5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars for Jeffty
This anthology would rate 5 stars for the fabulous 'Jeffty is Five' alone, even if every other story was unremitting piffle.

Published on 7 Oct. 2007 by Michael Cope

I've had to take a break from this for a while, as I'm finding it very hard going.

Published 6 months ago by Mistress Vanilla

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars for Jeffty, 7 Oct. 2007
Michael Cope (Staffordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shatterday (Hardcover)

Whereas many authors would take a solid-gold idea like 'Jeffty'and churn out 600 pages of bloated, overblown sentimental drivel, it's surprising, on re-reading, how short the story is. Years after reading it for the first time, its resonance is such that one remembers it being much longer.

Rather like Bill Bryson's 'The Life and Times of The Thunderbolt Kid', 'Jeffty is Five' has the ability to make you nostalgic for a time you have never experienced.

It may well be the best story that Ellison has ever committed to print.

A good film version could mop up every Oscar going, but the famously prickly Ellison would probably eviscerate any director who came near it. Who could blame him? 'Jeffty is Five' is perfect, a master class in short story writing. Buy 'Shatterday' for that, and then marvel at how wonderful stories such as 'Count The Clock That Tells The Time' and 'All The Lies That Are My Life' pale in its shadow.

Mike Cope, 7 October 2007

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great collection of stories from Harlan Ellison and I do ..., 12 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Shatterday (Paperback)
What a great collection of stories from Harlan Ellison and I do the love introductions he does for each story as I find it very interesting to know where he gets his ideas from, it's nice to finally be able to get hold of his work at a reasonable price as I have struggled in the past to pick up his work at a decent price.

2.0 out of 5 stars A collection of 70s stories, and that's where they should have stayed, 20 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Shatterday (Kindle Edition)

I know little of Harlan Ellison apart from the fact that he wrote The City on the Edge of Forever, or a form thereof, and some Twilight Zone episodes. I can't honestly say I've ever read any of his work before: perhaps a short story or two in an anthology, but nothing that sticks in the mind. As I'm a voracious sci-fi reader, I found the lack of data disturbing enough to seek out this book.

Now, I've abandoned it for the time being. I cannot for the life of me get into it. The tone of many of the stories is 70s 'groovy' - dated and tiresome, while Ellison's supposedly humourous introductory pieces are unfunny, self-congratulatory braying that sheds an interesting, not to say incriminatory light on the disputes that have dogged his writing career.

I may return to finish this book at some point and update this review accordingly. Or not.

Shatterday