Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Kindle EditionChange

on 13 May 2011
This is a very confident debut from Howard Linskey who has painted a vivid and realistic picture of the darker side of Newcastle. Written from the perspective of David Blake, who over time has deluded himself that he is a "white collar criminal" above and morally aloof from the violent activities of his colleagues, it charts his free-fall into a world of shit when "The Drop" of the title goes missing, along with its courier. Linskey manages to introduce a diverse cross section of characters - from the Newcastle Mr. Big through to the head of the shady organization the aforementioned Drop should have landed with via an array of foot soldiers on the streets of Newcastle. He portrays this world perfectly - or at least what I imagine this world to be like. The bottom line is you believe that there are people like this out there.

Linskey manages the neat trick of making you empathise with the "hero" of the story - although he is hardly a model citizen - and you always hope that he navigates his way through the murky world he is in. The pace of the book never flags and there are enough twists in the story to keep even the most hardened reader of the genre guessing what the denouement will be.

Whilst the obvious parallels with "Get Carter" will be drawn by many, it reminded me as much of "The Long Good Friday" in its depiction of gangsters unable to fathom out what is going on around them and who is pulling the strings behind the meltdown of their operation. I'd recommend this for anybody who would enjoy a story written in an engaging style, with a realistic plot, punchy dialogue and a dash of humour.

Whilst this is a cracking crime thriller, I think it is above all else a story about Newcastle - its good, bad and ugly. The author's words show a genuine love of the place and even though it describes its less than savoury side, it still serves as a grittily poetic homage to the city.

I am already looking forward to the promised follow up novel and hope the high bar he has set can be maintained.

Remember the name Howard Linskey, because I guarantee it won't be the last time you hear it.
on 18 April 2011
This is a great book, I could not put it down! The characters are really engaging and I was hooked all the way to the end with some superb has a great British gangster feel about it dove tailed with clever "Goodfella" type moments.....the main character David Blake is a cool gangster living a glamorous life, but the writer pulls no punches when things go wrong showing the fear and violence hooked up in the mob...

This is a great read....I even bought my Dad a copy as he is a prolific reader of crime books and he loved it......high praise indeed!!
on 19 June 2012
David Blake isn't really a gangster, although his boss Bobby Mahoney most certainly is. Blake is the more legitimate side of Mahoney's gangland empire.

One of Blake's business responsibilities is 'The Drop'. The delivery of cash to someone very powerful and very influential.

But when Blake's heads back to Newcastle, after an idyllic trip to Thailand with his yuppie-lawyer girlfriend, he is confronted by Finney, one of Mahoney's more psychotic henchmen, who tells him that The Drop didn't happen. And it's all Blake's fault.

And it all goes pear shaped from then on in.

The Drop is the blistering début novel from Howard Linskey. An intense, violent, story of life in the north of England's underworld, peppered with keenly observed details, sharp dialogue and strong characters.

The Drop is a cracking, well paced and gripping crime novel that has me keen to get stuck into Linskey's recently published follow up,The Damage.
on 30 August 2013
This is debut by Linskey and is written from David Blake's perspective, a self styled "plastic gangster". In his own words Blake works for a Newcastle crime lord as the ideas man... his sales and marketing director. He fancies himself suitably far enough removed from the day to day running of a gang life to not see himself as one until someone starts muscling in on their turf. It starts with the drop and its courier going missing. The drop is exactly what it seems: bribe money never reaching the corrupt middleman and all of a sudden Blake is tasked to find the money and the missing courier. He's suddenly and violently thrust into the middle of gangster life only to find his "colleagues" being picked off one by one. Blake is ultimately faced with the decision to walk away or fight back. This is a fantastical start to a new series and the detailed description of criminal and the more seedier life in Newcastle is very believable. I'm looking forward to reading "The Damage", the next David Blake book.
on 20 August 2012
I bought The Drop as I read lots of very favourable reviews and thought I'd try it. I have read over half the book, but simply couldn't get into it, so I gave up. Sorry, but I just couldn't get into the book - maybe it's just not me, but I found the characters dull and that reflected in the book. Not for me! I'll stick to my regulars - Jessie Keane, June Hampson, Tess Gerritsen, Martina Cole, Dreda Say Mitchell, Mandasue Heller, Harlan Coban etc.
on 18 April 2011
The Drop is the ultimate page turner. It coarses through your veins and has the heart racing from the off with its visceral portrayal of the Geordie underworld. Linskey has masterfully crafted all the elements of a rip roaring crime thriller with a superbly intelligent plot which shocks the reader to the core. The depiction of the main character's powerful rise, whilst descending into the underbelly of the criminal fraternity he tries to separate himself from through self delusion, is brilliant. All the characters lurch off the pages at you in 3D as the treachery, intrigue, lust and violence oozes through the pores of a sizzling script. They say to keep your friends close and your enemies closer.... leave The Drop alone...and you'll be watching your back forever!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 19 January 2012
This book was recommended to me by a fellow reader, and I am extremely glad that I took their advice! Howard Linskey released this, his debit novel in April 2011 and his follow up book is due for release in April 2012.

It takes less than two chapters for me to be utterly engrossed in this book. David Blake is a gangster, except he isn't your ordinary violent and ruthless man. He is somebody that has worked his was on to Bobby Mahoney's firm by giving his sound judgement on things and proving his loyalty. When David returns from his holiday, he gets news that Bobby is not a happy man. David, who is head of Bobby's security, has managed to leave an important drop to another man in the firm who, it seems, has disappeared off the face of the planet. Pretty soon David realises that he has to find the money and the person responsible.

I really liked David Blake from the off and as he races to find the people who have Bobby's money I found myself liking him even more. This was not your typical gangster that roughs everybody up; he merely asks politely and leaves the roughing up to his colleague Finney. The story has a relentless kind of pace as David uncovers more and more things that aren't quite right.

Although David is the main character, we meet a hell of a lot more along the way, all who make the story that little bit more interesting. Bobby, David's boss features heavily as does Bobby's young daughter Sarah. We also see some of the other people who are either on the firm or were once part of it. The characters and storyline kept me turning pages late into the night.

There is actually an underlying humour to this book too which I loved. The setting up in Newcastle was done perfectly, with no overkill on either the accent or the place. I loved the ending, and the fact that this is the perfect opener for the second book. An absolutely cracking debut novel and the follow up is already pre-ordered. If you haven't heard of Howard Linskey, take note, this man is already a well remembered name in my never ending list of great authors.
on 15 March 2014
I first came across Howard Linskey in the eBook anthology True Brit Grit, with his story No Shortcuts which also features some of the characters from The Drop, but this was my first experience of a longer format of his work. The Drop is an astonishing British crime novel that effortlessly draws the reader into the drama. David Blake works for Newcastle crime lord Bobby Mahoney but when the Drop goes missing it’s his fault and Blake has to find out what’s happened and get the money back or he’ll be history. The story rattles by with a fast paced narrative as the search twists and turns its way through the city and beyond. As the search intensifies so the organisation starts collapse. Can Blake save himself and the crime world he lives in? The Drop really is one of those books that you can’t put down, a frantic slice of Northern grit and a truly electrifying read. The author Howard Linskey has crafted a Northern Godfather tale that is both engrossing and hypnotic. The most impressive thing is that this is a debut novel and one I highly recommend to crime fiction fans.
on 17 June 2013
This book reads like a low budget action film - but I don't mean this in a negative way. Sometimes I just want to read nonsense action and 'The Drop' kept me turning the pages at great pace as I raced towards the end. Once I decided to read it as a piece of pulp fiction, rather than the gritty, crime drama it is marketed as.

I do question the comments made about it being 'gritty' and showing the 'darkside' of Newcastle as I believe that there is no real sense of place in this book (I have lived in Newcastle for over a decade and know the city well so I believe I have some right to comment here) - simply mentioning areas of the city and occassionally having the characters go 'off to the match' does nothing more than enforce a one dimensional stereotype - these (often) comic reminders that we are in Geordieland actually take something away from the story.

Likewise the use of language was also hampered by the same lack of thought - the main character is very well spoken for the majority of the book (as are many of the 'gangster' style hardmen), but then the author appears to remember that the characters are supposed to be from the North East and slots in a sporadic sentence containing the local twang. Again this just looks like an afterthought of someone who has written an OK crime capper and suddenly decides that his unique selling point (or even target audience) are from 'up North'.

Overall I am pleased I read this book, it was easy reading and worth putting in the time, although I won't be buying any of the other books in the series.
on 25 June 2013
"Get Carter" it ain't. Sloppy characterisarion of unreal characters and generally unconvincing. Failed to grip. What more can I say?