4.0 out of 5 stars Tongue-in-cheek Gangster Adventure!
Wonderfully readable and funny throughout, with a few characters that seem too weird to be true, and yet....

Published on 9 May 2010 by Freespirit

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money
I bought this book from the author, and was impressed with the written review in the book.

However, I have to say that this is possibly the worst book I have ever read. The writing style is immature and incredibly annoying, and I felt patronised throughout. If a character is well-written enough that you feel you know them, you don't need to be told at every...
Published on 5 Oct 2009 by S. Hanson

4.0 out of 5 stars Tongue-in-cheek Gangster Adventure!, 9 May 2010
This review is from: The Dealer (Paperback)

This book takes you on an exciting day's journey with hard-nut Danny, a gangster who wants to retire. Settling into a country village seems an unlikely goal for him, and not everyone is happy to have him around. However, the mysterious letter with which the story begins delivers a few surprises....

Ideal book to take on holiday, the story is well paced and easy to pick up whenever you like.
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious book, 8 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Dealer (Paperback)
This book is hilarious, fast paced storyline, recommended to anyone who likes London gangster fiction... Credit to the author for writing a genuinely fun book!

5.0 out of 5 stars well worth a read, 18 April 2012
S. Warren "ste_warren" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dealer (Kindle Edition)
I am really glad I gave this book a try. The thing I like most about my kindle is that it opens the market up to trying out books that you wouldn't necessarily spend money on for a new author. Gordon Ferris is one that I am happy about and Tony Royden is another.

The other reviewers have mentioned about the characters and the craziness of the plot, so I won't go on about all that too much, but needless to say, I would recommend this book to anyone who likes a funny read.

I look forward to the next instalment and I definitely think there is mileage in the characters created in this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Read without cynicism and you'll love it., 5 Dec 2009
Richard Hunter (South East England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dealer (Paperback)
I, like other reviewers here met Tony Royden at a book signing. I went into Waterstones looking for a Christmas guide and he tapped me on the shoulder and handed me a copy of the book and a list of reviews, I couldn't resist the sales technique so bought it there and then and had it signed. He was a very nice man, so when I started reading and realised it was about London gangsters, I became a little cynical, Royden seemed as gangster-ish as Guy Richie, but I kept at it, ignored the stereotypes and clichés, the one dimensional characters and the childish writing style that makes The Da Vinci Code look like a literary masterpiece and it won me over. It IS laugh out loud funny in some places (not always convenient when reading in public) and is a very enjoyable read.

Most of the characters are completely over the top (if Mr Magoo-style blind gangsters, harley riding, pot smoking, ageing Anglican ministers and cross dressing, senile colonels are not your thing, then perhaps you should look elsewhere) and some are just bad stereotypes (Italian Mother, Mad Scientist etc. Although the Italian woman says something that made me guffaw like an idiot on the bus and the scientist has some of the funniest scenes), but pretty much all of them are likeable, even when they do bad things you don't hate them (the book does have a few dark turns along the way) and the novel finishes with a completely unexpected, left-field ending. Despite my reservations I was pleasantly surprised with the whole experience.

Word of warning to the more high-brow amongst you. I agree with the negatives listed in the unfavourable reviews here, if you don't think you can ignore these problems, you will also hate the book, if you can get over them (I was half way through before I realised I was enjoying it) then you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps you guessing to the end, 7 Oct 2009
This review is from: The Dealer (Paperback)
"The Dealer" is a cleverly constructed and very funny book. Tony Royden skillfully interweaves the large cast of entertaining characters and complex plotlines so it always makes perfect sense. The dark humour is reminiscent of Tom Sharpe and the ending certainly took me by surprise.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 4 Sep 2009
T. Last (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dealer (Paperback)
Took The Dealer on holiday thinking it would take me all week to read, but enjoyed the pace of the book so much I ended up finishing it in 2 days! Loved the character Bat - had me laughing out loud! Was surprised to see such a negative review on Amazon. I thought it was great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Entertaining, 12 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Dealer (Kindle Edition)
Found this book to be really entertaining. I was giggling quite a lot, so now OH wants to read it. Definitely would recommend it to any one who can see the funny side of gangsters.

4.0 out of 5 stars awesomely written. an interesting end but would have preferred more storyline., 24 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Dealer (Kindle Edition)
awesomely written - was laughing out loud at the beginning. Was an interesting end but would have preferred more storyline/plot.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 2 July 2013
This review is from: The Dealer (Kindle Edition)
Funny, enjoyable short story. Looking forward to reading more by this author. Thoroughly funny in parts and all the characters link in well

5.0 out of 5 stars A Crime Comedy Gem, 15 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Dealer (Paperback)
The Dealer is very different to anything I have read before, a wonderful blend of crime/mystery thriller mixed together with a huge pinch of side-splitting comedy. The author's style of writing is fast and exciting and The Dealer is a page-turning story that I found impossible to put down. Yet throughout it's relentless pace, it also managed to have me howling with laughter (much to the annoyance of my family sitting around me).

The main characters (of which there are many!) each have their own story to tell; "Bat" was most definitely my favourite character - a blind bodyguard stubbornly in denial of his disability, he is hilarious. But there are loads more to keep you entertained throughout - a deranged pot-smoking vicar, an obsessive Italian mother, a senile Colonel, a fumbling professor and a crossbow wielding hitman, to name but a few! All the stories (some sinister, some extremely comical) eventually come together in a surprise ending - very clever. It would certainly make a good film!

The Dealer