5.0 out of 5 stars Not another simplistic portrait/wedding photography book
I was sceptical this would be another vague and simplistic portrait/wedding photography book like the majority out there with little useful info for an experienced photographer but this book really is different.

It is written in an honest style that is easy to read but never tries to be too glib. The core premise of the book is breaking down why photographs...
Published on 29 Mar. 2012 by MarkL

2.0 out of 5 stars Shockingly Patronising!
The reviews on Amazon sounded so promising that I went ahead and purchased the book.

The book is loaded with amateurish photos and some of them are downright awful. Take chapter 12 as an example - "Paintings and Artwork". His technique is to use paintings as backgrounds which sounds like an OK idea until you see how he executes this. On Page 117, you see a...
Published 17 months ago by Kate

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 28 Sept. 2013
Very good tool if you want to improve your photography. I have seen a lot of "Pro photos", that turn out bad. Easy and logig tips for everyone. Happy me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book, 21 Dec. 2014
Geared for wedding photography but the skills can be used in any photography.
Not just a "do this" book. It gets you thinking about composition and lines so you can make your photography better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Practice Makes Perfect!, 29 Sept. 2013
This is not an "Overnight Improvement" book, but well worth reading. I've found I'm more aware of composition & backgrounds since reading this book. All I need now is a bit more practice...!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent training book, 6 Jun. 2013
This is a great book for learning about photography. Although the Roberto Valenzuela (author) is a wedding photographer, the ideas put forward will be relevant to almost any style of photography.

One of the best things about this book is that it is really well structured, starting with some basics of composition, working through lighting and on to posing. It does not feel "thrown together", like a lot of photography books I've come across.

Although the approach to learning is very structured, the ultimate goal is to make the knowledge automatic, so that it becomes second nature, enabling you to get good shots more quickly and concentrate more on creativity. This approach may not suit some people, as it involves practice and repetition (and time), but it made perfect sense to me.

More experienced photographers may find the information lacking in depth since it seems to be aimed at the less experienced. However, it can be useful to get an overview of how another photographer works, especially when they're able to state it in such clear terms.

Overall, I would recommend this book to any beginner/mid-level photographer who wants to cover some of the stuff they missed by not studying photography formally, without being bogged down by detail or wasting their time with filler.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book. As a wedding photographer there is a ..., 20 Jan. 2015
Fantastic book. As a wedding photographer there is a lot to learn from this title. I followed Roberto online for some time and he is a great teacher. Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book regarding Photography., 10 April 2014
Best book regarding portrait Photography! This is not about wedding only! Very easy to read! Amazing samples. I respect Roberto very much!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally ..., 6 April 2013
I've been going through the first few chapters/lessons which are about composition. I've read several books on the subject, but somehow the explanations and examples didn't do it for me. I kept thinking "Sure - but what do you do when you have the camera in your hands?" Theory usually doesn't translate into practise. Reading composition "Roberto Valenzuela-style", for me was a journey of aha-moments. Nothing difficult - just good advice in how to look at your subjects and their surroundings.

There's a lot of talk in the reviews about this book being for wedding photographers. I absolutely disagree. This book is about people's photography whatever the theme, be it wedding, fashion, portrait or your birthday party.

It's a course book, so you will need to invest some time in doing the exercises (which by the way are FUN). I'm sure doing them will improve just about anybody's photography skills.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you only buy one book, buy this one!, 2 May 2013
This is a really good book, yeah some of it takes you back to basics, but sometimes that's not a bad place to go back to, the posing section provides some useful, easy to follow sugesstions that with easily improve your images, even posing the eyes!.

I've been in photography a while and found the book refreshing and inspirational. (Refering back to my college days, I'd say students and practicing photographers will find this book invaluable, I didn't touch on any of this at HND level, was somehow just expected to know it already !!!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 Sept. 2014
Gets you back to the basics before improving your photography.

5.0 out of 5 stars Art/Photography, 17 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Picture Perfect Practice: A Self-Training Guide to Mastering the Challenges of Taking World-Class Photographs (Voices That Matter) (Kindle Edition)
I have rated the book five star because before reaching the end I know it is the book I have been looking. It is not for the beginner, saying that anybody who understands the basic operations of their camera would benefit from reading it. I use my pictures for inspiration for my painting and drawings this book gives me the benefit and inspiration for both improving my photography and my art.