4.0 out of 5 stars Robust Efficient Shredder BUT CD Shredder Useless
Most shredders we have used previously have been very disappointing, suffering from overheating problems, inability to shred properly and frequently breaking down. Consequently we viewed this, our latest shredder, with scepticism.

Published on 17 July 2012 by father2

3.0 out of 5 stars this powerful shredder is fine for me but maybe not everyone
Published on 7 Oct. 2012 by c.e.s.

4.0 out of 5 stars Robust Efficient Shredder BUT CD Shredder Useless, 17 July 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Once you begin shredding you notice straight away that this is no flimsy machine and not prone to the problems previously described. This shredder will shred and shred and shred until the cows come home. We have been having a sort out of old documents and so have had plenty of practice using this shredder to test its abilities. Not once has it stopped due to overheating and shreds well consistently.

Other reviews have highlighted how bulky this shredder is, but you cannot have things both ways. If you have a lightweight shredder then you can expect lightweight performance, whereas this shredder looks and feels like it can cope with seriously shredding.

The lack of handles on the box below the shredder is frustrating and makes picking up the shredder difficult. Twice we have gone to pick it up only to find that the top came away, knocking over the box and spilling shreddings everywhere. It would not take much to design indentations into the box to make things easier.

Finally the separate disc shredder is pretty useless really, badly designed and not up the job. If you want to shred credit/debit cards then the normal shredder will cope perfectly.

Despite the faults this shredder really knocks spots off every other shredder we have ever owned: it is fast, reliable and just shreds away perfectly for our needs - destroying sensitive documents hassle free.

5.0 out of 5 stars i'm gonna call it 'the BEAST', 18 July 2013
BenGee333 (Edinburgh, Midlothian Scotland) - See all my reviews
Length:: 9:35 Mins

this AmazonBasics 12-Sheet Cross-Cut Shredder is a SUPERB shredder !!!

i am a bit of a 'stationary fetishist' (always have been, always will be LOL ;-)) & having just destroyed my last shredder

((by being impatient, putting too much paper at a time & continuous paper feeding, it's only a machine until you break it & THEN it's 'important' ! LOL once i'm sure the machine is completely dead, drop it (to 'fix' it &/ or) clear it, stamp on it a few times (level two 'repairs' LOL to maybe make things inside come free ??/ again try & 'fix' it ;-))

i decide it's time to get a replacement ...

i'm a 'difficult' customer (expect a lot, impatient with machine, as above LOL) so i did quite a lot of looking & read A LOT of reviews (i might be 'difficult' but i still want a 'good' shredder) until i FINALLY DECIDED to 'commit' to buying this .

on arrival (Friday 28 June 2013) i rip it out the box (impatient LOL), plug it in & proceed to put it through it's paces ...

i have a backlog of paper needing shred so (to be kind to the machine & it's impending 'doom' LOL) i start by running a sheet of the Aurora (Aurora SP1000 Shredder Lubrication and Sharpening Sheets (Pack of 12)) first .

then i commence shredding running the machine solidly, continuous paper running for the best part of 40 mins filling the shredder bucket to the point it lifts the shredder head clear off THREE TIMES IN A ROW !!! see VIDEO

in doing so the ONLY ('unusual') sound this machine made was (working SO solidly & SO robustly as) to make my wooden floor rumbled !!! LOL

this shredder says it shreds 12 sheets; i'm not bothered about that so i doubt i went past 6, i don't need or want to test the 12 sheet aspect, it's not like i want to break this machine LOL

i DID put a DVD in & IT JAMMED (overloaded) on the 1st pass !!!

i simply reversed the mechanism then went started a 2nd pass, it ate the DVD NO PROBLEM AT ALL; it DID JAM but on the 2nd pass the machine sounded under (obvious) strain (& load) but NOT like it was struggling, just like it needed 2 passes for certain items ...

to be honest i don't really want to shred many DVDs anyway, i think if this function is needed the most then we should be looking at DVD shredders & not PAPER shredders LOL

that said staples & 2, 3, 6 & 8 ??? sheets at a time seemed to just GO, obviously putting the machine under load but once passed the machine seemed solid & happy to just keep (floor) rumbling on ...

i'll end saying i took the time & trouble to WRITE (& VIDEO review) this item to take ALL THE searching & reviewing I HAD TO DO to FINALLY come to a decision to & (in doing so) to HOPEFULLY make your processTHAT MUCH EASIER :-)))

also i took the t&t because i WOULD'NT HESITATE to recommend THIS SIMPLY SUPERB, ROBUST shredder !!!

i ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT :-DDD

& i hope this helps :-)))

Ben :-)))

===========================
REVIEW UPDATE [ 30 Jan 2015 ] :
===========================

" Just because you can "

So the truth be told i broke ' the beast ' ( sometime around the middle of 2014 ) ...

basically i trashed it , like i did in the video for all of it's reasonable short life , i fed it CDs and DVDs , crammed it with paper , plastic , sticking paper etc i did it all because i had confidence ' the beast ' could take it ...

it couldn't , loading it with 12 sheets of paper something went !

i asked a friend if they thought they could fix it , in the seconds it took to do so i bought another [ hatefully impatient consumer that i am ] my friend did manage to fix it so i said he could keep it

the interesting thing he told me was that the ' guts ' of ' the beast ' are near indestructible , but the foundation holding them are fairly frail plastic , so though the guts can take it the foundations can't

the point and the lesson being " Just because you can " doesn't mean you have to ...

seriously i have got through so many shredders through unrealistic expectations i've made my mind up to make this one ( ' the beast v.2 ' ) last

this one most certainly will ( paper CDs/ DVDs etc everything you might realistically need to shred ), if you treat it right

( i continue to ) hope this helps

( and again ) regards to all :-DDD

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what's needed, 4 May 2013
This review is from: AmazonBasics 7- to 8-Sheet Strip Cut Shredder with CD Shred (Office Product)
We ordered this to shred basic household bills etc and use it regularly as our shredded paper is also used as bunny bedding. As long as you are patient and can take the time to shred 6-8 sheets max at a time, this does the job. If we werent using the shredder for bunny bedding, I would probably use cross cut if something confidential needed to be thrown out as the pieces are quite large and I imagine would be easy to put back together if someone really needed to. Luckily our shreddings then get chewed pood and peed on so confidentiality isnt an issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value shredder., 14 Nov. 2012
When my old,branded shredder broke down,my first inclination was to replace it with a well known make.However, after reading positive reviews for the AmazonBasics 12-sheet Cross-Cut Shredder,I decided to give it a try.
when it arrived,I was surprised at how sturdy and stable it was compared with my previous machine,which was lightweight and fell over easily.This machine appears very well made and the reasonably sized collection box, which has an inspection window, provides a firm base.
I particularly liked the fact that the shredder has an inbuilt feature which rendered it inoperable when removed from the collection box,as the heavy duty cutters could cause your fingers some serious damage if you forgot to unplug it first.
Although it is supposed to shred 12 sheets at a time,this relates to thinner,lesser grade paper.Using normal higher grade paper I tend to shred a maximum of 5-6 sheets at a time,which the machine handles quite well without jamming or over-heating.I think it is also important to regularly lubricate the shredder to esure it continues to run smoothly and quietly,which was something I neglected on the previous machine and probably helped its demise.
I would have no hesiation in recommending this shredder for home or small office use

4.0 out of 5 stars A neat shredder, 15 July 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We are regularly told in the news about the rise of fraud and stolen identities and that we should be securely destroying any letters and documents that contain names and addresses and so on. The Amazon Basics Shredder does just that, since its cross shredding renders documents unreadable. It also shreds credit cards and CDs/DVDs, although I haven't used it for this yet and therefore cannot comment on its performance. However, at less than fifty pounds this shredder will be a sensible purchase for many households looking for quick and cost effective means of destroying private documents.

3.0 out of 5 stars this powerful shredder is fine for me but maybe not everyone, 7 Oct. 2012
This shredder is powerful and does 'what it says on the tin' but it is noisy and tricky to empty; you have to lift the heavy top off which means bits of paper fall everywhere. It's difficult to carry even a metre as it's top heavy with no handles. Th paper opening is rather small which is a pain if you have lots of paper to shred (I had a backlog to start with); I realise this is a safety feature but I am a responsible adult with no long hair, tie, floaty sleeves or small children. So for a man's small office it's perfect but if you are not strong or don't like the noise, maybe not.

4.0 out of 5 stars Omnivorous, 2 Jun. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well, this is a bit of a beast. Been feeding it a varied diet for a week or two now and no signs of indigestion yet. However, I have managed to jam it a couple of times which I was rather surprised by.

The first time was a mixture of paper and card but I didn't think it was particularly thick. Anyway, no problems - simply reversed the shredder, took a couple of sheets out and away it went again.

Let's see - what else have I tried? A little booklet with a couple of staples in it - no problems there at all.

A DVD - straight through. I was kind of expecting some horrible grunchy noises but no - pretty much the same as paper.

A credit card. Actually, this was the second time I managed to jam it. I was a bit mystified by that, but again I just reversed it out, trimmed it a bit and tried again - successfully.

Of course, the bin is now filled with a mixture of paper, DVD and credit card so I can't really recycle the contents, but obviously I could be a little more selective.

Being a cross-cut shredder, what comes out of it really isn't going to be stuck back together any time soon - so if you happen to be in a US embassy somewhere and you need to leave in a hurry, this is probably a good bet.

There are a few 'nevers' of course:

"Never shred large paper clips, window or insulated envelopes, continuous forms, newsprint, bound pages (in [sic] example: notepads, checkbooks, magazines, etc...), transparencies, laminated documents, cardboard, any items with adhesives, hard materials or plastic (except Credit Cards and CDs)."

So small paper clips are o.k. - well, small staples go through with no problems so why not small paper clips?

It really does feel like a quality bit of kit - very solidly made and quite a weight. There is a window in the side of the bin so you can see how full it is getting. I noticed that this window was actually screwed - rather than glued - in place. I know it's a little thing but it just seemed to suggest a rather better quality than one might have expected for the price.

So, yes, overall I think this is a practical and useful bit of kit at a good price.

1.0 out of 5 stars Im very disappointed that I bought this shredder, 6 Jan. 2014
I am disappointed that I listened to the good reviews and took less notice of the bad. I wasnt particularly concerned that it might be heavy or noisy I just wanted to buy a reliable shredder. It was noisy and quite heavy but ok to move. I managed to shred one full basket and was being very careful with it only shredding up to 4 sheets at a time and no staples. I stopped for a while and emptied the basket. When starting again it jammed on the first two pieces of paper. The reverse didnt release the jam. It then said that the paper was misaligned which it wasnt and then said it was full which it wasnt(!) it then stopped working completely. I turned off for an hour but still it didnt work. I left it overnight but the next day it still didnt work. Maybe I was just unlucky but I didnt misuse it and now wish I hadnt bought it.

Update 8/1/14 - I contacted Amazon about this faulty shredder and they couldnt have been more helpful. I can return the faulty shredder foc and will receive a replacement. I just hope I have better luck this time!

Update 6/8/14 - received the new shredder but due to a house move have not tried it until today. It does not work at all!! It says misaligned and whatever I do it wont work. I have to go out now and dont have time to contact Amazon as yet but I dont think I will bother trying another of these again anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars shredtastic, 26 July 2012
D. Thurgood "dan.tee" (Liverpool Uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've often wondered whether I'm the kind of person who would buy a shredder. Sure, I've experimented with ripping important documents into tiny shreds, separating said shred into different bins to defeat even the most determined bin-diving identity thief; I've even purchased 'shredding scissors' with four blades that could only manage till receipts. But was I really the kind of person whose documents were really in dire need of shredding? Was there any risk to national security if my printouts went walkabouts? Well, let's face it, probably not. But when this delicious destroyer of documents came up for review, my inner shredder woke up and demanded that I click and request it.

At first, I was sceptical. What exactly was I going to shred? And I'm sorry, but who the heck needs to shred CDs?! Oh, yes, this little baby can devour them lustily, spitting out strips of plastic and little floaty shreds of foil into its handy bin. It shreds bank cards too - now that is vaguely useful. So what is it that I love about this device? Is it the way that the shredder itself can fit onto almost any bin, thanks to its extendable edge, meaning that diehard shredding fans can mount it onto a much higher capacity bin than the little 5 litre or so one that it comes with? Or is it the fantastic noise it makes as it drags up to 8 sheets of A4 to their inevitable doom? No, it has to be the fact that it can live in standby mode, lurking just out of sight beneath my desk, ready for any task of destruction that I might send its way. Oh yes, just drop something into the slot and wham! It's shredded.

So what am I shredding? Anything with a customer's contact details on, once they've ceased to be my customer (data protection for those who want to be REALLY certain...). Anything with my bank details on. Any old bills with my address on. Random bits of paper when I'm bored and need brief but exhilarating distraction.

That's it really. I'm very happy to have joined the worldwide fraternity of men and women who can shred documents on demand. Available in any colour you like as long as it's black.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shred, Bend and Snap, 21 Jun. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
At first glance, an excellent product with extra functions at a fraction of the cost of the top brands. Amazon Basics have never disappointed me, and this is not an exception. However, when shredding a debit card, I found that it didn't quite shred it, it more like perforated and bent it. The CD slot works very well by breaking the CD into three pieces. Shredding paper is nice and efficient, but as with every shredder I have ever used, doesn't run as well with the maximum number of sheets. So, apart from shredding cards (which is done in the centre of the main shredding slot), I am more than happy with this.