4.0 out of 5 stars Robust Efficient Shredder BUT CD Shredder Useless
Most shredders we have used previously have been very disappointing, suffering from overheating problems, inability to shred properly and frequently breaking down. Consequently we viewed this, our latest shredder, with scepticism.

Published on 17 July 2012 by father2

3.0 out of 5 stars this powerful shredder is fine for me but maybe not everyone
Published on 7 Oct. 2012 by c.e.s.

4.0 out of 5 stars Robust Efficient Shredder BUT CD Shredder Useless, 17 July 2012
This review is from: AmazonBasics 10- to 12-Sheet Cross-Cut Shredder with CD Shred (Office Product)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Once you begin shredding you notice straight away that this is no flimsy machine and not prone to the problems previously described. This shredder will shred and shred and shred until the cows come home. We have been having a sort out of old documents and so have had plenty of practice using this shredder to test its abilities. Not once has it stopped due to overheating and shreds well consistently.

Other reviews have highlighted how bulky this shredder is, but you cannot have things both ways. If you have a lightweight shredder then you can expect lightweight performance, whereas this shredder looks and feels like it can cope with seriously shredding.

The lack of handles on the box below the shredder is frustrating and makes picking up the shredder difficult. Twice we have gone to pick it up only to find that the top came away, knocking over the box and spilling shreddings everywhere. It would not take much to design indentations into the box to make things easier.

Finally the separate disc shredder is pretty useless really, badly designed and not up the job. If you want to shred credit/debit cards then the normal shredder will cope perfectly.

Despite the faults this shredder really knocks spots off every other shredder we have ever owned: it is fast, reliable and just shreds away perfectly for our needs - destroying sensitive documents hassle free.

5.0 out of 5 stars i'm gonna call it 'the BEAST', 18 July 2013
BenGee333 (Edinburgh, Midlothian Scotland) - See all my reviews
Length:: 9:35 Mins

this AmazonBasics 12-Sheet Cross-Cut Shredder is a SUPERB shredder !!!

i am a bit of a 'stationary fetishist' (always have been, always will be LOL ;-)) & having just destroyed my last shredder

((by being impatient, putting too much paper at a time & continuous paper feeding, it's only a machine until you break it & THEN it's 'important' ! LOL once i'm sure the machine is completely dead, drop it (to 'fix' it &/ or) clear it, stamp on it a few times (level two 'repairs' LOL to maybe make things inside come free ??/ again try & 'fix' it ;-))

i decide it's time to get a replacement ...

i'm a 'difficult' customer (expect a lot, impatient with machine, as above LOL) so i did quite a lot of looking & read A LOT of reviews (i might be 'difficult' but i still want a 'good' shredder) until i FINALLY DECIDED to 'commit' to buying this .

on arrival (Friday 28 June 2013) i rip it out the box (impatient LOL), plug it in & proceed to put it through it's paces ...

i have a backlog of paper needing shred so (to be kind to the machine & it's impending 'doom' LOL) i start by running a sheet of the Aurora (Aurora SP1000 Shredder Lubrication and Sharpening Sheets (Pack of 12)) first .

then i commence shredding running the machine solidly, continuous paper running for the best part of 40 mins filling the shredder bucket to the point it lifts the shredder head clear off THREE TIMES IN A ROW !!! see VIDEO

in doing so the ONLY ('unusual') sound this machine made was (working SO solidly & SO robustly as) to make my wooden floor rumbled !!! LOL

this shredder says it shreds 12 sheets; i'm not bothered about that so i doubt i went past 6, i don't need or want to test the 12 sheet aspect, it's not like i want to break this machine LOL

i DID put a DVD in & IT JAMMED (overloaded) on the 1st pass !!!

i simply reversed the mechanism then went started a 2nd pass, it ate the DVD NO PROBLEM AT ALL; it DID JAM but on the 2nd pass the machine sounded under (obvious) strain (& load) but NOT like it was struggling, just like it needed 2 passes for certain items ...

to be honest i don't really want to shred many DVDs anyway, i think if this function is needed the most then we should be looking at DVD shredders & not PAPER shredders LOL

that said staples & 2, 3, 6 & 8 ??? sheets at a time seemed to just GO, obviously putting the machine under load but once passed the machine seemed solid & happy to just keep (floor) rumbling on ...

i'll end saying i took the time & trouble to WRITE (& VIDEO review) this item to take ALL THE searching & reviewing I HAD TO DO to FINALLY come to a decision to & (in doing so) to HOPEFULLY make your processTHAT MUCH EASIER :-)))

also i took the t&t because i WOULD'NT HESITATE to recommend THIS SIMPLY SUPERB, ROBUST shredder !!!

i ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT :-DDD

& i hope this helps :-)))

Ben :-)))

REVIEW UPDATE [ 30 Jan 2015 ] :

" Just because you can "

So the truth be told i broke ' the beast ' ( sometime around the middle of 2014 ) ...

basically i trashed it , like i did in the video for all of it's reasonable short life , i fed it CDs and DVDs , crammed it with paper , plastic , sticking paper etc i did it all because i had confidence ' the beast ' could take it ...

it couldn't , loading it with 12 sheets of paper something went !

i asked a friend if they thought they could fix it , in the seconds it took to do so i bought another [ hatefully impatient consumer that i am ] my friend did manage to fix it so i said he could keep it

the interesting thing he told me was that the ' guts ' of ' the beast ' are near indestructible , but the foundation holding them are fairly frail plastic , so though the guts can take it the foundations can't

the point and the lesson being " Just because you can " doesn't mean you have to ...

seriously i have got through so many shredders through unrealistic expectations i've made my mind up to make this one ( ' the beast v.2 ' ) last

this one most certainly will ( paper CDs/ DVDs etc everything you might realistically need to shred ), if you treat it right

( i continue to ) hope this helps

( and again ) regards to all :-DDD

REVIEW UPDATE [ 18 May 2015 ] :
===========================

if you look at the Reviews you'll find one titled " i'm gonna call it 'the BEAST' " By BenGee333 on 18 July 20133 well as you will probably be able to see it's for a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT `BEAST' i have NO IDEA for the change and i have NO IDEA why AMAZON haven't changed the link etc but looking at this item i think it should be a pretty good buy and good enough for your requirements i.e. i think if i were buying [around this time] i would be buying this one

it's only for 7 sheets but [i think] the `Micro-Cut' will compensate for this and PLEASE keep in mind the

REVIEW UPDATE [ 30 Jan 2015 ] :

" Just because you can " part of the review

i.e. i [using the AmazonBasics 7- to 8-Sheet Micro-Cut Paper / CD / Credit Card Shredder with Pullout Basket] wouldn't be shredding more than 3 or 4 sheets to ensure the machine lasts ...

anyway i know this Review [and listing is now] a little convoluted but, none-the-less, i hope it helps

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what's needed, 4 May 2013
We ordered this to shred basic household bills etc and use it regularly as our shredded paper is also used as bunny bedding. As long as you are patient and can take the time to shred 6-8 sheets max at a time, this does the job. If we werent using the shredder for bunny bedding, I would probably use cross cut if something confidential needed to be thrown out as the pieces are quite large and I imagine would be easy to put back together if someone really needed to. Luckily our shreddings then get chewed pood and peed on so confidentiality isnt an issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 13 Jun. 2013
Shredder arrived this morning, and now been able to catch up with 6 months of shredding.

Whilst it says 8 sheets, actually 4-5 is more realistic, however I don't have an issue with that as this is largely paper dependant. Been constantly shredding for 5-10 mins, then allowing it to cool down for 30 mins or so.

Credit card slot shreds well - the card is well and truly destroyed. Not tried the CD shredder.

The shreddings are small as you would expect, and take up a lot less space than strip cut shreddings. The shreddings themselves are about 4mm x 10mm.

It's not noisy when in use.

The plastic of the collection bin is a bit flimsy and not what I would consider to be robust, however it will not be removed on a regualr basis, so hopefully wont be a problem. The next nearest micro cut shredder is about £40 more, so you pay your money and take your choice.

Overall 5 stars as for £46 you can't complain.

5.0 out of 5 stars good purchase, 29 Nov. 2013
I've literally just received this and put it together. Yes, it needs a bit of putting together as it has wheels. Also the shredder sits permanently on the base so that the bin can be removed easily for emptying. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to keep a bin liner in this as the bin fits snuggly into the base, but, yes, the bin liner is fine which of course makes it easier to empty.

The paper shredding is really fine, tiny pieces. The credit card shredding is tiny too. The CD shredding is not as small, but it doesn't need to be. The are cut into about 4 pieces, which is sufficiently damaged to render them unreadable! If you don't want the writing on the CDs to be ready, you will need to sort that out before shredding I guess.

The shredder is heavy, so its a good job you don't need to lift the lid in order to empty it (like my last one). Wheels are handy. Seems like an excellent purchase. It's the first time I've bought an Amazon brand, and, as I said, I've just got it, but so far so good. I would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 22 Aug. 2013
I had some reservations about this product. But needed one at the office rather quickly. This is amazing, it's small but does a perfect job, better than my older larger shredder. definitely would recommend this product

3.0 out of 5 stars this powerful shredder is fine for me but maybe not everyone, 7 Oct. 2012
This shredder is powerful and does 'what it says on the tin' but it is noisy and tricky to empty; you have to lift the heavy top off which means bits of paper fall everywhere. It's difficult to carry even a metre as it's top heavy with no handles. Th paper opening is rather small which is a pain if you have lots of paper to shred (I had a backlog to start with); I realise this is a safety feature but I am a responsible adult with no long hair, tie, floaty sleeves or small children. So for a man's small office it's perfect but if you are not strong or don't like the noise, maybe not.

1.0 out of 5 stars Im very disappointed that I bought this shredder, 6 Jan. 2014
I am disappointed that I listened to the good reviews and took less notice of the bad. I wasnt particularly concerned that it might be heavy or noisy I just wanted to buy a reliable shredder. It was noisy and quite heavy but ok to move. I managed to shred one full basket and was being very careful with it only shredding up to 4 sheets at a time and no staples. I stopped for a while and emptied the basket. When starting again it jammed on the first two pieces of paper. The reverse didnt release the jam. It then said that the paper was misaligned which it wasnt and then said it was full which it wasnt(!) it then stopped working completely. I turned off for an hour but still it didnt work. I left it overnight but the next day it still didnt work. Maybe I was just unlucky but I didnt misuse it and now wish I hadnt bought it.

Update 8/1/14 - I contacted Amazon about this faulty shredder and they couldnt have been more helpful. I can return the faulty shredder foc and will receive a replacement. I just hope I have better luck this time!

Update 6/8/14 - received the new shredder but due to a house move have not tried it until today. It does not work at all!! It says misaligned and whatever I do it wont work. I have to go out now and dont have time to contact Amazon as yet but I dont think I will bother trying another of these again anyway.

4.0 out of 5 stars Omnivorous, 2 Jun. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well, this is a bit of a beast. Been feeding it a varied diet for a week or two now and no signs of indigestion yet. However, I have managed to jam it a couple of times which I was rather surprised by.

The first time was a mixture of paper and card but I didn't think it was particularly thick. Anyway, no problems - simply reversed the shredder, took a couple of sheets out and away it went again.

Let's see - what else have I tried? A little booklet with a couple of staples in it - no problems there at all.

A DVD - straight through. I was kind of expecting some horrible grunchy noises but no - pretty much the same as paper.

A credit card. Actually, this was the second time I managed to jam it. I was a bit mystified by that, but again I just reversed it out, trimmed it a bit and tried again - successfully.

Of course, the bin is now filled with a mixture of paper, DVD and credit card so I can't really recycle the contents, but obviously I could be a little more selective.

Being a cross-cut shredder, what comes out of it really isn't going to be stuck back together any time soon - so if you happen to be in a US embassy somewhere and you need to leave in a hurry, this is probably a good bet.

There are a few 'nevers' of course:

"Never shred large paper clips, window or insulated envelopes, continuous forms, newsprint, bound pages (in [sic] example: notepads, checkbooks, magazines, etc...), transparencies, laminated documents, cardboard, any items with adhesives, hard materials or plastic (except Credit Cards and CDs)."

So small paper clips are o.k. - well, small staples go through with no problems so why not small paper clips?

It really does feel like a quality bit of kit - very solidly made and quite a weight. There is a window in the side of the bin so you can see how full it is getting. I noticed that this window was actually screwed - rather than glued - in place. I know it's a little thing but it just seemed to suggest a rather better quality than one might have expected for the price.

So, yes, overall I think this is a practical and useful bit of kit at a good price.

5.0 out of 5 stars A home shredder that destroys sensitive data., 31 Dec. 2014
Having used several shredders at home over the years, i was always looking for a shredder that actually lived up to the product description. This makes short work of papers, CD's and bank cards (and the like). It does say up to 8 sheets at a time but that is always going to depend on the weight of paper you are shredding, CD's are chopped into 4 pieces making them unreadable, cards are chewed up in to small pieces (the best I've ever seen).

I have found it very capable and have took to putting those pesky Amazon sticky labels into the shredder still attached to the cardboard now as this more than copes, (see Picture). Only one low point having bought this item it then appeared on "black Friday deals" and I could have saved some money, so if your thinking of buy this item in the future look out for deals.

Oh and don't forget to lubricate the cutters from time to time.