Format: DVD|Change

As far as the film goes, I don't think it needs an introduction from me; there are plenty of reviews for that elsewhere. All I will say is that if you are not familiar with it, this is a psychedelic comedy/fantasy heavily larded with classic Beatles songs and some truly iconic animation work that dates very well indeed. I never had the privilege of seeing the remastered dvd edition of this film, but as regards the blu ray I can honestly say it is outstanding. The colours are incredible, far brighter than I remember on my first viewing of the film (and I watched this at the cinema as a child). The painstaking restoration has paid off and this is a work of art.

The sound quality was not quite as much improved, I think, but I don't have a 5.1 system and can only say what it sounded like on a standard stereo set-up. On that basis, it was better than my old videotape by far, but on some tracks could have been improved - there was a noticeable variation in quality. The dialogue, on the other hand, was crisper and clearer than before.

The edition comes in a card slipcase which is nicely decorated with images of the Fab Four from the movie and the interior of the Yellow Submarine, but for something I want to treasure as much as this, I would have preferred a hard case. It includes a nice booklet with lots of illustrations, four film cells and some cute stickers. The extras are an audio commentary by John Coates and Heinz Edelmann; the Mod Odyssey featurette on the making of the film; the original theatrical trailer; three storyboarded sequences, including two never used; original pencil drawings, behind the scenes photos, and interviews with the crew and vocal performers. It claims to be All Region. Sound comes in PCM Stereo, Original Mono, 5.1 in English, German and Italian. Subtitles in English, German, Dutch, Finnish, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Finnish and Polish.
on 2 July 2012
A great improvement on my old DVD, colours more psychedelic and sound track much improved. Sound balance is a little exaggerated at times with overly dramatic 'swooping' effects but overall very happy with the Blu-ray edition.
on 28 August 2015
Had it lasted longer, it would have been not a 5 stars film. But it found the perfect balance between bizarre and fun, experimentation and entertainment, without resulting in a dated film. It is in fact still innovative and I think it still manages to impress and create a dreamy and surrounding atmosphere even now, after decades of CGI and digital fx.
And the music really works both in itself and as soundtrack
on 19 June 2012
Superbly restored version of this "1960's" classic animation.,
Features crisp clear "Beatles"/"George Martin" soundtrack.
Captures the spirit of the decade when we thought anything was possible.?
on 5 July 2015
One of my all time favourite films. Seems to be a really good and clean transfer to Blu-ray, with good restored original sound - with no THX problems. Massively surreal, beautiful story & great animation - and made by one of the most talented bands of all time. And if you can feel it, Yellow Submarine has real spiritual depth.
If you don't have the album already the inspiration for The Yellow Submarine is the Album 'Sargent Peppers Lonely Heart Club Band' which every person who likes this needs to listen to. The Yellow Submarine album is basically the songs from the film and has a few standouts not on Sargent Pepper - eg 'Yellow Submarine', 'Nowhere Man', and 'Bulldog'. (there are two versions with different track lists - the SongTrack version has Nowhere Man and other extra Beatles tracks, while the original version maybe has a better order and the orchestral pieces)
on 9 February 2016
I am just knocked out by the Picture Quality and the FANTASTIC....Audio Experience!
I purchased the original DVD some years back, which was good, but THIS one on Blu-Ray is absolutely unbelievable!
The restoration of the animation cells for the film is incredible and the viewing experience? You will have to buy your own copy,
to see / hear for yourself!
on 24 April 2016
I'd forgotten just how wonderful this film is. Full of psychedelic imagery, a beautifully surreal storyline & great music & songs all in one fantastic adventure. Even though it's not the actual Beatles supplying the voices of the Beatle characters, this is a dvd to love & watch time & time again...!
on 6 February 2014
pixar and dreamworks movies are fun to watch but you can`t beat good old fashioned animation and this is one of the best animated films ever. funny at times, a bit creepy/spooky at others. and ofcourse, beatles songs thrown in to boot.
on 3 February 2014
I will never forget growing up watching this as a kid. I loved the songs, the colours the monsters. I am sure it is directly turning me into the total loony I have turned into now in adulthood. I don't actually have a copy of this myself but I will be purchasing one now that I know it is available on Blu-ray. Then I will subject my nieces to it and they will benefit from the same insanity that I did.

This movie is very responsible for my art. I still draw the same types of monsters and swirly crazy stuff in my pictures, though they are all black now. The art in this movie is extremely crazy and very entertaining. It has stayed with me all these years.

I would recommend this great little number to anyone who either likes the beetles or is just looking for a babysitter for your little ones. There is nothing offensive in this and is quite safe to put a child in front of. its full of very wacky humour and colourful sequences, some can make you very dizzy so be warned. Some parts can be very flashy too.

its about a bunch of lads (Beetles band) making their way through an adventure to help wake up Sargent peppers lonely hearts club band due to the repressive after affects of the blue meanies, its totally nuts. The blue meanies are so funny its unreal.

There is lots of classic beetles numbers to sing along to and is for kids and adults alike....damn it now I want to watch it again.

Ablueterate them!!!
on 19 September 2013
I adore this film and is one of the few films I can watch again and again. I had the DVD, but the reviews for the Blu Ray were so positive I bought this when the price dropped. I am glad I did, the reproduction is virtually faultless. My boys (8 down to 1) are captivated by it and appreciate the wit, songs and its visual delights. Priceless and timeless film. Thoroughly recommended.