4.0 out of 5 stars Good
I really liked this book but I have to disagree about the ice cream van' s, there are plenty of them that come round our area in the summer playing tunes that I remember from the 70s.
Published 19 months ago by chopsuey57

1.0 out of 5 stars Did I really pay good money for this?
Published 20 months ago by Andrew Letby

1.0 out of 5 stars Did I really pay good money for this?, 22 Jan 2013
This review is from: 1970s Childhood: From Glam Rock to Happy Days (Kindle Edition)
If this had been a free book or under 1.00 I would have been disappointed. To charge over 5.00 is scandalous! The first half is presuambly taken direct from a school jotter dating from the period in question. The second half is nothing more than a series of lists, of items such as chocolate bars, TV programmes and record titles! Some wonderful howlers too - apparently UK and Iceland solved the Cold War in 1971!

2.0 out of 5 stars the seventies in list form, 2 Jan 2013
This boook covers a decade of exciting social, political, musical and fashion development Mr Tait grew up duringthis time but still gives the views he held at the start of the decade. it is superficial and I had to skip the interminable lists of number 1 hits. It is also ridiculously repetitive and limited in scope. There is such a wealth of information on this decade available its a shame no depth or characterisation was given. Wasted opportunity.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good idea disappointingly realised, 9 Dec 2011
I count myself as lucky enough to have had "A 1970s Childhood" and have my own meories of most of the things listed in this book. However, I have used in the word "listed" deliberately...this is largely a book of lists - a large proportion of the "music" chapter is entirely devoted to number one records of the 1970s, and there are various other lists including films from each year of the 70s, TV shows, even ice lollies. All these things are available for free on the internet, and probably from your own memory too. What isn't available is the author's own personal experiences, and although the book does include a few of these, there were not enough to engage my interest. I was expecting more of an autobiography which would allow seeming it seemed like more of a stream of consciousness; and as soon as the author had dispensed with home and school, he seemed to have very little to say on any other subjects and a lot of the book read like filler. There are also some annoying mistakes, such as referring to "Sebastian Cole" as setting a new world mile record. I am sure that this particular error is not the author's, but the lack of attention to detail by the typesetter/printer/whoever is unfortunately symptomatic of the whole book. On the whole, although I wouldn't recommend this as a book, I'm sure if I were to meet the author in a pub, we could keep each other entertained all night with stories of our 70s Childhoods, both of which were spent in Devon.

If the author is reading this, I apologise for my negativity. I have every respect for anyone who has the ability to write for a living.

1.0 out of 5 stars Evocative it is not, 2 Jan 2014
Joseph Bennett "Pedantic Progger" (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
Some of the positive reviews here include the word 'evocative', which is precisely what this book is not. As a child of the seventies, I hoped that I would be transported back to the sounds and smells of that decade, with thoughtful, maybe wistful, descriptions of how time passed in hazy domestic simplicity while the serious, adult world edged closer to atomic self-destruction. Instead, this memoir is filled with mundane statements like 'We always seemed to be out and about doing something' and 'We certainly travelled far and wide in our Viva'. The problem, I'm afraid, is that Derek Tait is not proficient enough a writer to pull off this kind of narrative; he fails to create any relationship with his readers because he lacks the skills to connect his particular childhood with the decade that we all shared as children. It was an extraordinary time, but he does not capture that. My mother gave me this as a Christmas present, with a 'Clunky Writing Style' warning attached. I tried to finish it, but could not get past Chapter 7, 'Music', in which Tait does little more than list the number ones for each year. Reducing one of the most flamboyant, creative and experimental periods in musical history to a simple roll call is criminal!!!!! (he also uses far too many exclamation marks). Sorry, mum.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time, 10 Oct 2013
Absolute drivel, could have been written by an eleven year old as a school project, and marked down for idly replicating lists. Please don't waste your time

2.0 out of 5 stars Dull, dull, dull!, 22 Oct 2013
It starts off quite well when it's autobiographical but then just degenerates into a boring list of 70's cliches. Not particularly well written either as the writing has no style at all. I gave up at the halfway point.

2.0 out of 5 stars The devil's in the detail, 25 Nov 2011
The whole point, surely, of a book that allows one to revisit one's childhood lies in the author's ability to recall details that we ourselves have forgotten or only half remember. If we could recall it all, we wouldn't need to buy a book. We want our memories jogged so that the past will be conjured up for us again, will live once more, if only in our nostalgic moments. Details, therefore, are all important. Hearing things named gives them life. Disappointing, then, that in the very first chapter the author mentions "Space Monkeys" - apparently little shrimp like things that you hatched in water. I am a child of the seventies, but the name "Space Monkeys" means nothing to me. The name "Sea Monkeys", on the other hand, has plenty of resonance. Sea Monkeys were indeed little shrimp like things that you sent off for in the mail. Get the details right please!

3.0 out of 5 stars nostalgia overdose!!!, 27 Jun 2014
Great for a trip down memory lane and a dose of nostalgia, so many things you forget and yet loved so much. It's a bit repetitive in places and drops into lists in some parts. Overall an interesting read and I wish I could relive those 70s days again.

3.0 out of 5 stars My childhood, 7 July 2014
Janet (Nottinghamshire, England) - See all my reviews
Lots of things I remember and I would rather forget as too embarrassing ie clothes and 'pop' groups.

1.0 out of 5 stars 1970s childhood from glam rock to happy days, 15 Sep 2013
Very repetitive each subject is repeated in a later chapters making you think you have already read the chapter before