5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny
1.Build
The tv is well built and sturdy, very attractive bezzel and attractive colour. All ports feel sturdy, no flex or move in them. Very Impressed.

2.Sound
Published on 9 Mar 2012 by stephen0205

2.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic tx-l42et5b
I did not buy this tv from Amazon, but from another well known store,
I would advise anyone thinking of buying one, to go for another make, this TV has
dynamic backlight dimming, which means that any dark lit scenes, are automatically
Published 23 months ago by johnny

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, 9 Mar 2012
This review is from: Panasonic TX-L47ET5B 47-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 3D LED TV with Freeview HD - Black (New for 2012) (Electronics)
1.Build

2.Sound
With the different sound modes and the ability to use the inbuilt equalizer which greatly can improve the sound. In most big tvs the on board sound can be tinny or weak. The sound from this tv is pretty awesome.

3.Picture
With the big 47inch 1080p display with a massive contract ratio the picture is so crisp. Using sky hd the image colors are solid. There is no screen bleeding at the edges and the led lit screen provides great brightness and is easy to view in bright rooms. Watching blurays, playing games or whatever your doing on this tv. It will look great.

4. 3d
As for 3d on this tv, ive never been a lover of 3d itself. But the tv does it well. Like most passive 3d tvs it will use light weight 3d glasses. The same ones u use at the cinema, so if u have a pair of those hold onto them, they will work on the tv. If you have the correct equipment for 3d playback then its sweet. The 3d is crisp, and with more and more 3d content becoming available there will be plenty for you to watch.

Great for family movies, or just having loads of friends over

Overall the only thing i didnt like about the tv was the remote, its a standard Panasonic one, and no quick selection options for the picture mode or sound move.

Other than that, 1000000% buy

4.0 out of 5 stars Great TV. But screen reflects like a mirror, 4 Jun 2012
The picture on this TV is fabulous, sound a little bit less than expected in quality so intend buying a sound bar. 3D effects are stunning. Well made as to be expected from Panasonic with plenty of HDMI connections for Sky, DVD and BT. The built in wireless works very well and was easy to set up.
I have two grumbles though. The first is that the screen is so shiny, it is almost like a mirror, so that the reflections in daylight make viewing not very good with too much loss of quality. Also in the dark, it reflects any room lights, even small table lamps so I have had to switch them off and reposition them, which is not the best solution as they were chosen to fit the room.
The second grumble is that the Sky HD box control, when calling up the tv guide, is now very slow. The time lag only appeared with this set and was not there on my previous one that I replaced. It is annoying, even though it is is only several seconds delay. Can't seem to fix this problem.
Otherwise, a very good product, but the grumbles loose it one star.
Peter

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 9 Mar 2012
I bought this before any reviews came out because I wanted a wide viewing angle and LED backlighting. However, I had concerns relating to passive 3D LED TVs.

Edge-lit LED panels can show unpleasant cones of light coming from the LEDs on the bottom edge. Off-axis, blacks can take on a blue hint and passive 3D pictures are poor when the viewer is off the vertical axis. Light-weight sound quality afflicts recent flat panel TVs.

So, how did the TX-L37ET5B do? Well a lot better than I had expected. There were no visible cones regardless of picture, room lighting or viewing angles. Yes, off axis blacks become a pale blue when viewed at extreme angles but for normal angles, black is very dark (frankly, black) and not tinted. The 3D is very sensitive to vertical viewing angle so your eyes really have to be situated close to perpendicular to the screen centre although horizontal angles are very good. Think about this if you are going to wall mount it.

With good source material, pictures can really come to life in 2D and 3D. In 2D, the picture is lively and detailed - stunning on the Avatar Blu Ray. Believe it or not, it's run close on some FreeView HD material though a large number of FreeView HD transmissions aren't that high in image detail.

To me, 3D was a sales gimmick before I got this TV. However, this TV makes a superb job of 3D. Despicable Me is fantastic fun and will have kids and wives screaming and ducking to avoid objects flying out of the TV. I couldn't see any obvious degradation due to the 50% loss of vertical resolution in 3D. Trying Avatar 2D in 2D to 3D mode was interesting but it made a sufficiently good go of this to make it a viable option. Having a big head(!), I found the supplied 3D glasses far too tight but just popped on a pair I got from the Cinema. I've never seen active 3D on TV but this passive 3D appeared comparable to the experience seen in a 3D Cinema.

The sound quality is fine for general viewing but is lacking base even when maxed out. You can wire a separate optical sound feed to your A/V amp that is not affected by the TV volume or mute controls.

The frame is not black but a dark grey surrounded by a clear edge. It's a classy look. The stand is silver so will be dust resistant. The connectors are a wee bit fiddly on the back.

Overall, a stunning effort with only minor flaws - I've never seen a perfect TV. No regrets, I'm glad I went for this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent choice, 26 Oct 2012
After my son returned from university with his aged 40" LCD Samsung television, and kicked out our antique 28" CRT Panasonic, I decided it was time to upgrade. Choice was between the Sony 40" 753 model or the 42" ET5B - the Panasonic won because of the excellence of the 12 year old 28" CRT.
Picture quality ? Excellent on the freeview HD channels, very good on the SD ones.
Sound ? OK-ish from the TV's own speakers, but better to run it through a dedicated 2.1 or 5.1 sound system.
Passive 3D ? Very good - 4 pairs of glasses came with the set.
2D-3D convertor ? Works well, but maybe won't get much use.
Connectivity ? Set is connected direct to home hub via ethernet cable. Can access BBC i-player etc but........although I can see the Web Browser application to give full web access, I haven't a clue how to enable it, and there's nothing in the handbook. I've e-mailed Panasonic twice so far, but have yet to receive a reply.
So, it should have been 5 stars, but reduced to 4 because of the lack of the web browser - why on earth does it not come pre-installed ?
By the way, not purchased from Amazon, but from a store offering a free 5-year warranty, and for £20 less !

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV, 11 Sep 2012
Bought this TV to replace a Panasonic 32" lcd i'de had for about 8 years and was stunned by the increase in picture quality over the older model.
2D is amazing, and 3D just amazes even more, was swayed to the passive 3D as I suffer with migraines and on the occasions i've watched 3D on my brothers active 3D it has triggered an attack due to the "shutter" action of the glasses which I could also see flickering (back in the early days of TV they flickered) so passive was the only choice and to be honest it looks better, clearer and not so dark, and the glasses are ten times cheaper too. the design is simple, it has HDMI, SCART, USB & SD CARD SLOT.
Being a SMART tv it has a "Full Web Browser" unlike some smart tv's which have a limited access to the web, but get yourself a cheap keyboard or better still a wireless keyboard and mouse as you'll be using the remote to navigate web pages and type addresses and it is quite labourious.
Overall i would fully recommend this TV (but shop around for good deals)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!! 47" Panny, 7 Aug 2012
Being a bit of a self confessed geek when it comes to TV's I spent a lot of time researching for a mid range upgrade to my current Toshiba 37" LCD & didn't want to pay over a grand.
Wanting a larger, brighter screen for Sky HD, PS3 Gaming & watching Blu Ray mainly I decided to go for the newer technology LED rather than plasma or LCD.
I am very particular about picture quality over and above anything else so this was really important and with this set I have not been left disappointed.
After setting up I spent a few hours here and there fiddling with the settings to get the picture I wanted.
There are a lot of options on this set, I found the Dynamic setting gave a great picture but created some motion blur due to its enhanced settings so I set everything onto GAME mode, even for watching TV programs.
This setting I have found gives a great vibrant picture with no motion blur at all, I have been watching a lot of the Olympics & a large range of fast moving sports so have tested it well; blacks are deep & whites are bright & all the detail is there & through the integrated HD freeview & the Sky HD the picture is stunning.
Standard def is fine, don't expect HD quality though, as you get used to HD the standard will naturally look poorer anyway but the SD picture is perfectly acceptable through both Sky & freeview.
Sound; at first is poor but there are a lot of settings to adjust this; I set to SPEECH mode upped the Bass & put V-audio surround on & I'm very happy with the sound, in fact I have a surround system but don't need to use it for day to day TV, only games & blu-ray.
3D; this TV uses passive 3D, the same technology as the cinemas; quality here is brilliant & great fun, although not sure how long I could sit watching it for as eyes can take a little bit of adjusting; glasses are really cheap too & you get 4 pairs with the set.
Internet; built in WI-FI connected in seconds, tried Netflix & built in browser & have found it quick & easy to navigate.
Gaming, including online......wow, it has enhanced my gaming experience already; very smooth & vibrant,images are crisp & there is depth to the picture; not tried 3D game yet but will try Arkaham City later!
All in all this is a great looking TV, big screen, thin frame looks the business & for the price your getting a top brand that does everything it says on the tin.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect 37" TV, 30 May 2012
This was my first foray into large screen LED TV land, having lived with a 22" Samsung LED for about a year after a CRT before that. I spent a lot of time researching as I do for most tech items and I can honestly say I think I have the best TV for the money on the market right now. I went for 37" as this seemed the best fit for my 15' square room and sure enough it's the perfect size as I'll explain later.
I would have ordered from Amazon but a local dealer was offering it for £650 with a five year warranty which looked a good deal and I am always nervous about electrical goods being handled by delivery services, especially one this advanced and expensive.
Setting up was simplicity including the stand and because the TV is so light, I could do this unaided. The TV is aesthetically pleasing and looks really stunning. The screen is quite reflective which is apparent only when the sun is streaming through your windows - the picture is still very visible but you can see reflected items in the room bouncing back at you. I must stress this has not been a big issue as I watch most TV in the evening anyway. Positioning the TV properly will help.

Picture
After going through the auto setup routine the first thing I did was switch to channel 50 on Freeview to see how HD terrestrial TV fares. I was knocked out by the quality of the picture and the other three HD channels didn't disappoint. Be warned though: you will begin to resent watching standard definition channels very soon as they now look like 80's VHS in comparison. Having said that, placing yourself a proper distance from the screen will result in very acceptable picture quality on SD - it's just that HD is so good you find yourself drawing close to the TV to immerse yourself. I've found between 9 and 14 feet works best for me.
You will almost certainly need to play with the picture settings, the defaults are either too dark or too bright and garish. Once you have it tweaked the picture looks fabulous. Watching a film, whether broadcast or from DVD, resulted in what appeared to be a video recording. A strange effect that made it look like a news item recorded today and which utterly ruined the filmic look that I love about film. Thankfully this was down to a setting called "Intelligent Frame Creation" which was set to Max. I changed this to Min and it restored filmed material to its rightful look.
The angle of view is outstanding - from either side the picture remains bright and sharp with no noticeable darkening.

TV Guide/Information
I had already read about Panasonic's inability to produce a guide that didn't shut off the channel you were watching when activated so I wasn't surprised to find this TV was no different. But it still mystifies me why they can't sort this out, my Samsung has no trouble showing the EPG with the channel continuing in a small window with sound. The guide itself is very well laid out and clear even from some distance.
You can select an information panel with the remote that doesn't interfere with the picture and sound and can show you now and next for the current channel. This is also customisable in terms of seconds on screen which is very useful.

Sound
The sound isn't going to win any awards for deep bassiness but for everyday use I'd say it's very good and at high settings quite loud and clear.

3D
I can't comment on the 3D quality of source material as I don't own a Bluray (yet) or play computer games. I've read the BBC are planning some limited 3D broadcasting from the Olympic Games so will be able to test it then. The simulated 2D to 3D effect is quite good though especially on HD broadcasts and the included glasses are very light and virtually unnoticeable on your head. I didn't really buy the TV for 3D so this is not a great deal for me.

Internet (Viera Connect)
One of the many reasons for choosing this set was the built-in WiFi - I didn't want to be messing around with dongles, especially expensive dongles. It works a treat using the built-in apps that include iPlayer, YouTube, Netflix, Facebook, Twitter and a few others I'll likely not use. I was disappointed that LoveFilm is not there since I have a subscription and have no desire to watch films on a computer screen. I tried iPlayer and was very impressed by how easy it was to use and the stunning picture quality when HD options are chosen.

Icing on the cake
I found out there was an app from Panasonic called Viera Remote which turns your smartphone into a remote control. I downloaded this free app to my Galaxy S2 and sure enough it allows me to use my phone as a remote control which is impressive enough. What blew my socks off was the fact that I can play videos, music, photos from my phone through the TV over the WiFi network with no lag and stunning quality. HD videos look amazing though there does seem a problem with the ability to stream HD video recorded by the phone which I am looking into (HD video downloaded from YouTube works fine). Photos are displayed as a slide show with overlaid cheesy jazz music which you can thankfully turn down or off.

The only shortcoming for me is the lack of a timer to switch the TV on at a predetermined time which again my Samsung achieves effortlessly. I am used to using the TV as my alarm clock but this one has no such option, merely allowing a timer event to be set so the TV outputs a signal for an external recorder to use.

I would heartily recommend this TV and am very glad I chose it. I would love to give it 5 stars but the guide problem and lack of `on' timer are just irritating enough to knock one star off.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent picture but needs tweaking on dark images, 29 Jun 2012
John Boy (Bristol United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Summary
In most cases the picture is very good in daylight, but it doesn't handle some dark scenes - the opening scenes in The Matrix for example - as well as it might in a darkened room and, initially it over-emphasised green if the scene has large areas of vegetation. Music is best played through an external system but setting to emphasise speech setting works well. That said, it's a good buy and worthy of 4.5 stars.

Set-up
We've had a very good 4:3 CRT television for the last 18 years and, I've had security concerns about Wi-Fi since its inception, so buying this smart television was new ground. I needn't have worried as it quickly found and stored the TV and radio channels, and just as easily linked via Wi-Fi to my internet router. The television comes with a SCART to HDMI adaptor to connect a VCR or other equipment that has a SCART but not an HDMI socket. That still leaves three HDMI sockets for a PVR and DVD player. Music, video, and photos can also be played via the three USB and one SC card ports. It has Wi-Fi Direct which I find useful for connecting to my Galaxy Tab 2 tablet, as the USB connection from the tablet to the TV is not recognised by the TV and the tablet.

Picture - UPDATE 1
The 2D viewing angles are as good as a CRT, whether viewing from the side, standing, or lying on the floor watching a Pilates or yoga DVD. Contrast automatic adjustment works well in daylight lit rooms, and standard definition pictures are up-scaled competently. With the "Intelligent Frame Creation" set to Mid, I can't detect blurring in Formula 1, Wimbledon, and camera horizontal panning. Films on television or from a standard definition PVR where the background is dark can be murky and large areas of grass or trees can be un-naturally green. Initially I used the "Picture / Advanced" setting to change the gamma from the the default 2.2 to 2, but increasing the brightness to around 75% (no onscreen scale) seems to help. The contrast automatic adjustment ("CATS") does a good job in a daylit room, but at night time in a softly lit room it may need to be turned off unless the lighting is almost off. Changing the picture setting from Normal to Cinema can also help. There is an energy saving setting that limits the screen brightness, and this may also need to be turned off. The Disney World of Wonder Blu-Ray was useful to adjust the picture. Panasonic issued a firmware update in September 2012 that erased all of my adjustments so it's back to tweaking once more.

Picture - UPDATE 2 27 November 2013
I installed the latest software / firmware update (1266-10402) and the picture resolution, contrast and brightness have improved. It even retained my settings.

I have a HUMAX standard definition PVR with SCART and HDMI outputs. Although I normally use the HDMI output for recorded programmes, I've found that the SCART output works better for dark scenes in Homeland. The downside is that the colour can be marginally washed-out, and the image can be slightly blurred if I'm sat less than two metres from the screen.

Sound
The sound settings can emphasise speech through the television speakers, and I've found that works well although I have tinnitus in one ear. Music is best played through external equipment. This can be via the 3.5mm stereo headphone socket or an optical link for surround sound.

Internet
BBC's iPlayer works well, but in common with other Smart TVs, 4OD and other commercial television platforms are not available. There is a web browser but using a computer is a better option than clicking through the television on screen keyboard. Apparently the Vivanco Bazoo wireless keyboard is compatible with the television; perhaps Panasonic will issue a list of compatible wireless keyboards. The firmware update from the Internet downloaded and installed without a problem.

The Panasonic YouTube app is good as videos load in full screen 720p with the controls off screen until the OK button is pushed. There is a slight downside in that the content is for the UK and Ireland so some music videos aren't available, whereas my Panasonic BDT220 Blu-Ray player Panasonic DMP-BDT220EB Smart Network 3D Blu-ray Player - Black (New for 2012) is set for worldwide but the YouTube app plays videos with the video menu on one half of the screen and the playback on the other half. I assume that Panasonic have the content loaded on their own servers, as the playback of videos from the ViPR section of YouTube is smooth, whereas they can stutter when played back on the computer via the same router.

The web browser will select sites such as Yoga Journal but won't run the vieo links on that site.

3D
The BBC's test 3D transmission of Wimbeldon 2012 gave a really good impression of the speed of the ball, but I wouldn't watch 3D television in place of a 2D transmission. The Avatar DVD in up-scaled 2D through the Panasonic BDT220 Blu-Ray player was so good that it wasn't necessary to do a 2D to 3D conversion.

Other features (UPDATED)
Although other Viera models can record to an external USB hard drive of 160GB to 2 TB, that isn't the case with this model. I had conflicting advice from the local dealer and Panasonic support, but the Panasonic video on You Tube "How To Use DLNA And External HDD On Your Viera TV" gives the impression that all Viera models can record to a USB hard drive. I bought a 500GB Buffalo MiniStation from Amazon and plugged it into USB port 1 on the television; the television recognised the hard drive and gave the options to play back music, video, or still pictures. However there isn't an option in the Setup menu to format the hard drive and set it up for recording; run the Panasonic video to see what I mean. It would be easy for Panasonic to issue a firmware upgrade to do this, and if necessary I'd be prepared to format the hard drive with a Linux partition, but no joy at the moment.

I've just started using the set to display jpeg photos from a memory stick, and I've been surprised at the quality, even from an old 3 megapixel camera. I have tried it with some 32MB tiffs but not surprisingly it doesn't recognise them.

Energy
This A rated set takes 0.3 watts in standby which is just as well, as the on/off button is on the back of the set, and that only reduces consumption to 0.28 watts. Amazon states that it is rated as A+ but Panasonic label it as A.

2.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic tx-l42et5b, 4 Jan 2013
I did not buy this tv from Amazon, but from another well known store,
dimmed further, which makes the picture so dark, you cant see anything,Strangely, if you push the volume control, it brightens up for a few seconds,
The only way out of this, is to go into " true colour" this then halts the problem,
but you are stuck with true colour forever.
I thinbk this a very serious backwood step for Panasonic, as I don't see any way of swithching the dynamic backlight dimming feature off.I want a TV that I control.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, a massive improvement on my LCD TV, 1 Dec 2012
S. J. Rose (London Uk) - See all my reviews
Really impressed by the picture quality straight from the box, especially compared to my old Samsung 40" LE40 LCD TV bought 5 years ago. There is a massive improvement in contrast, colour range, and detail, no doubt attributed to the IPS panel.
High definition video looks amazing, there's really good clarity and detail even in dark scenes. The black level is good, even in a dark living room, the black is very dark and there is no light bleeding at the edge of the panel, impressive.
I was also quite impressed on how natural and realistic the picture is, it really is convincing. The motion processing makes video more life-like, fluid and real by making extra frames to smooth the movement. However, this can be disconcerting, especially when old films look more like modern digital video. It can be a strange effect, but probably more realistic motion and I guess this would be good for sports. You can adjust the motion processing as you like it.
3D works effectively, glasses are pretty comfortable, and even from a few meters away, the effect is convincing.
The TV is packed with extra features such as internet, wi-fi, SD card slot, 2D to 3D conversion, video recording etc, I will probably never use any of these since I have a dedicated PC connected through HDMI, but it could be useful all the same.
Above all I would recommend this TV, I could have bought a cheaper and slightly larger Toshiba or Samsung for the same money, but I am happier with the picture quality of this set.