5.0 out of 5 stars Big improvement
Published 19 months ago by Mr Sneff

2.0 out of 5 stars It was not able to drive my headphones so I sold it. Nicely made, but expensive for tiny box like this.
Published 15 months ago by Maciej

5.0 out of 5 stars Big improvement, 14 Mar 2013
This review is from: Audioengine D1 Premium 24-bit DAC (Electronics)
I've been using a laptop with head phones as my main music source for a number of years now, and previously tried to improve the sound from the Realtek soundcard by adding a Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Go USB Sound Card. I must admit that I was unimpressed and I couldn't really say that it made any improvement over the onboard soundcard. More recently I decided to have another look at using an external soundcard and after some research settled on the Audioengine D1. What a difference! I'm hearing things in albums that I've been listening to for 30 years that I've never heard before, it's like re-discovering my music collection. The sound from FLAC files is excellent, detailed and dynamic yet smooth, there's no harshness to the sound whatsoever. Even mp3s sound better, I've not tried the unit with higher resolution files than CD-quality but I've no doubt that these would sound great too. The unit works well with all kinds of music from 12th Century chant to progressive rock and seems particularly good with voices. I've been using the D1 mainly with Audio Technica ANC7 noise cancelling headphones and a pair of Sennheiser HD 600 headphones and the Audioengine D1 is easily capable of driving them much louder than I'd ever want to listen, or than would be good for my ears. Hooked up to my Fatman Wi-Tube amplifier and Q Acoustics 2010i speakers the sound is again smooth and detailed. I can't comment on the optical input as I've not tried it. The unit is small, neat,appears to be well constructed and represents good value for money. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chrome OS compatible, 18 Sep 2013
D. J. Fenton (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Audioengine D1 Premium 24-bit DAC (Electronics)
Just a quick note for Chromebook owners - it works perfectly with Chrome OS.

First impressions on the sound are extremely positive with my Sennheiser HD600 headphones. I have connected my Sony SACD player via optical (QED Profile cable) and the sound was immediately an improvement on it's built in headphone amp. Volume with the difficult to drive HD600's is adequate for all but the deafest headbanger.

I would have been happier with a longer USB cable but that's really nitpicking.

Sound apparently improves with use too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just get one now, 2 May 2013
S. Miles (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Audioengine D1 Premium 24-bit DAC (Electronics)
I bought this for my iMac with a pair of Audioengine's A5+ powered speakers and their unexpectedly good desktop speaker stands. I'm hugely impressed. Nicely packaged, great documentation and super easy to set up. As to the sound quality, holy cow, it's fantastic, even with the supplied basic cables and without the recommended running in period. I would say the audio quality is comparable to the Denon micro system I have in the main living room, which I've always been very happy with. I'm thrilled to have this sort of audio quality in my home office.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very interesting device..., 19 May 2014
This review is from: Audioengine D1 Premium 24-bit DAC (Electronics)
At present I have a growing collection of DACs to be used for many occasions and I came across this one.

Before purchasing, I check out many reviews which were all positive so I got it.

First thing I noticed was the packaging was pretty good (they even supplied a little bag for it; sweet).

The device is quite small and very well made.

Now for the important bit, sound quality.

The sound quality was in my opinion better than the Dragonfly 1.2, bright but not to bright, with a flat response with no problem in driving a range of headphone.

With a line out and volume control, if you want to start out in the world of USB powered DACs and have a limited budget , buy this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money (yes!) - fantastic boost in sound quality from your computer, 28 Aug 2014
This review is from: Audioengine D1 Premium 24-bit DAC (Electronics)
Should have 10 stars - this is an amazing unit: vastly better quality than a built-in sound card - noticeable even it you are not an audio specialist - transforms your computer into a high end hifi device. For best quality of course the original material must be good: It is worth using with with CDs, Spotify (Premium quality 320bps), high-quality wav & FLAC, my own 24bit 96000Hz recordings, and 32bit 96000Hz from Ardour (see below). If you want to do sound editing the D1 is a must - every detail can be heard on good headphones (or good amp & speakers).

It works out of the box with Linux (tested with Ubuntu 12.04 and 14.04) with the standard PulseAudio setup.

For high-end editing in Linux I suggest Jack (install Qjackctl) and Ardour (get the latest from their website). Plug the D1 into the machine and do a reboot. To configure Jack see https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JACK_Audio_Connection_Kit (Install & Configure Jack). Start up Jack before starting Ardour (at the end close Ardour before stopping Jack). The new session can be 96000Hz/32 bit float. If you are going to import wav files (it cannot import mp3s - on the grounds that these compromise quality - you could use Audacity to convert these to wav) then 24bit/96000Hz wavs will import well and be converted to 32bit float (best for editing as it gives headroom for the inevitable noise that results from applying effects). Ardour is amazing - there are lots of sites that can give online help - all its effects are applied non-destructively - and free plugins are available. Ardour functions well with mid-level hardware (eg Latitude D530, Inspiron 10z) - and you could install indicator-cpufreq which will allow you to get the most from the cpu.

The Audioengine D1 is beautifully built - neat, strong, perfect design - a jewel of a unit!

5.0 out of 5 stars Big improvement on sound from my PC, 11 July 2013
This review is from: Audioengine D1 Premium 24-bit DAC (Electronics)
I have this plugged into my pc and driving either my desktop speakers or headphones. Got to say I can really hear a huge difference all round with both when compared with the sound card build into the motherboard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 17 April 2014
This review is from: Audioengine D1 Premium 24-bit DAC (Electronics)
Bought this to go with my iMac and Audioengine A5+ speakers. Great little product looks fantastic on the desk next to the mac and although a few say the led is too bright i don't agree

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 25 Oct 2013
This review is from: Audioengine D1 Premium 24-bit DAC (Electronics)
Brilliant piece of kit. Like listening to the music all over again. Separation of instruments is superb, percussion audible which I never heard before - all round - brilliant.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enhances, 11 Sep 2012
This review is from: Audioengine D1 Premium 24-bit DAC (Electronics)
It's a very nice bit of kit, both sleek and well-built. Subtly enhances and drives music through my AKG K702s (plugged into a mac via USB). Accepts an optical input for a higher sampling rate. The way to go if you're listening to digital files.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible improvement in sound quality., 18 May 2012
This review is from: Audioengine D1 Premium 24-bit DAC (Electronics)
Not only is this device incredibly well built and beautiful, there is an incredible noticeable improvement in sound quality far exceeding what I had hoped for.

Music is beautifully engrossing and dynamic, crisp and warm. You definitely need one of these!

Audioengine D1 Premium 24-bit DAC