5.0 out of 5 stars The New William Barclay
Published on 7 Jun 2012 by Mr. K. J. Alexander

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many anecdotes
I bought this for Lent, but haven't got very far with it - I find all the 'anecdotes' which are meant to make it relevant to today just a constant distraction from the line of thought. I reverted to reading William Temple's 'Readings in St John's Gospel' instead - I may return to Tom Wright later.
Published 15 months ago by Mrs Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars The New William Barclay, 7 Jun 2012
Mr. K. J. Alexander "Archaeology Addict" (Anglesey, North Wales) - See all my reviews
For many years I have used the William Barclay Daily Study Bible. This book, and the others in the "For Everyone" series, is an excellent new thought provoking approach to the same subjects. I found that many passages were dealt with quite differently to Barclay's work and challenged me with new thoughts. I therefore intend to build up a collection of the whole series. To find a new series written in uncomplicated language which is completely understandable is like discovering gold!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 21 Aug 2011
Mr. P. EVANS (UK) - See all my reviews
An excellent book especially with the author's own translation of the Bible. I have found it to be both interesting and useful in getting into what the original words were written to convey.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating Book, 8 Jun 2013
L. Davidson (Belfast, N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I'm working my way through these "For Everyone" books by Tom Wright and I'm really finding them fascinating and enjoyable. They are just what I have been looking for after reading the Bible myself and not being able to get a coherent message out of it. As I read these books I feel the Holy Spirit drawing closer to me and I believe that the Holy Spirit speaks to individual Christians primarily through them reading the pages of the Bible. The author's commentaries complement this effort perfectly. They are well written, understandable and enlightening. This book looks at the first half of the important gospel of John and it provides a wealth of interesting information to go along with the Biblical text. All good stuff. Looking forward to reading Part Two already !

5.0 out of 5 stars Can help everyone understand the Scriptures, 22 Jan 2013
Tom Wright was recommended by our Rural Dean. I use these commentaries in my sermon research and they are very useful and helpful. The biblical text has been translated from the original Greek into modern day English, understandable by most people. The commentary on each text uses modern examples of incidents, places, people that any of us might come across or experience, to help understanding. The book can be used in personal Bible study and quiet time and/or for group activity and/or help in preparing talks and sermons. I highly recommend Tom Wrights 'Everyone' commentaries.

4.0 out of 5 stars A helping hand through the Gospels., 8 Mar 2014
Unlike so many of the reference/resource books Tom Wright gives and brings an everyday insight into the Gospels and their meanings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent companion to For Everyone Bible Study Guides: John, 30 Jan 2014
I have used this book as a source book for leading a home group in conjunction with Tom Wright's bible study guide on John. His translation of John is extremely accessible and it was very helpful to read it out loud in the group with the other members following the TNIV.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tom Wright on John's gospel, 19 Jan 2014
This review is from: John for Everyone Part 1: Chapters 1-10 Pt. 1 (New Testament for Everyone) (Kindle Edition)
A worthy successor to William Temple's work on John's Gospel.

Essential reading for anyone studying Christianity and learning how to relate it to today's culture. I found it most helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 30 Nov 2013
Easy to read and thought provoking I look forward to spending time reading it I ove it. I would definitely recommend this to friends and to family.

4.0 out of 5 stars Book Revirw, 2 Oct 2013
This commentary on the 1st 10 chapters of John's Gospel is very useful and very informative. Tom Wright's modern English translation of the New Testament is clear and concise and his commentary on each passage is both readable and relates to modern day situations. A valuable tool in helping us to understand John's Gospel.

5.0 out of 5 stars For those people who read the New Testament, lead Bible studies or preach., 8 Sep 2013
Tom Wright has produced an excellent and scholarly series of books that guide the reader of the New Testament into deeper pathways of understanding. He has an easy, readable style often laced with personal stories to illustrate the exegesis of the passage. I recommend this whole series of the New Testament for Everyone unreservedly.