5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!
Very funny, and surprisingly accurate portrayal of the English and their behaviour. Covering aspects such as our love of the 'nice cup of tea' through to our insistence on always being 'sorry'. Well worth a read.
Published on 12 Feb 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Too short
Was expecting a BOOK, received a pamphlet. My fiance is English, so was expecting some good tips/info on how to relate, unfortunately most of the information was either commonly known and/or useless generalisations. Also, and this is a point that covers all the Xenophobes guides (bought a few), WHY DO YOU PUT THINGS IN BOLD THAT YOU THEN INCLUDE IN THE BODY OF THE...
Published on 9 May 2012 by Aaron Were

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 12 Feb 2005
By A Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 2 July 2009
Frank Connolly "FC" (Downham Market, Norfolk, England) - See all my reviews
An interesting and observant insight.
Easy to read - I've passed my copy on to a German friend - along with the companion volume about the Germans!

4.0 out of 5 stars An amusing look at the English way of life, 18 May 1999
By A Customer
This book, which is part of a whole series of Xenophobes' guides is an enjoyable - if, as is to be expected - it's rather generalised.
The book is amusing, and surprisingly spot-on. Covering areas such as class, making tea, sport, distrust of foreigners, etc this book explains the English very well.
Anyone who wants to understand the English better would do very well to read this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fancy a cuppa?, 15 Sep 2011
Very funny read. When it arrived I thought I would just read the 1st page for now... Ended up reading the entire book the same day. Although its only small, 90'ish pages, its a good funny read. Some things are very true which I found myself relating to (the good and the bad) but lots I didn't agree on. The book looks at the whole idea of the English which very few people are every point that it states (which is why I didn't agree on some stuff).

I think if a non English person did read it, then they shouldn't expect all English to be exactly as it says, but you will understand some of the traits a bit better that you will notice in the English. Like for me, when speaking to my Scandinavian friend and I say sorry, he tells me off for saying it, as to him its not necessary to say it unless you have been/done something very bad, but for me being English its something natural to say even on the simplest of things. Also I get dead annoyed when he doesn't say sorry for the more simple things, which he then gets put in the category the book says (Hopefully when I forward the book to him we might not argue that much over it as he might understand my crazy English ways lol)

In conclusion as the other reviews say, It talks about the cuppa, Cricket, our weird and wonderful traits, how we see the world... etc. Not everything is completely true to all the people (pick n mix) but its a funny read anyway and will make understanding some of the things we do easier. :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very funny little guide, 18 Dec 2012
Val (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
I have bought a number of Xenophobe's guide for my travelling friend. They are full of funny facts but also contain a fair amount of cliches.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but not perfect, 6 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Xenophobe's Guide to the English (Xenophobe's Guides) (Kindle Edition)
This book makes for a very entertaining read. Like others in the series, it has to rely on stereotypes, which are usually correct, though some may be more stereotypes that the English have about themselves and that are not really justified. For example, the authors make a big fuss about the English moderation in everything, the constant use of understatements, and people's reluctance to display excessive emotions (the stiff upper lip). Yet, when you compare with other Europeans, the English are the only ones who will regularly inflate compliments like 'your hair looks fantastic' or 'you look absolutely gorgeous today' when they just mean that it's good. Who else but the English would say things like 'I am positively ravenous' or 'it's perfectly all right' ? Is that moderation and reserve in expression ?

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot on!!!, 19 Jan 2011
J. Sutherland "jsutherland" (Germany) - See all my reviews
An excellent little book which gives a great insight into what makes the English and their culture tick. It explains the main areas of typical life in England with wit. The authors have a great sense of humour. Highly recommended to anyone about to move to the UK. It will help you to understand the subtleties of the English. They do it very well indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 July 2014
Paul Gordon - See all my reviews
Pretty much there, too close for comfort sometimes!

4.0 out of 5 stars I,m a Xenophobe, 12 April 2014
M. Hardy "firemedic" (Dronfield, Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
As an Englishman I found this book quite amusing but I'm sure foreigners will not understand the humour in it

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun book to have by the loo!, 10 Mar 2014
It's good for us Englsh folk to read about the eccentricities of the English and what is charming about us and also ridiculous. Makes you think about why you actually do some of the things that you do!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›