5.0 out of 5 stars Relly gets you going and sweating
I love this as a regular runner I need to build strength to try and avoid injuries and maintain flexibility.

When I do this workout I know I have done a workout, in fact the sweat is literally dripping. The beauty is if you find certain parts a bit too much do as Bob says, KEEP Going.

Love the way he holds you on certain exercises, for just a few...
Published 18 months ago by themorfinator

1.0 out of 5 stars Sorry Bob, I'll stick with Jillian
Published on 19 April 2012 by Angela

5.0 out of 5 stars Relly gets you going and sweating, 10 Feb 2013
This review is from: Bob Harper Beginner's Weight Loss Transformation [DVD] (DVD)

Love the way he holds you on certain exercises, for just a few seconds more. I would recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars good for getting into exercise., 22 Feb 2013
This is a good one of Bob's dvds but i wouldn't say it's for beginners but then beginners have to start somewhere. It is good cardio and good for the core. Bob encourages you to keep going even when you think that you can't do any more. He is a great motivator. I actually prefer his dvds to Jillian Michaels cos he is calmer and doesn't shout at you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sorry Bob, I'll stick with Jillian, 19 April 2012
Angela "Angela" (Dartford, Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
Let me begin by saying that The Biggest Loser USA is a guilty pleasure of mine. I know the contestants shouldn't be losing those crazy amounts of weight in a week. I know there's loads of setups and cheats. I've heard all the horror stories from past contestants, but I still love to watch. The stars of the show for me are Bob Harper and Jillian Michaels. I'm in the UK and up until now we have only been abale to get Jillian Michaels workout DVD's in our region so when I saw that Bob Harper was finally releasing a workout DVD here I had to pre-order it from Amazon. It arrived this morning so of course I had to try it today.

I am in no way a super fit person. I have not run couch to 5k. But I do workout daily with workout DVD's or 5k walks and I have done 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30, admittedly doing some of the easier versions of the exercises (pushups and I just aren't friends) and also have Jillian's Banish Fat Boost Metabolism. I have two of Davina McCalls workour DVD's as well as a few other 'celebrity' endorsed workouts.

Let's start by looking at the DVD's front cover. There's Bob in some sort of a skater pose. The title is Bob Harper Beginner's Weight Loss Transformation. The promises on the cover are "Beginner level workouts that work!" "Burn fat build muscle transform your body." Being that I am not a beginner I thought that this might be a little easy but I certainly wanted to give it a go.

Well, if that's a beginner's workout then I'm a monkeys uncle. The full workout is 45 minutes long. The warm up is less than 3 minutes and within 5 minutes I was sweating like never before. Soon came push ups, planks, squat thrusts and other exercises that I would love to see a 'beginner' do. Also I found this DVD very repetitive. The same movements were repeated for fairly long periods of time and multiple times. I hate to compare Bob to Jillian, but I will anyway, and one of the things I love about Jillian's DVD's is that she never repeats and exercise more than twice so if you find something boring or really tricky you know you won't have to do it again today.

The studio is a sparse white space and we have Bob with 2 guys and 2 girls, none of whom are remotely like a beginner and throughout the DVD Bob tends to show you a move and then walk around his 'student's making sure they are doing the moves correctly. There was little instruction on how to correctly do the moves so you had to pick alot of it up by watching what they were doing. Bob seems very serious and there is no 'banter' or humour the way there is with Jillian's DVD's. Infact I found him to be quite wooden and uninspiring.

You do burn alot of calories if you can keep up. I often found myself having to jog on the spot or do other exercises because I just couldn't manage some of the moves or the number of reps we were being told to do. I have also managed to hurt my left elbow doing the 'swimming' move with weights which cosisted of squatting while holding a pair of weights and doing a front crawl action with the arms, and my weights are only light.

So, to sum up, sorry Bob but I'll stick with Jillian. I like Bob on BL USA but if this is a beginners workout then I'd hate to see a more advanced one.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT!, 2 April 2014
I never truly worked out, I usually just walk on the treadmill for like an hour twice a week on a medium speed. I have no level of fitness at all. I want to be fit, and lose weight! so I bought some workout DVD that was very intense and I fell behind and i felt frustrated that I will never be as fit as I want to be.

So I decided to give this DVD a chance! since its Bob harper and he has a great reputation, the workout is somewhat challenging, you would definitely break a sweat! I felt great afterwards, It makes me push beyond my limits and work all my muscles. I will upgrade the level of workout as soon as I'm finished with this DVD!

Bob is very calm and makes me feel less under-pressure, he concentrates on the basics and explains terms that i have never really got in the fitness terminology; like how to " engage your core, and keep your muscles intact" he actually explains how to actually feel your muscles during the workout.

I recommend this for everyone who's wants to start working out! and I think its somewhat suitable for older age groups as my mother is trying this workout with me and its going really well!

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 1 Nov 2013
Being a closet Biggest Loser fan, I have recently started Jillian's 30 day shred as someone who has never excercised in my life, and I decided to also try this by Bob, the other trainer. I absolutely loved it! It's definitely not for beginners though, even Bob's helpers were drenched in sweat by the end of it, although none of the moves were particularly difficult. The clock counting down really helps to keep you going, and just when you think you can do no more, Bob will switch to something (relatively) easy to bring your heart rate down. I think Bob is an excellent motivator and dare I say it, I preferred this to Jillian's Shred!

5.0 out of 5 stars For brave beginners and Bob regulars, 4 July 2014
J. Thompson (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this for my partner who thought that my other Bob Harper DVD workouts were too hard for a beginner. This is slightly easier than the others, and Bob does encourage the user to do what they can and go at their own pace, but it is still quite hard and I don't think it is really at a beginner level. However if you want to add another Bob DVD to your collection it is a good workout for experienced exercisers so don't let the 'beginner' title put you off - you get out what you put in.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Just For Beginners, 6 Mar 2013
S. Moulding (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this because it was a Bob Harper DVD and I was impressed with Totally Ripped Core. I took a chance because I'm not a beginner and have been doing these types of dvd's 5 to 6 times a week for a number of years. If I did this when I was a beginner I would have had serious trouble! The moves are simple but effective. I use my usual weights from all my routines (ankle, wrist and hand weights) and it is just as effective a workout as the others. The only downside is a bit of an increase in repetition (star jumps 4 times for example) but some new moves as well that help to make up for it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good workout, 11 Jan 2013
Bob is a great trainer and I think he has made some great DVDs .i workout at home and also do running.i use these d dot help tone my body shape my body.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bob scores again....., 17 Jun 2012
I would pitch this in the following way:

Beginners: will find this a challenging and motivating workout.

Intermediates: will find this useful for the days when you want to go a bit easier on yourself, but you still want to workout (i.e, those days when you just CANNOT face' Pure Burn'!)

Advanced: will use this as an extended warm-up to something seriously hard core.

I'm not a beginner to exercise, working out or Bob Harper, but I bought this to complete my Bob collection. From the reviews on US Amazon, I was aware that there are many criticisms of it not really being targeted at beginners. I'm not sure; the exercises themselves are not difficult and the pace is quite gentle. It definitely raises your heart rate (after circa 15/20 mins), but not to the insane levels that Bob's workouts usually do. It's short, but targets upper body (arms/shoulder combos, presses, bicep curls etc.), lower (squats - regular, held and sumo - and lunges) abs (standing crunches, plank variations and oblique crunches) and cardio (high knees, jumping jacks and the dreaded squat thrusts).

I'm not sure that as a raw, complete beginner or as someone who was overweight, how I would manage a whole set of squat thrusts followed by a set of walking planks....or the combination of walking planks, followed by high-to-low planks, followed by cross-body mountain climbers - my wrists were seriously sore after all this!

In sum, it's not the hardest workout....but definitely makes you feel like you've done something. Definitely would be challenging for a complete beginner to exercising, but not impossible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bob knows best!, 16 Mar 2014
Beginners workout? Wow....maybe not but this is definitely a weightloss workout to challenge even the fittest person out there. Get ready to sweat like a beast if you try this one. Good instruction as well as a beginners version of the moves.

Bob Harper Beginner's Weight Loss Transformation [DVD]