4.0 out of 5 stars Does what's needed
Published 23 months ago by Sherina

3.0 out of 5 stars AmazonBasics 8-Sheet Strip Cut Shredder
this shredder is fine for paper documents but jams when trying to shred plastic credit card and very difficult to pull the card back out of the machine. In fact I could not do it and had to get a man to do it for me. I was worried that that might damage the shredder but it seems to be working fine on paper. I would not like to try another credit card.
Published on 30 Sept. 2012 by A Reader

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what's needed, 4 May 2013
This review is from: AmazonBasics 7- to 8-Sheet Strip Cut Shredder with CD Shred (Office Product)
We ordered this to shred basic household bills etc and use it regularly as our shredded paper is also used as bunny bedding. As long as you are patient and can take the time to shred 6-8 sheets max at a time, this does the job. If we werent using the shredder for bunny bedding, I would probably use cross cut if something confidential needed to be thrown out as the pieces are quite large and I imagine would be easy to put back together if someone really needed to. Luckily our shreddings then get chewed pood and peed on so confidentiality isnt an issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars shredtastic, 26 July 2012
D. Thurgood "dan.tee" (Liverpool Uk) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've often wondered whether I'm the kind of person who would buy a shredder. Sure, I've experimented with ripping important documents into tiny shreds, separating said shred into different bins to defeat even the most determined bin-diving identity thief; I've even purchased 'shredding scissors' with four blades that could only manage till receipts. But was I really the kind of person whose documents were really in dire need of shredding? Was there any risk to national security if my printouts went walkabouts? Well, let's face it, probably not. But when this delicious destroyer of documents came up for review, my inner shredder woke up and demanded that I click and request it.

At first, I was sceptical. What exactly was I going to shred? And I'm sorry, but who the heck needs to shred CDs?! Oh, yes, this little baby can devour them lustily, spitting out strips of plastic and little floaty shreds of foil into its handy bin. It shreds bank cards too - now that is vaguely useful. So what is it that I love about this device? Is it the way that the shredder itself can fit onto almost any bin, thanks to its extendable edge, meaning that diehard shredding fans can mount it onto a much higher capacity bin than the little 5 litre or so one that it comes with? Or is it the fantastic noise it makes as it drags up to 8 sheets of A4 to their inevitable doom? No, it has to be the fact that it can live in standby mode, lurking just out of sight beneath my desk, ready for any task of destruction that I might send its way. Oh yes, just drop something into the slot and wham! It's shredded.

So what am I shredding? Anything with a customer's contact details on, once they've ceased to be my customer (data protection for those who want to be REALLY certain...). Anything with my bank details on. Any old bills with my address on. Random bits of paper when I'm bored and need brief but exhilarating distraction.

That's it really. I'm very happy to have joined the worldwide fraternity of men and women who can shred documents on demand. Available in any colour you like as long as it's black.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shred, Bend and Snap, 21 Jun. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
At first glance, an excellent product with extra functions at a fraction of the cost of the top brands. Amazon Basics have never disappointed me, and this is not an exception. However, when shredding a debit card, I found that it didn't quite shred it, it more like perforated and bent it. The CD slot works very well by breaking the CD into three pieces. Shredding paper is nice and efficient, but as with every shredder I have ever used, doesn't run as well with the maximum number of sheets. So, apart from shredding cards (which is done in the centre of the main shredding slot), I am more than happy with this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the money, 19 Jun. 2012
Debs "Little Chef" (London UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This seems to be a pretty good shredder for the money. My first thoughts on trying it out were that it seems very quiet compared to other shredders I have used. Obviously it's not going to be silent due to the nature of shredding, but the motor is fairly subdued. The design is compact and it will tuck away neatly into a relatively small space. Obviously the counter-side to this is that the basket is small so you will have to empty it fairly often. It says that it shreds 8 sheets of paper at a time so I tested this, and sure enough, it handled the 8 sheets without any problems. I have not yet tested it on CDs or credit cards as I don't have any lying around that I want to destroy, but as soon as the opportunity arises, I will try these and add an update to this review. It shreds into strips rather then cross-cutting the paper, and the strips are reasonably wide; I think this is fine for most shredding but if you wanted something ultra-secure, then you might prefer a cross-cutting shredder. It is easy to use and, although it comes with an instruction manual, I certainly did not have to read it. However, while I am on the topic of the manual, I will say that it is detailed and clearly-written and even offers extra tips like how to deal with paper jams that can't be sorted out the usual way. All in all, this seems excellent value for money and will probably serve the average household purposes.

Edited to add that I have now tested it on CDs (one at a time) and while it does indeed shred them, it doesn't enjoy doing so! Two CDs were shredded - the first was fine but the second jammed and needed to be removed. Still, how often does one need to shred CDs?

3.0 out of 5 stars AmazonBasics 8-Sheet Strip Cut Shredder, 30 Sept. 2012

2.0 out of 5 stars Jammed Very Quickly, 15 Jun. 2012
Michael Scott "www.nowillpowerrequired.co.uk" (Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Ok now I know this is a budget product but ultimately if you pay for something it must be able to do the job.

Now this states that it can cut 8 sheets at a time but I am sorry it just can't !

I put through a few bills (around 5 pages each) and it slowed down to the point it sounded like the motor was going to burn on it, and then it just jammed to the point I was hitting reverse and covering the kitchen floor in paper.

For shredding one or two pages of A4 paper then this is fine but don't start putting through envelopes and multi pages as it just isn't man enough for the job.

Not bad for the price but can't recommend you purchase.

2.0 out of 5 stars Big shredding, 27 Dec. 2012
Shredder cuts well but only one way and in too big strips. Not small enough for hiding text and protecting your privacy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the home office, 28 Jun. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Despite being pitched as a basic shredder, this product looks good and the bin has a reasonable capacity for the small or home office. It also does the job quickly. At first it appears a little less robust than others as the machine sits loosely over a bin, but this simplicity is a bonus as it makes it easy to empty without mess. My previous shredder was more compact and apparently robust, but it was harder to see when it was full and when full shredders have a tendency to jam as paper in the bin gets pulled back into the machine. Unfortunately, it is a strip cut rather than a confetti shredder and so documents are not destroyed as completely as some might like.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 27 Jun. 2012
S. Bentley "stuarthoratiobentley" (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Able to take up to 8 sheets and capable of dealing with card and credit cards, this shredder is rather useful. Obviously if you've got reams of stuff to shred it will take a while, but if you're just wanted to get rid of bank statements and bits and pieces it does a nice job. Takes up only a small amount of room, needs to be plugged in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Robust and good value, 21 Aug. 2014
I bought this ages ago, I tend to be a bit lazy and not shred stuff as I need to but save it all up and do it all at once- you know exactly what the instructions say you are not meant to do. I've shredded stuff for hours on more than one occasion and the shredder has never overheated or broken, even so I probably should treat it a little better. It has jammed up a couple of times mildly but its been easy enough to remove the paper.

Should mine die then I would definitely buy another as we use all our paper for pet bedding.