5.0 out of 5 stars A truly great read.
I opened this book in a book shop and could not believe I was reading about a young girls ordeal in the mother and baby home. I too was in Loretto Convent in 1968 as a 17year FALLEN
Published on 2 Sep 2012 by lesley

3.0 out of 5 stars I was at school with the author, hence my ...
I was at school with the author, hence my interest in the book. As with the films "The Magdalene Sisters" and "Philomena" it tells of the behind the scenes anguish of young girls "in trouble" in the early "swinging 60's", and the standards and attitudes of the time. Angela's treatment by her parents and the nuns is truly shocking. It...
Published 1 month ago by avid reader

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly great read., 2 Sep 2012
women. I was transported to a time in my life which I would rather not have revisited. My story is different to Angela's but the experience in the Convent was the same. Well done for writing the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories...., 9 Mar 2014
I read this book with great interest. I was at the same mother and baby home two years after the author and remember many of the hardships the young mothers had to undergo. I was a very naive 17 year old and my mother had just died. This book brought many memories back to me and what Angela said rang very true. I also recognised some of the nuns mentioned which made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I was lucky as I refused to have my baby adopted and left the convent just before Christmas. My heart bled for Angela - you had to be very strong indeed to keep your baby particularly remembering how unkind and judgemental society was in the '60's towards Unmarried mothers. My darling son, now 47, is also reading this book - it was part of his history too. I was lucky in that I went on to have a very happy marriage and three more children. Thank you so much Angela for writing this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing but important., 15 Mar 2012
I read this book in a matter of hours because the story was just so compelling. This book is important in the fact that it shows us the horror of what is was to be an unmarried Catholic girl in the 1960's. Although some sections of the book are hard to read due to the sheer awfulness that was bestowed upon the young girls sent to the convent for being pregnant, we have to remember that this is a true story and that these young girls suffered horrifically , and that we are the lucky ones as we are only reading about it.

Read this book, if only to learn about how lucky women are in the UK in the year 2012, as it was only over 50 years ago that this true story is set. And you won't believe that what you are reading really happened.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read - you won't be able to put the book down, 13 Jun 2012
J. Kisseih (Surrey, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This book was so interesting and riveting. It brought tears to my eyes on more than a couple of occasions. Some people refer to the "old days" with a fondness as if they were better than modern times but obviously in many ways this is not the case - generally few young women would be ostracised these days for having a child out of wedlock (and that's how it should be). Also in my opinion it was more shameful that many young men in those days seemed to think nothing of deserting the poor pregnant girl to be alienated and ostracised by all. I'm so glad Angela met such a wonderful man in her husband - he really is a gem and was totally understanding at all times when it came to Angela meeting her son later in life. Incidentally this book has no book review recommendations on the back which sometimes makes me wonder if it's worth reading but I shall ignore that in future as this book is definitely a must-read by lovers of biographies.

5.0 out of 5 stars A page turner, 17 Mar 2012
Couldn't put this book down and I felt I really knew the author by the end. It was a sad reminder of how badly unmarried mothers were treated in the early sixties and how cruel the nuns were to these girls and their babies. I think all Catholics should read this book.It makes one wonder how many lives were ruined by these so called women of God. It would be interesting to know when the convent actually closed or stopped taking unmarried mothers in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!, 23 April 2012
J. MacColl "baby" (scotland) - See all my reviews
This book for me was such an eye opener, my mum had often told me of when she was young and how different things were regarding being an unmarried mother.... albeit she was born in 1962.

I was totally swept up into this book and devoured it over a weekend - I will certainly hold onto this book and give it another read in the future. You really feel Angela's pain in the way she writes a whole life consumed by guilt and longing.

I think it might even be one to let my daughters read in a few years.. yes, the world has changed but having a baby is so massive "don't let a man near you" might not be strong enough words for a teenager this book certainly should make the message clear of the consequences, it only takes one time.

Fantastic and an absolute must read!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable story, 5 May 2012
This review is from: The Baby Laundry for Unmarried Mothers (Kindle Edition)
This book really got to me. The way unmarried pregnant girls were treated in the 60s was shocking. I found the part where her son finds her particularly poignant and moving. An excellent book which certainly moved me. Read it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Social History, 22 April 2012
These true stories of the way unmarried mothers were treated are of great interest, as were early stories of the workhouse system adoption and child migration which was virtually an extension of slavery and continued until 1967. The books are available at a reduced price and the service first class, I have only bought books on this subject so far, but would not hesitate to buy anything else if I needed to.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Baby Laundry, 20 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Baby Laundry for Unmarried Mothers (Kindle Edition)
I was a young teenager at the time this book was written, living near some of the areas the story takes place. I can testify to the truth of the way unmarried mothers were treated at this time. I had a friend who had an illegitimate child in at roughly the same time as the author, and her treatment was very similar. To be a Catholic unmarried mother did indeed bring terrible shame on the family and the heartbreak these young women endured when their babies were taken away from them was terrible indeed. To be an unmarried mother regardless of Faith was a disgrace in any case, and the offspring of these women if not adopted were called B******ds. It would be quite some years before attitudes changed.

I shed tears with the author, and as a mother cannot imagine the pain and suffering she endured when parted from her baby.

This book gives an insight as to how we young women were treated in the early sixties, and I would recommend reading this book to anyone adopted at around this time, who may be feeling resentful or angry at their birth mother for giving them up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Story, 2 Jun 2012
I actually bought this book as it was recommended with another purchase and I was intrigued to find out more.

The book is based around a young woman's struggles when she falls pregnant and realises her only option is to keep the pregnancy a secret by attending a convent and have the baby adopted.

This book had me hooked and I really felt for the author for the horrors she had to go through. It really makes you think about all the things that we take for granted now and how it was such a different world back then.

This book is definitely worth a read both for the insight into life in the 60s for young women and also for the author's story.

The Baby Laundry for Unmarried Mothers