5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value
I've owned a lot of headsets over the years, some costing a lot of money.

Published 20 months ago by B Knox

1.0 out of 5 stars Good start, bad finish.
Published 10 months ago by Ollie

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value, 21 April 2013
B Knox "NoX" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Plantronics 86050-05 Gamecom 380 Gaming Headset (Personal Computers)
I've owned a lot of headsets over the years, some costing a lot of money.

I bought these for use with games, skype and some video commenteries i do and they are really good quality. The mic is very clear and my voice comes across nicely thorugh it while the sound quality is also very good in the headset itself. I have owned the Fatal1ty headet by creative before this one and this headsent beats it in all departments for me. The headset sits on my head very comnfortably and adjusts well to the shape of my fairly big head. They earphones are very copmfortable and produce excellent sound quality. The is a mic mute button situated near the volume control on the back of the left earphone and there is also a movable mic arm that is sturdy and can easily be moved in and out of talking position. It takes a little getting used to using the mic mute button and controls where they are if your used to the usual cable located ones but once you are used to it i find it to be much better having them where they are.

The build quality is solid; they have padding for the ears and the top of the head and have a sturdy feel to them. It is worth noting the cable is not a usb one, this is one is split into a mic cable and one for the speakers so plug these straight into your sound card. Thankfully i have a pretty good soundcard so this works nicely for me.

I paid the £20 price for these and recieved them 2 days later on super saver delivery which was great! As a nod to the comfort levels of them i went to have a 1 hour go of DayZ one night and ended up playing all night for around 5 hours and didnt even notice the headset (also with glasses on), if in fact all i noticed was that they kept my ears warm and the sound quality was brilliant, i heard noises i hadnt even noticed before! The mic was great too and everyone could here me clearly (although i turned up the mic in Windows 7 and tested it a fair bit before i played).

For the price this is an excellent headset that could easily cost a lot more, unless you want a 7.1 ultra high-quality headset this is the best possible value. It performs as well if not better than many much dearer headsets and is all you need for gaming and skype/vblogging etc. unless you 'need' surround sound.

5/5 - excellent headset at a great price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Plantronics Gamecom 380 PC headset, 15 Mar 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I have previously owned a few pairs of Plantronics headsets , of which one had a surround sound USB connecter and that was fine but if you like me have a good sound card that enables headphone jacks and mic jacks then the USB is useless. It is for this reason I opted for the 380's as they have 2 jack plugs that fit directly into my sound card an Asus Xonar Audio card. I have recently broken my StealSeries 7H headphones that I must say gave excellent sound quality, however they did cost £90 and you would expect good sound for that price. So after spending out constantly on varies headphones as I'm heavy handed I thought I would try the Plantronics Gamecom 380 and they were a surprise. I didn't think I was going to enjoy my experience with them coming off of having a pair of StealSeries 7H and now I'm wondering why the hell I sunk so much money into those as the 380s do everything right that 90% of your gaming population is going to care about: everything works as advertised, set up was fall-off-a-log simple, the microphone works, and is very, very clear and the headset is comfortable for long gaming sessions fits very well over my elephant ears and allows me to wear my glasses in comfort which is not what I can say about many other headphones. For the price they are excellent the sound is crystal clear and very directional in game. The 380s give some of the big names a real run for their money. That said, you really get your money's worth if you're a PC gamer on a budget.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can always count on Plantronics, 15 July 2012
I've had Plantronics headsets before, so I knew these would be good. Good quality sound (both input & output). They're super comfortable; you can adjust them in multiple ways for the perfect fit. My husband was very impressed when these came in the post. I can't wait to customise mine with glitter & rhinestones! Game on!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for so little cost, 26 Sep 2012
I've purchased over the last 6 months 5 headsets (Yes, almost 1 a month) off of Amazon. Only 1 of those 5 have been replaced due to breaking, the rest have been replaced due to poor sound quality or discomfort. I almost didn't purchase these based on price and the fact that many others In this price range (£20) have been of poor sound quality but with these that Is not the case at all.

Firstly these are by very comfortable even for me with my big head and rather large ears. They don't sit too tight on my head like other pairs have done and they also fit over my ears unlike previous headsets. Not fitting over my ears fully left me uncomfortable after maybe 50-60 minutes of wearing them and left a gap which allowed noise from other sources to distract and annoy me (When I am gaming I don't want to hear the TV) which was my biggest gripe with other headsets.

The sound quality from these Is almost flawless and without a doubt superior to most other headsets In the same price range. Bass Is deep and punchy even at high volume levels whilst still keeping voice clarity throughout the volume range. This headset uses 2 jack plugs connectors for the headset and the attached microphone.

Instead of having a volume controller In the cable this has 1 located on the left speaker along side a mute microphone button which compared to my previous headsets is fantastic as I used to catch the controller all the time when I changed position.

I would highly recommend these to anyone who wants exceptional sound quality for gaming, listening to music or watching a film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing sound quality, comfortable, long - lasting and cheap!, 30 Dec 2013
Despite other customer reviews talking about poor to average sound quality and discomfort, I absolutely despise their opinions and in regard to this headset, I believe they are of outstanding quality. Listening to music and playing video - games is very worthwhile and fulfilling with the extraordinary sound quality. Additionally, these Plantronics 380 Gaming headset has been made even more efficient with a volume control on the side of one of the ear cups, also including a microphone control. I've already had many compliments about the sound quality of the microphone that comes as part of this headset and I sound perfectly clear using software such as Teamspeak and Skype. As far as comfort goes, I can wear these all day long with no discomfort at all, unless placed on my ears in an odd way. You can adjust them to fit your head and ears. The cushions inside the ear cups are soft enough for my liking. It makes my gaming experiences even more enjoyable and for such a cheap price I would highly recommend this product for anyone! You don't even need to use the microphone, you can just pull it up out of the way.

GREAT VALUE!

1.0 out of 5 stars Good start, bad finish., 19 Feb 2014
I bought this as I was in need of a new headset for my gaming PC, the reviews on here looked pretty reasonable so I thought I'd give it a try. 3 days later it arrived, and I gave it a test run on a few games and I have to say the sound quality was superb, created good immersion within games. So later I tried to use it to speak to other people, but they all complained that they couldn't hear me that well and that I was quiet. The mic was struggling to pick my voice up, albeit being millimetres away from my mouth, so a few settings later I boosted it to make sure I could be heard properly, this worked for a few days... Then all of a sudden it just stopped working, the mic couldn't pick up my voice at all, it could just about hear me tapping the mic, and comparing it to my other mics, it was definitely this microphones problem as they all worked fine. Have a feeling I may have recieved a faulty one, but just a warning to people considering buying this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for a budget headset., 5 May 2012
A. Stasiak "Mr DC" (Darlington, UK) - See all my reviews
I'm a big fan of Plantronics headsets and have been using them in one form or another for many years. I've tried other headsets (Creatives fatal1ty gaming headset for example) but none are as comfy or offer the same performance as the plantronic range. I bought these as a cheaper replacement set for a GameCom 367 PC gaming headset which had been dropped once to often. I will be honest..I do plan to pick up another GameCom 367 headset (or better) in the near future as they really do out perform the 380 gaming headset soundwise...and thats important to me...but dont let that put you off.

Build wise, I'm really impressed with the 380 headset. It's quite compact in comparison to other models and certainly seems a lot stronger in the build (though time will tell). The sound quality is perfectly acceptable for most people...but I'm just a bit of a snob in that area.

In all honesty...the 380 is ideal for the mobile gamer. Someone who has a laptop (for instance) or vists a lot of LAN partys. It looks like it can take a knock or two and performs well. If you are looking for a gaming headset thats going to be put in a bag and carried around but want to keep it cheap...then this is ideal. This is probably how I'll use the headset. If, however, you want a set thats just going to remain attached to a desktop PC thats never going to go anywhere...I'd recommend something like the Gamecon 367..or better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressed...., 10 Oct 2012
I work from home, and spend a lot of time on conference calls, using a softphone on my laptop. I got fed up using a little Bluetooth earpiece, and thought I'd try a headset. I first got a Microsoft one, but the earpieces were too small and uncomfortable, so I ordered this Plantronics one. While waiting, I used my son's Turtle Beach gaming headset, and was impressed with that, my ears fitted inside the cups nicely. Looking at the picture of this headset, I was concerned by the shape, I thought the earpieces might be a little short, and give me the same problem as the Microsoft headset, but no, they are plenty big enough. Sound is good, no problem setting up. I can spend a considerable time on calls now with no discomfort, and clearly hear everything on the call (I couldn't with the Bluetooth earpiece). The only thing I would say is that these let in a little more ambient noise than the Turtle Beach set, and I think that is likely to be due to the earpiece shape, and the fact that this headset does not grip so tightly - but then that is one reason it is comfortable. Also, the TB set is about £40, this was less than half the price. No contest.

4.0 out of 5 stars This headset it great. i have had this for over a year ..., 30 Jun 2014
This headset it great. i have had this for over a year now and have never had any issues. both microphone and speaker quality is great. it is also very light and comfortable and at the same time it feels sturdy. unfortunately with my new computer the old 3.5mm analogue connectors pick up lots of interference from the computer which wouldn't be a problem if this was a USB headset. if you don't think this will be a problem for you then i would defiantly recommend them but if you are having the same problem you should consider a USB headset. I personally am going to get the 7.1 surround sound version of this headset which uses a USB connector,

5.0 out of 5 stars Good headset + FREE GAME!, 17 Jan 2013