5.0 out of 5 stars Great!
Bought this Panasonic TX-P42ST50B (the 42" version) as a replacement for my six year old Panasonic 32" LCD which I've now moved to a new location. Always tend to stick to brands that I am familiar with, and as a bit of a Panasonic fan, had been waiting for their 2012 models and delighted with the new, much smaller "Samsung-esque" thin edges and crystal frame...
Published 23 months ago by N Potter

Published 15 months ago by J Chapman

2.0 out of 5 stars UPDATED: Image Burn has developed leading to it being returned, 21 Jan 2013
UPDATE: Unfortunately, after about 10 months, despite the features to prevent it being turned on, the set developed a severe image burn problem with various channel logos becoming persistent and easily visible on lighter backgrounds. Cannot fault Amazon though, immediately agreed to collect it and provide a full refund - I have since replaced it with the TX-L47ET60B LED model. It's a real shame as it was a fantastic TV until this problem, but, again, thanks to Amazon for resolving without issue

Original review as follows:

Ordered at 10pm on Thursday, delivered at 7:15am on Saturday - great service by CityLink

This TV was purchased to replace a 32" Sony LCD in our new home, and it was with slight trepidation that I opened it - even though I'd measured the space and knew it would fit, the box was as wide as a two seater sofa, and not much of that width was excess packaging... But fit it did, and easily too, so with a mopped brow and a heartrate approaching normal again, I went about setting it up.

I'd put some research into selecting our new TV, initially looking at LED models, and came across this purely by accident - having clicked on it thinking I was looking at an LED model. My memory of plasma models from a few years back was excellent picture quality, but bulky, power hungry units prone to image burn. Well, how wrong was I? This unit is thinner than the LCD it's replacing, and around the same as most LED models, we all know image burn is a thing of the past, and power consumption is vastly improved (though not to LED levels). I was impressed before I'd even switched the thing on.

Connected it to the aerial, plugged my Sky+HD box, Blu-Ray player and Xbox 360 int the three HDMI sockets, and plugged in the Ethernet cable (not actually required as the TV has built in Wi-Fi, but I had a cable there for the Sony), switched on and went through the very simple setup procedure, to be presented with BBC One like I'd never seen it before - stunning! And in SD too. SD never really looks great since the old CRT days, but this TV does an excellent job with it, so have no complaints there.

Moving on to the Freeview HD channels, the improvement between this and the Sony set were as different as night and day. Everything looked so much richer, with a better depth of colour. Having read a number of reviews, all of which recommended 'True Cinema' for the picture mode, with all the additional processing features turned off, I tried this out for a while, but to my eye, 'Cinema' looked better - using Sky Sports News HD as a test, the white's and blue's just looked better. But each to their own of course.

Tested out the BBC iPlayer in HD using an episode of Africa and could see no discernible difference between the same episode being played back on the Sky+HD box - very, very impressive!

One big advantage of this set for me is I no longer need a separate media streamer - I have a large library of films and TV shows on a DLNA ready NAS on my home network, and the TV picked everything up and played it, bar some ISO images which I'll just convert. Removing a remote from the collection was very welcome...

For Blu-Ray, I have an old Sony BDP-S350 player (will be replacing this with a Panasonic 3D model in due course) and tested it out with the Star Trek film from a few years back - chose this as I wanted something with a lot of black in it, as that's the colour best used for bench marking a TV. Once again, the TV shone, the picture was perfect and the blacks were so very black. This is one of the advantages a plasma will have over an LED/LCD model.

Also tested with the Xbox 360, switching the screen to Game mode, and could see no lag at all. Playing Halo 4 on a screen like this really was some experience.

Sound is something that all flat screen TV's will fall down on, they just don't have the space for big speakers like CRT's did, but I have to say the sound on the TV was surprisingly good - certainly wasn't tinny or flat. Lacked a little bass, and some top end clarity, but it's perfectly acceptable for standard use. Purists will of course connect this to a home cinema set up, and it has both optical out and an ARC compatible HDMI socket, and those looking for something in between will probably go for a soundbar, but it's still pretty decent.

I haven't tested anything in 3D yet, am still waiting for the free glasses to turn up, but given how well this TV does everything else, I'm sure I'll be just as impressed by that.

Overall, this is a truly excellent TV, and for anyone looking at buying a 42" set I would look no further than this

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful image quality, 26 April 2013
I read a review praising the picture quality, especially the deep blacks, of this television. Finally I bought one while the offer of two pairs of 3-D glasses was on ... and I have not been disappointed. The picture is great and the surround is quietly classy. For the first one I paid 723. When I saw a warehouse deal and a promotional discount I decided to get a second one for my bedroom, without the glasses, for 'only' 562. OK it's still quite a lot for telly but it's a Panasonic plasma telly with 3D and Internet, if I ever use those. To put this in perspective, the combined price is about what we paid for a fancy 32-inch Philips 14 years ago. For the two tellies that's over three times the screen area for a lot less money in real terms. One small point, there is a very small on-off switch on the edge of the TV which is easily missed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Confirming that the Samsung 3D glasses work, 7 Mar 2013
It's been mentioned that the Samsung glasses work with Panasonic TVs - and I've also seen comments that some people buying other Panasonic TVs tried them and they didn't work. I took the gamble and it paid off: the Samsung 3D glasses do work with this TV http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007ITXYM2/

Hyper-Fi phoned to confirm delivery arrangements - very friendly and helpful, and amazingly fast delivery.

The TV arrived on a crate at my work and I used the works van to get it home (as expected).

The TV was reasonably easy to put together with the help of a 12 year old and a philips screwdriver.
It looks robust and (being plasma) doesn't flex or risk dead pixels/rows/columns.
Without connecting anything physical, I turned on the TV, pressed the Internet button, gave it the key to my WiFi and was watching Top Gear on iPlayer in seconds.

Attaching a Panasonic 3D BluRay player with the Samsung 3D glasses gave me my first taste of 3D - so I can't compare it to other sets - only say that Prometheus (movie) felt very different to watch than 2D TV: it's much more like 'being there' and with a screen this size, being involved is easy.

The only strange thing in getting used to a TV this big is that when someone else is watching it and they show scenery scanning past, people in the same room that aren't watching it feel like the room is pulling away from a train-station!

I'll be building a table for it 1ft high with a couple of shelves for baskets of disks and for players/xBox etc. It'll be the right height then (without the need for wall-mounting) for viewing from a sofa.

So TV, Seller and Price all recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Would have been 5 stars BUT!, 6 Mar 2013
J. Deans (Mablethorpe) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Panasonic TX-P50ST50B 50-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 3D Plasma TV with Freeview and Smart Viera - Dark Grey (Electronics)
Absolutely fantastic Plasma TV. A few niggly bits but as a complete package well pleased. My only real criticism is the poor software support for the USB connections (hence 4 stars when I wanted to give it 5). Some file extensions (AVI, MKV) etc don't work. It seems to be dependent on the software used to create bluray and dvd rips. MP4's are a big no no for the most part. If you intend using your computer or an external player for these files then you will have the best of at least two worlds. If you will be depending solely on the Pana's USB's then your viewing experience with these files will be limited. Some files judder when you are watching them and some are so bad they are unwatchable. I would say this has applied to about 40% of what I have been watching. However, the picture quality is stunning for the TV itself and you can record Freeview to an external hard drive and watch it at your leisure. Recommended to anyone after days of research but be aware of the issue with USB. If that is the main reason your buying the set (and it shouldn't be) then it might be best to look at a Samsung who provide better software support. I plan on getting a Samsung Home Cinema so I will then get the best of both worlds. Fantastic picture quality with the Pana and Fantastic software support with Samsung. Works for me and hope this helps!

4.0 out of 5 stars Shame! (updated), 26 July 2013
I would like to inform you that my new (barely a month-and-a-bit old) 'Panasonic TX-P50ST50B 50-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 3D Plasma TV with Freeview and Smart Viera - Dark Grey' has crashed twice in the last two days whilst watching normal built-in Freeview.

I am NOT pleased.

The screen becomes heavily pixelated with a multitude of random colours and freezes, it's accompanied by a loud BUZZ noise. The TV then had to be turned off by the plug socket as the remote and even the TV's power button become unresponsive. The TV's software is up to date.

I'm truly disappointed and have had to request a full refund on return.

Next to try the Samsung. Joy!

Update:

I have manually (wireless did not detect newer firmware) updated the firmware to version 1.165 (from 1.163) and will see if this makes any difference before I decide to return. This update claims to 'improve' the EPG/built-in Freeview which I hope was the problem. Keep you posted!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Great Plasma Tv., 19 July 2013
I bought this tv from amazon uk, i ordered a different panasonic plasma and i was adviced to go for this as upgrade by the seller after using LG Plasma for 8years with no problems, i tell you, this is the best plasma as far as i'm concern, so beautiful and full of gadgets probably slimmest ever,the sound is amazing,so unbelievable, the pictures is so crisp. Very easy to set up too, i recommend this to my friends and family because its a lot of Telly for the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but wireless connection still not working!!, 2 Sep 2012
This is without great a great TV and well worth the investment. The reviews didn't lie and I can find no fault bar one which I will come to.

The picture is so crisp and definition on HD is excellent. Watching sport in particular is a real pleasure.

Easy to set up.

Only one issue at the moment which is connecting wirelessly and the frustrating thing is waiting for Panasonic to answer an email after a week or on Friday the telephone after 8 minutes being left waiting for someone to answer a phone ringing of it's hook...!

I am sure I will resolve this but disappointing it takes all this effort to sort out.

3.0 out of 5 stars second one sent was OK, 8 July 2013
first one I received had been dropped and had to be replaced. The process of replacement could not be easier and was an easy and effective process.
However I also bought a Panasonic 3D DVD player which had to be sent back because it would not play 3D DSVS all the way through, then the second one was exactly the same and this is going back
What is going on with Panasonic?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tv ,a couple of points, 24 Sep 2012
D. James (sw france) - See all my reviews
Agree with the reviews,but would make a couple of points,the screen anti reflection ,i have the tv sited opposite some french windows,(only place for wall mounting)
the picture holds up well in this position,ie clear sharp image,but the reflection from the window is such that you can see detail of this on the screen ,having read the Panasonic blurb i expected a better result,a small point but worth making.
Have not had much time to play with the settings,but the cinema setting seems very dull,if any one has some advice re this would appreciate it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing TV, 17 Mar 2013
Was a bit hesitant about getting a plasma TV as I've always had LCD TV. As it turns out that I was wrong to be hesitant.

Out the box the first thing you notice is the thinness of the panel, the TV is about a third of the thickness of my old Samsung LCD TV and a lot lighter. Getting it out the box was a piece of cake the stand was easy to put together and it was simple to secure the panel to the stand, you really need 2 people to lift panel out of box as it is quite large.

Turn the TV on and it goes through auto set up searching for Freeview channels, connecting to wifi, signing up to the Panasonic App Store etc.

Connected Virgin TiVo box and went to HD channels and all I can say is wow it's like being on set watching the programmes being made very natural colours and sound have tweaked settings a bit to get a bit more brightness.

Also bought the Panasonic BT290 3D Blueray 5.1 Cinema System which takes sound to new levels of greatness.

Not tried 3D yet as I'm waiting for these coming. None supplied tin TV but Panasonic have offer on via their website for 2 free pairs if you buy a 2012 TV before 31 March 2013.

ARRAY(0xa718e4e0)