Top positive review
470 people found this helpful
on 18 April 2012
I've had this television for a fortnight now and have hammered it to see how it performs - and it is a superb telly!!
Prior to buying it, I spent a lot of time wandering around Curry's/Dixons/Comet etc looking for a (non 3D) t.v. with a knockout picture and this was the one that stood out.
So I checked out all the features and it soon became clear that the features packed into it were above and beyond any other tv at this price, so after one more trip to curry's to check out the sound, i bought it!
I've not been disappointed.
1) Freeview HD picture quality is outstanding. I got the tv on the weekend of the US Masters golf and even though i don't like golf, i found myself glued to it because of how good it looked. It is a very leafy golf course and the details on the trees in the distance was brilliant, and you could actually see the ball flying through the air!! I've since watched the Chinese Grand Prix (again, i don't even like formula 1) and the FA cup semi final (Chelsea-Spurs) both in HD and they were both perfect. To me, the Freeview HD on this telly is like looking through a window, it is that clear.
2) Standard definition Freeview is also excellent. I have an 18 month old daughter, so we watch a lot of cbeebies!! In the night garden in particular is a show with loads of bright colours and they show up incredibly well defined.
3) The SCART socket. I have Sky+ (not HD) and initially, when i hooked up my scart lead to the supplied adapter, the picture quality was awful - there was terrible interference from the built-in freeview channels. This was most apparent if the freeview channels had text-heavy programmes such as news channels - if you left one of the many shopping channels on and turned to the sky feed, you could clearly see all the details of the products being sold and for what price in the background of the sky programme! A quick look at google made me realise it was my cheapo scart lead that was the problem, so I ordered a fully insulated cable with metal heads for about 7 quid (from amazon) and bingo, its all sorted!! Not HD-standard obviously, but very clear SD which is fine by me.
4) The HDMI connections allow me to connect my laptop to it. My laptop has a HD screen, but when its hooked to this telly, the picture is so much better that now it is difficult to use the laptop without the Panasonic screen anymore because the difference is so great!
5) My dvd collection has had a lick of paint as well. I got a Panasonic Blu-ray player to go with the tv, and tested it with my star wars dvds. Lots of black and white space scenes, and lots of fast action and explosions, and the tv handled it brilliantly. Awesome stuff.
6) The SD card slot makes pictures from our camera look out of this world! The slideshow mode looks fantastic and way better than any digital frame I have ever seen.
7) The smart tv works very smoothly. I have it linked up via the ethernet socket, and it works very quickly and easily. There is a very good list of apps included (bbc iplayer works very well) and the layout is very nice too.
8) The sound quality is perfectly acceptable. You know with this kind of tv that the speakers are only going to be small and not so powerful, so you just have to accept this or buy external speakers. However, they do do a job and i won't be losing any sleep over them because they are good enough for me.
I hope thats covered eveything - it is a tremendous television, is an excellent addition to our living room and i highly recommend it!!