4.0 out of 5 stars To Mate or Not to Mate?
Every Changeling longs for the gift of a mating bond, to know that their partner is theirs completely for life. Except for SnowDancer wolves Riaz and Adria. Lieutenant Riaz has found his mate, but she's married - happily - to someone else. While Senior Soldier Adria has had her heart broken so badly she doubts she'll ever trust a man again.

Having both returned...
Published on 8 Jun 2012 by Book Gannet

3.0 out of 5 stars Honestly......slightly disapointing
To be honest I was expecting more from this book, especially when I read the summary, but to be honest the 'main' two character's story was overshadowed by just about EVERYTHING else.

Published on 2 July 2012 by Alia

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars To Mate or Not to Mate?, 8 Jun 2012
Book Gannet (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Tangle of Need: The Psy-Changeling Series (Kindle Edition)

Having both returned to the SnowDancer den to lick their wounds, the last thing they want is to get involved with each other. Except the attraction between them is so strong, and all wolves need to touch...

The Psy-Changeling series is back for its eleventh instalment, continuing the recent focus on the wolves. Riaz is a gorgeous lone wolf, charming, smart and dominant, but best known for going his own way. Adria is a dominant female with strong nurturing instincts, but is emotionally battered and heart-worn. Though they frequently snap and snarl at each other, there's no denying their chemistry - or their ability to heal each other. Whatever else is going on with their hearts, they make a dynamic pair.

But this story isn't just about them. There's a lot of Hawke and Sienna scenes as we see how they're coping after the events of Kiss of Snow, while the intriguing Psy Councillor, Kaleb, also gets a fair chunk of story as his mysterious search draws towards its end. We also see more of the Arrows, Aden and Vasic, as they try to deal with the deepening fractures in the Psynet. And those are just the main side plots - there are plenty more appearances from old characters, but the Riley and Mercy scenes are my favourites.

With civil war on the Psynet growing ever closer, this book felt more like it was laying the foundations for future conflicts, than settling anything new. Danger threatens on several fronts, but very little is actually resolved, despite so much going on.

Packed with further character developments and world-building, at times Riaz and Adria were almost lost beneath the weight of everything else. Yet their story is important in terms of what happens when Changeling relationships don't go quite as expected. Even though at times their emotional conflict did verge on growing repetitive, there's enough heat and tenderness to put them on a par with others in the series - if they hadn't had to share so much space with everyone else.

A solid continuation to this excellent series, bridging the gap between the old story arc and the new, I can't wait to find out where it all goes next.

4.0 out of 5 stars worth reading, 17 Jun 2012
A. Walsh "AliW" (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
I like all of Nalini Singh's books, and this one included. However, unlike others of the series this one was a book that I could put down and pick up again later. I agree with one of the other reviewers that something was missing. While I love reading about all of the characters from the other books, in this book I felt that the story of Riaz and Adria at times took a back seat to everything else that was going on. But irrespective of this it is a good read and worth the price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Honestly......slightly disapointing, 2 July 2012
This review is from: Tangle of Need: The Psy-Changeling Series (Kindle Edition)

On top of that, the whole 'mating bond' concept (i.e causes, reason, ect) seemed badly developed and just a way to justify the character's plot line (Riaz feels bad for liking Adria etc...). It just didn't seem plausible or believable (and yes, I am aware this is under the category 'fiction'.

Hawke and Sienna had more screen time (pardon the expression) than the main couple, and it would have been okay if the book had been advertised as their second book or something along those lines.....but it was not...

All in all, I was disappointed; this book is definitely not on the same level as the first books.

Still....I'll be reading the next one!

4.0 out of 5 stars It's Nalini Singh so I like it ... but ... it's lacking a certain something, 7 Jun 2012
This review is from: Tangle of Need: The Psy-Changeling Series (Kindle Edition)
I wish I could give this 3.5 stars rather than 4. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE Nalini Singh both this series and her Angels series,I believe completely in her characters and her world. BUT (and it is a big one) somehow this book feels like a fill-in, where the author is just biding her time and getting the story arc together for the next book.

Quick summary - we see Riaz (first seen in Play of Passion) and Adria (Indigo's sister - snape) as the central pair. We also see a lot of Hawke and Sienna (a LOT) and some of Brenna and Judd (quite a lot of 'some') and Drew and Indigo AND Mercy and Riley (and no, I'm giving NO spoilers about any news aboutany of them). While it's lovely to catch up on other members of the packs, we did see a lot (really, a LOT) of the other couples - almost more than the so-called 'central' couple.
This is part of the problem.

There is also the rather splintered story line with the fall of the Psynet: you have Kaleb chasing someone (a 'her' but it's all very mysterious and, to be honest, a bit clumsy); you have Kaleb plotting (again, all very mysterious); you have Ming plotting to get Sienna (more of this later); you have your Pure Psy (again, more later); you have your Human Alliance. It's the weaving together of these story arcs and all the couples that just makes the whole book seem very fragmented - nothing seems completely 'together'.

At the end of the last book Ming seemed to be the eminence grise controlling Henry Scott's grab for power ... now he's totally fixated on Sierra, plots to grab her and then ... he's got rid of but he's swearing revenge. Given the build up of suspense in earlier sections of the book about this, it's all very sudden and rather simplistic.

The whole story arc that started earlier on in the series (Bonds of Justice)with Kaleb looking for someone (personally I suspect it's Alice that he's looking for) is, again, all too mysterious and too unlinked with anything else that happens in the book - which makes it seem like a bolt on and a bit clumsy.

The Pure Psy - in the last book controlled by Henry Scott (and therefore possibly Ming), now controlled by a supposedly dead ex-Arrow who (again supposedly) reports to Scott ... who are now trying to destroy the Psynet by killing anchors - a new designation (A) hinted at in Bonds of Justice (and other books) - but never given a designation of their own. Apparently the Net collapses if the anchors disappear... Hmm...

Again, I love Nalini Singh - her books are autobuys for me - but this feels too disjointed, too bitty and there are some interesting continuity blips... In Play of Passion, Adria is mated but this book doesn't refer to her breaking a mating bond, it does talk about the death of a relationship, but not the breaking of a mating bond. This seems odd. Early books in this series imply that the mating bond is permanent and unavoidable ... now we find out that the mating bond is always the woman's choice and it is a choice. So either side can walk away from it. Again... hmmm... (nope, not giving any spoilers)

So ...
Is the central pairing a good one? Yes
Did I enjoy reading it? Yes
Is it as good as others in the series? No
Major flaw? bitty - doesn't hang together as a whole

3.0 out of 5 stars THANK YOU local library! 3.5 stars, 13 July 2012
StarPlayer (B'ham England) - See all my reviews
This review will probably be littered with spoilers ....... so if you don't want to know - dont read...

I enjoyed ToN. In my opinion it was much better than KoS. I enjoyed everything about it EXCEPT the supposedly main romance between Riaz & Adria. I confess that I started to skim/skip their bits of the story. I enjoyed Hawk & Sienna (though it did start to get a bit cloying) in this book way more than in KOS.

As for the fiasco about the MATING BOND, I've decided to ignore that bit as well. I mean, one of the main reasons that I so loved this series and bought the first 9 books is because of the mating bond. Just like there's been no mention of Tally (Tasmin) again I'm hoping that this foolishness will not be mentioned in future books. It will be forgot.

I'm hoping that we'll see some of the Forgotten Psy in future books.

As for Sienna, reading Kiss of Snow I thought she was 21. But now having read Tangle of Need it kinda says on page 199 that she's lived for 19 years - a bit too much of an age difference for me between Sienna and Hawk.

All in all, not much romance but I loved seeing the other 'cast' members. I also 'heart' Judd. I liked it enough that I MAY buy the paperback edition when it comes out (maybe).

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the best, 16 Jun 2012
Overall, Tangle of Need is a good, enjoyable read. The writing is good (as always with Singh), the ongoing plots and the new and old characters were all great, but the book does have some very noticeable flaws. The main couple was weak, especially compared to previous couples, and their story added nothing new or interesting to the series.

For me, Adria and Riaz were never a particularly interesting set of characters, and as a couple they failed to set the pages on fire. They were pretty much delegated to being side characters, especially in the first half of the book, and when we finally do see more of them, it is too late. The main problem with Adria and Riaz is not the comparatively small number of pages, but the fact that they were an uninteresting and unengaging couple and their plot was CONSISTENTLY the least interesting part of the book and it felt like their story was only vaguely connected with the important plot developments taking place. Their story felt weak and disjointed from everything else, and convinced me that this book is nothing more than filler.

Frankly, Adria and Riaz were not bad as a couple or as individual characters, albeit everything they do we have seen before and better in previous installments of the series, but their story would have been better told as a novella or short story. There simply isn't enough in Adria and Riaz's story to sustain the approximately 200 pages they were allotted in Tangle of Need.

A part of the issue with Adria and Riaz s that they are dull, unengaging and unimaginative. We've seen everything before and nothing new or interesting is added to the mix. Riaz is a boring, one-dimensional character, and can pretty much be described as a lesser copy of Hawke (with the exact same issues). Adria had the emotional maturity of a 14-year old after her first break-up (I swear, I kept hearing Christina Perri's "Jar of Hearts" in the background). We were constantly told that Adria was a strong woman recovering from a bad relationship, but all we saw was an incredibly NEEDY woman, doing incredibly STUPID things even after she acknowledged they might be stupid things to do. This left me with very little sympathy for her (largely self-inflicted) emotional issues.

Tangle of Need really does feel like a lesser version of previous books (especially Kiss of Snow), and the actual romance in the book is pretty tame and forgettable.

But there are some good points in this book, noticeably the plots and the characters. Singh is obviously paving the way for future books by introducing new (or semi-new) characters and gives us glimpses of intriguing plots to match. While all the name-dropping can be a bit hard to keep a track of at first, the characters are entertaining and it is great to see old characters, like Mercy and Riley, again. The Psy civil war, Aden, Vasic, Judd, Kaleb, Ming and Henry take up quite a bit of the book and these parts are by far the most intense, exciting and engaging in the book. Several times while reading the book, I wished the story focused on the Psy civil war, rather than Adria and Riaz.

Overall, the book was entertaining and had some great plot developments, but is by far one of the weakest installments of the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tangle of Need, 14 Jun 2012
This review is from: Tangle of Need: The Psy-Changeling Series (Kindle Edition)
Ok, I loved this book. It wasn't as action packed as Kiss of Snow but it did deal with the fall out of the book. At times this one felt as if it was Hawke & Sienna part 2, rather than Riaz & Adria but that was ok with me as Hawke is in my top five favourite literary males.

The reason why I loved this book so much is the fact that it dealt with lots of intricacies of pack life and the different roles each member has. There is so much more to the Changelings than being an Alpha, Beta, Submissive, Maternal and I really felt that this book explained so much of that. I have a larger understanding of the world now and the addition of the 'Cast of Characters' at the beginning of the book is extremely welcome!

As far as plot development goes there wasn't as much in this one but I do feel as if it's building to something huge and I can't wait to see what happens next :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love always finds a way!, 13 Jun 2012
This review is from: Tangle of Need: The Psy-Changeling Series (Kindle Edition)
This latest in the Psy-Changeling series lives up to the rest. After the explosive mating of Wolf Alpha Hawke and Psy Sienna, Nalini Singh opened the way to allow those pack members not having found their 'mate' to still have a rewarding, passionate and loving stable relationship. I was a little disappointed that even though Riaz had not had the mating bond snap into place with his lost love, unlike Hawke he was not allowed to have a second chance of the bond with Adria. Nonetheless it was a good story and the glimpses of Hawke and Sienna were delightful, the progression of their story within the broader context of Riaz and Adria was good to read.

Other news (which I won't spoil for those who've not yet read it) was great too and I hope we hear more of that in the new books.

All in all another great tale from Nalini Singh and well worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a treat, 9 Jun 2012
E. A. De Jong (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
*sigh* as usual for me, finishing a Psy/changeling novel is bittersweet, you can't put it down and when you finish it all you want is go back into that world. Another great story from the amazing imagination of Nalini Singh. Even after 10 books in the series she finds another great angle and plot that keeps you glued to the pages. The main love story was original in the Changeling world and so very believable. We revisit Hawke and Sienna and their very new and fragile mating bond (i love it when we revisit other couples and Hawke and Sienna got some serious page time). We see the 'baddies' up to no good in a new way than before.
There is a lot going on in this book but unlike other books where it sometimes gets too much, it didn't bother me at all and I soaked it up like a sponge.

I want this series to go on FOREVER!!! When's the next one due Nalini??

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great addition to the series, 8 Jun 2012
This review is from: Tangle of Need: The Psy-Changeling Series (Kindle Edition)
This story revolved around the relationship between Riaz and Adria but also allowed us to catch up with other much loved characters. I enjoyed it as much as all the others and didn't feel this detracted from spirit of the series.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›