4.0 out of 5 stars Essentisal reading for all partners of the Welsh!
Published on 20 Mar 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Welshness
Quite funny with it's often apt descriptions of us Welsh. Sometimes though you would have to BE Welsh to understand why certain comments are funny!
Published 7 months ago by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Essentisal reading for all partners of the Welsh!, 20 Mar 1999
By A Customer
Written by an expat Welshman who has lived in England and now returned to the homeland, this little book is wonderful. The observations of the peculiarities and foibles of the Welsh are highly accurate and I could see myself in almost every paragraph, if not myself then certainly a not too distant relative or friend! My wife is English and she feels the accuracy of the book is second to none and would probably never have married me had she read it 20 years ago. I have sent copies to friends all over the world. Enjoy the whole book in an evening then take it down the pub the next night where you can share the humour!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny and astute., 6 Mar 2013
I laughed most of the way through reading this book, mostly because it is a perfect description of my family. We are Welsh, and this book is better and more accurate than most "serious" books about Welsh culture. The author shows a real understanding of the people about whom he is writing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cymru am byth!, 11 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Xenophobe's Guide to the Welsh (Xenophobe's Guides) (Kindle Edition)
A very amusing but (I suspect, intentionally) exaggerated view of us Welsh. A good read equally for Welsh and non-Welsh alike. Is there a similar publication called "The Xenophobe's Guide to the English"? If so, I must read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars guide to the Welsh, 8 Dec 2013
Well what can I say ,I Loved it as my mother was Welsh and my Father half Welsh so I thouroughly enjoyej it , it brought back so many treasured Memories, THAK YO SOOOOOOOOOOO Much

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny!, 30 July 2013
Really enjoyed reading this - being Welsh, it made me smile as I recognised so many of our national traits - both good and bad (not that there can be anything bad about being Welsh, of course!)

5.0 out of 5 stars From a welshman, 14 April 2013
Loved it being a Welshman I can relate and found myself chuckling to myself good read I really enjoyed it

5.0 out of 5 stars I do love this I do, 9 Oct 2013
All in all a very concise summary of how us lucky souls who were born in God's own paradise (Wales) see the world.

Some interesting facts, tales and truths to also help those blasted foreigners (the English) in their rightful place.

Sort, sharp and fun.

4.0 out of 5 stars Oh give me some pity I'm on a committee...., 15 Mar 2014
Being married to a Welshman, and having lived in Wales for several years I can relate to and agree with so much in this book. There is much in the book to provoke a wry smile and even a chuckle, but when it comes to the author's comments on Welsh politics and bureaucracy a note of depression and even fatalism seeps in. The chapter on the Welsh Assembly could almost have been penned by my Welsh mother-in-law in a particularly low mood, and she would certainly agree with every word. The author may have been, as he says, overcome by hiraeth, so that he felt he had to return to his Welsh roots, but voluntary exile for many years as has certainly opened his eyes to the insular nature of many aspects of Welsh life and seems to have confirmed him in his views that Wales is being run by layer upon layer of opinionated committee members who seem to little care or know about the life of the ordinary people but do like the sound of their own voices.

3.0 out of 5 stars Welshness, 21 Feb 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars Fairly Good in parts, 12 Feb 2014
The author is sometimes perceptive but sometimes too clever by half. It is not clear whether he is serious, semi serious , trying to be humorous or changing from one to the other.