5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the series so far
Published on 19 Mar 2012 by Darchaeg

3.0 out of 5 stars Very much the same as the others
This book is an identical copy of the others in the series. Ms Harrison really has not had to do much thinking as it seems like a paste and copy exercise with just a change of scene and characters. At least half of all chapters refer to how likeable, loveable, frustrating the two main characters are. The remainder is taken up by story lines and sexual encounters of the...
Published 22 months ago by eeileenalana

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the series so far, 19 Mar 2012
Darchaeg (Edinburgh, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oracle's Moon (Elder Races Book 4) (Kindle Edition)
I've read all of Ms Harrison's 'Elder Races' books with the exception of True Colors, which I plan to read next. Excluding that one, this is definitely the best one. The character of the Oracle (Grace) is really funny with a spine of steel. She is vulnerable but not insipid. She is stubborn but definitely not stupid. And she is mischievous without being too silly to live. Khalil, the Djinn, is an interesting male to read because he has so much to learn, and he does it through his friendship with Grace. I only wish the book had been a bit longer. I would like to see more development of Grace's Power as the last Oracle. I can only hope Ms Harrison will return to that issue somehow in future books of the series. My only complaint is that in a recession-bitten world, it is sometimes a little *too* neat when a character like Grace, who is being driven to her knees with financial crisis after crisis, ends up with a ton of money courtesy of the male character. I would've liked to have seen her resolve her financial issues herself, but it's just a small (prideful) pet peeve I have about the precarious financial situations often posited by the women in romance novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically rich world and characters, loved it!, 6 Mar 2012
I should say this is written in my happy bubble, since I have only just finished reading this book and I am already a fan of the series (though this is the first book I have given a full five stars) so expect quite a bit of gushing praise and reference/comparisons to previous books, though this is a completely spoiler free zone, so if you want a clue at plots, read the blurbs.

I have been going a little crazy waiting for Oracle's Moon to drop through my letterbox, so when it arrived this morning, the house work was abandoned and I gleefully started reading. I had only planned on reading for one hour, maybe two... but in the end I couldn't put it down. I've got to say, this is perhaps my favourite in the series so far. I reread the whole series whilst I was waiting for Oracle's Moon and whilst I still love Pia and Dragos and think Carlisle's Story was fascinating and unique (and I have read a whole lot of vampire books), Oracle's moon blew my socks off! I think it is very mature, full book and just so, so fascinating/intriguing/exciting.

I'm not a big reader of romance, my bookshelf is mostly urban fantasy with some sci fi and fantasy and a bit of paranormal romance thrown in. I will only read a romance if it's got a good story and characters and wow did this have both! Gosh, I loved how richly described Kahlil was, how he changed throughout the story, I feel like I know him . Also, though I really liked the Wyr characters of previous books, this book was so exciting because it was just so new/fresh, I love that! I've been disappointed in the past by taming-of-the-alpha-male series like this one, where initially I love the world and the characters but after the third book I feel like there's nothing new to find out, like all I get to do is explore characters I've already met in a world I'm already familiar with. That hasn't been the case for this series (except perhaps the second book, though maybe others will disagree). Carlisle (Book 3, Serpent's Kiss) was a revelation, a fascinating development on what it is to be a vampire in the world of the Elder Races and completely unexpected. This (Book 4) was even more exciting because not only was the female character new and exciting but we left the world of the Wyr to explore the amazingly well developed world of the Djinn and witches. I just cant believe how real this world feels, not only in the way the fantastical elements are developed/revealed/explored but in how (especially in this book) the characters have to deal with day to day problems that I can relate to. I really do recommend this book and I am typically a reader of Ilona Andrews, Jeaniene Frost and Gail Carriger; the only other taming-the-alpha-male type romances I have enjoyed are Meljean Brooks Iron Duke and Heart of Steel.

This book has an amazingly rich world and characters and I think it is really worth a read, Thea Harrison is on my very short list of must-buy authors.

4.0 out of 5 stars Back on form!, 10 Mar 2012
This review is from: Oracle's Moon (Elder Races Book 4) (Kindle Edition)
I was initially worried about this book as I thought the previous one was badly done. However I thought it was great! The character development was well done and unlike the last book the relationship between the main characters felt natural. I really liked Grace, Chloe and Max. I warmed to their characters immediately and thought the presence of children provided a nice element of comedy. I eagerly await the next installment, which going of the taster provided at the end of this book, will feature Pia again. Can't wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED IT>>>>>>>, 16 April 2012
This review is from: Oracle's Moon (Elder Races Book 4) (Kindle Edition)
I wasn't disappointed Thank Go...... I will try really hard not to use 'harsh words' to describe my feelings about this book. I really, really, really enjoyed this book. Loved all the characters, Khalil, Grace, Max and Chloe. It does seem a bit strange having it off with a being which is make of air and energy but I know if you are going to read fantasy you have to suspend reality. But hey! what a cool guy........ great with kids......but not knowing all that much of the modern world therefore giving us lots of fun and smiles when he tries to cope especially going to dates with Grace. And what a wonderful name to give to her heroine, My heart just went out to Khalil when he says( and I know I am misquoting' here) 'What i need is grace in my life'.(getting all hot and bothered here) Not sure about Ms Harrison next book- 'Lord's Fall', but have to wait for November to decide. Hope it's as good as this . Hope I don't have to go through 2 so, so books to get to a great novel. Wish Ms Harrison will write one featuring the bar owner from her 1st book' Dragon BOund'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Djinn - I think so, 16 Mar 2012
This review is from: Oracle's Moon (Elder Races Book 4) (Kindle Edition)
This is fast becoming one of my favourite authors and her books are going into my 'immediate download on release' list. The story centres around 'Khalil (genie) and Grace (single mum/aunt/oracle). I have read a few 'genie' stories and they didn't really do it for me, the idea of a romantic entanglement with 'air' has left me cold in the past, however, I am converted by Khalil.

Grace is young and left the sole care of two small children on the death of her sister. Her world is turned upside down and she is struggling big-time, I think many single parents will resonate with Grace's trials. Grace, however is the 'Oracle' and therefore must be protected by the other 'paranormal' races and to this end Khalil arrives (a bit high and mighty I might add).

The story is written from both main characters and the dialogue is very fresh and honest, I loved all the characters including the two small children. The story was at times smokin' hot, tender, exasperated and so sweet that it made me sigh. The development of Grace's accepting Khalil's help and Khalil learning to respect and adore the depth of Grace's loyalty and love for the children was a beautiful thing. A keeper this one, for those times when you need a little 'pick me up'.

When I pick up a Thea Harrison book, like Nalini Singh I feel as though I am in safe hands. These authors are really, really good at telling a story that will leave me wanting more.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Elder Races" book 4, 26 Nov 2013
Book Addict - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Oracle's Moon (Elder Races Book 4) (Kindle Edition)
Leading lovers Grace and Khalil are introduced in book 3 "Serpent's Kiss". Grace is "The Oracle"; a position she thought she'd never have to deal with until her sister is killed, whilst Khalil is a second generation Djinn; one of the most powerful of the Elder Races. He isn't impressed much by Grace's attitude when he meets her, whilst she is tired and grouchy after dealing with her nephew and niece whom now live with her, a house falling apart around her ears and mounting money worries. Yet her duty as The Oracle means that she cannot deny a petitioner, so when Khalil, accompanied by Tiago and Carling, turn up unannounced at her home she also has to deal with magic that is still new to her.

Khalil finds himself inexplicably drawn to Grace as well as her young niece and nephew. He grants her one of the greatest gifts he can offer; his protection, yet he is left infuriated when Grace fails to realise the magnitude of what he offers. Grace in turn has a hectic life and doesn't want the addition of a curious Djinn in her home, especially one that interests her far more than he should. Yet when danger threatens Grace and her family, Khalil is handy to have around. But perhaps ensuring Grace's safety will endanger the powerful Djinn himself.

Again TH has created a whirlwind plot line with plenty of action, drama, treachery, passion and some seriously poignant moments. The budding relationship between Grace and Khalil is wonderful (his concept of dating is literally out of this world) plus their banter is thoroughly entertaining. I also enjoyed the ideas surrounding Djinn society, plus Grace's own battle with her magic. 4 stars

4.0 out of 5 stars A great addition to the series!, 9 Mar 2012
This review is from: Oracle's Moon (Elder Races Book 4) (Kindle Edition)
This book picks up right at the end of Serpent's Kiss. Grace is the Oracle, Kalil the Djinn who helped Carling and Rule get to the Oracle right at the end of Serpent's Kiss. In this book, Kalil stays (presumably because of the two children Grace is looking after -her niece and nephew). Grace and Kalil build up a relationship, it almost goes pear-shaped but Grace manages to sort it out nicely at the end.
Amusing, witty, sensual rather than graphically sexy (there's a bit of that too).
I didn't give it 5 stars because I thought the whole having sex with a Djinn who ends up being a cloud was a bit ... strange... and I thought the 'mystery' of who was trying to kill who (no spoilers here) was not exploited enough. Tension was built up, but when you found out the motive it was ... meh ... a bit of a let down.
All in all - 4.5 stars if I could. Can't wait for the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just love the Elder Race books!, 9 Sep 2014
Nancy "romance mad" (Kent, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oracle's Moon (Elder Races Book 4) (Kindle Edition)
This one is about a woman who not only inherits two children with the death of her sister but also the dubious gift of being the Oracle. Grace is a wonderful character, just loved how she keeps fighting even with her back to the wall and everything falling around her, brilliant strong woman. Enter stage right Khalil, Djinn Prince, all powerful and completely at a loss about how to deal with Grace. These two are wonderful. Each book bring some of our favourite characters back from the previous books, so you get a snip of how they are getting on. So, so good.
You can read each one separately, but it's so much better if you start at the beginning and fall in love with Pia and Dragos in "Dragon Bound" (deep sigh, just love that book!)
Go on, treat yourself to a story that will hook you in and keep you reading late into the night. Thanks Thea for another brilliant story!

5.0 out of 5 stars Holy amazing book batman!, 9 Sep 2014
HOLY HELL THAT WAS SO BLOODY AMAZING.

I am so in love with Khalil. IN LOVE. One of the best male characters I have ever read about. Ever.

Grace was a total sweetheart. As were the children. I loved how she was a trooper, and just kept going no matter what got thrown at her. She loved those close to her fiercely. The way she protected Khalil even when she wasn't that powerful was so lovely.

I loved that there wasn't really a lot of action in this because I'd have been happy if the whole book was just swoony Khalil/Grace scenes. Which I basically got because it was mostly focused on the romance. It was perfect!

The other Djinns were brilliant as well.

This whole book was just fantastic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 25 Feb 2014
This review is from: Oracle's Moon (Elder Races Book 4) (Kindle Edition)
I just love this series. The characters are well drawn and the storyline is great. Draws you into the story completely. Will definitely put it in my favourites and enjoy reading it again and again.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Oracle's Moon (Elder Races Book 4)
5.99