‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes up to date scholarship on Luke easily accessible, 7 Jun 2002
By A Customer
Tom Wright is to be congratulated on making up to date scholarship on Luke's gospel not only easily accessible, but a source of inspiration and worship.
Wright begins each section of the book with a fresh translation of a few verses followed by a detailed commentary, usually beginning with a helpful illustration.
Each section takes about ten minutes to read. The book therefore lends itself to daily devotional reading
Within our Church congregation the book is being enjoyed by someone who has two M.A. degrees in theology, as well as some who have become Christians within the last few months.
Recommended for everyone who wants to take a fresh look at Luke's gospel.

5.0 out of 5 stars A delight...highly recommended., 1 Aug 2008
Neil Hardisty "Lindsey Hardisty" (The Wirral, UK.) - See all my reviews
From the first page through to the last, this book is a real delight. I honestly treasure it.

In the past I have found commentaries to be books I only use as resource material, too heavy for much general reading. Understanding the scriptures is important to me and I am very grateful that the author chose to pass on his knowledge in such a gentle, engaging style. It means I can come home after a long day at work, help the kids with their homework and then have enough energy left to delve into the bible.

This is a book I look forward to opening each evening. Its like sitting down with a wise, learned old friend to discuss the bible together. Tom Wright has turned me from being a tired student into an avid reader.

I am totally impressed and have bought the lot. The whole set so far.

I want to shake him by the hand.

Thank you Tom.

Neil Hardisty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful & enjoyable, 11 May 2009
A. Brooks (Belfast) - See all my reviews
A well written, thought provoking book, like the others in the series, that can really bring to life the world of the new testament, and make the familiar shine in a new light. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent Read, 29 Oct 2013
L. Davidson (Belfast, N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I've been steadily working my way through all of Tom Wright's books in his "For Everyone" series and they are all particularly interesting. "Luke for Everyone" provides commentaries on the text of this gospel which both explain and enlighten. Luke's gospel covers much of the same ground as Matthew's and it makes for quite a familiar read. I admire the way that Tom Wright has managed to make sense of the quite disparate stories in the New Testament and convey that knowledge to the reader so that his or her faith is strengthened. All of the books in this series are like that. I feel that you draw closer to Jesus by reading the New Testament and thinking about it in a way that singing a few hymns and saying a few prayers in church on Sunday , then putting it out of your mind for the rest of a busy money making week, cannot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 12 Mar 2014
This is not a verse-by-verse exposition, but gives very good insight into each passage of Luke. The author especially follows the theme of Jesus's teaching as he moves towards Jerusalem for the end. I find it useful to read alongside Mathew Henry's Commentary for each passage, as this does look at each verse. Tom Wright has also written companion Bile Study guiodes, and I intend to study these at some stage.
So far I have used the same author's 'for Everyone' guides for Mark, John and Matthew, and I have certainly learned a lot; the author has a gift for allowing one to see passages with fresh eyes.. I intend to use the same guides for the epistles next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good basic grounding, 27 Jun 2013
I have bought this because I am training to be a Reader in the Anglican Church, It gives a simple good basic understanding of what Luke is all about.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent commentary and resource for the ordinary churchgoer/believer, 27 Mar 2013
Brian D. Day (UK) - See all my reviews
we used this as part of a home group during Lent 2013
we would read a passage then discuss it using his comments to get discussion started
having his own translation which is quite different at times to the Bibles we had was more confusing than helpful - people brought NIV, NRSV, NEB and Good News - so this raised questions of why another translation?
His anecdotes, stories and comments engaged our interest and inspired some to read the whole book

it fills a gap between the highly academic commentaries and the more popular chatty ones

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear thinking, 22 Mar 2013
This review is from: Luke for Everyone (New Testament for Everyone) (Kindle Edition)
Good clear and thoughtful explanation of the gospel, the setting in which it was written and its meaning for today.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tom Wright Helping readers of the Bible to understand the work of Jesus., 11 Mar 2013
Each chapter has to be read several times to get a clear understanding of its contents which is why I gave it oniy 4 stars, otherwise helpful in my quest to understand the the life of Jesus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful commentary, 11 April 2014
M. J. Kane (UK) - See all my reviews
I had borrowed this book and was so impressed I bought a copy for myself. Good helpful commentary with insightful comments. Brief and to the point.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›