't notice it at all during operation.
DVD's and downloads are looking better than ever and it has played every single file I have fed it (via USB stick), great for torrent playbacks!
Loading times are very good for Java heavy Blu-rays and will happy join up wirelessly for any BD-Live content.
I see some reviewers have had problems with some apps, I don't really use it too much for that so I can't comment but as a playback device it really is good value for money :)