4.0 out of 5 stars Triumph Over Adversity
Published on 4 Feb 2012 by Ian Jackson

3.0 out of 5 stars An innocent abroad
David isn't a writer. He is a keen biker and his enthusiasm shows.

For some reason, I kept reading this with a Welsh accent, even though I don't think David is Welsh.

Published 19 days ago by Mike Esholt

4.0 out of 5 stars Triumph Over Adversity, 4 Feb 2012
Ian Jackson (Cheshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Part travelogue, part memoir, NICCMAB is a motorcycle diary of middle-aged British Bloke David Royle's trip across America along Route 66. Nearly 50, he learns biking from scratch, buys a Triumph America and then rides across the USA on a Harley Road King (after somebody crashed the Fat Boy he originally wanted to hire). Royle is irrepressibly upbeat finding joy in life both large and small. But there are moments of genuine poignancy too, dealing with the loss of his father, divorce and separation from his kids. A nice read and proof that you're never too old.

4.0 out of 5 stars engaging, informative and entertaining., 22 Aug 2014
This review is from: "Now I Can Call Myself A Biker" (Kindle Edition)
This is an enjoyable read, starting and ending in the uk and an adventure in between. The author has managed to convey his experience of a tour and make it interesting. This book does feel a little 'unpolished' which adds to it's charm. I think the best I can say is after reading I want to do Route 66 myself. I think the most likely readers will be motorcyclists, yet this is more than just motorcycling. I think my partner should read it, may inspire them to get the trip for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars An innocent abroad, 2 Sep 2014
This review is from: "Now I Can Call Myself A Biker" (Kindle Edition)
David isn't a writer. He is a keen biker and his enthusiasm shows.

I would have liked more about the experience rather than blow by blow accounts, however he does convey the excitement he had in visiting the States for the first time and riding Route 66.

5.0 out of 5 stars Route 66, 1 July 2014
This review is from: "Now I Can Call Myself A Biker" (Kindle Edition)
This is a very good steady read and if you are a biker you will understand what the ride meant to these people,thank you

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 9 May 2014
This review is from: "Now I Can Call Myself A Biker" (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book especially as I have only just taken up Motorcycling and past my test at the age of 70. To travel along route 66 is a dream but until then I will have to improve my riding ,maybe when I'm 80. Good Book

3.0 out of 5 stars Ben there & done that, 2 Mar 2014
This review is from: "Now I Can Call Myself A Biker" (Kindle Edition)
I did the same trip in the same year with the same company and the book just failed to capture the real excitement of the journey and the treats that greeted you as you ride across the country and the visual and sensory delights that sem to comr around every bend in the road.

2.0 out of 5 stars A decent book spoiled, 9 Nov 2013
This review is from: "Now I Can Call Myself A Biker" (Kindle Edition)
I guess many bikers dream of doing Route 66 so hats off to David Royale for doing it. Unfortunately for me the book contains too much minutiae such as what David ate for each meal, how much it cost and descriptions of just about every photo he took on the trip. From the significant number of typos, misspellings and poor punctuation, it looks as though the manuscript had never seen a copy editor. Sorry, but I found it very a very amateurish
effort.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read!, 21 Oct 2013
This review is from: "Now I Can Call Myself A Biker" (Kindle Edition)
I have enjoyed Davids journey along Route 66 so much so that I didn't want to put the book down!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really worth a read, 4 Aug 2013
This review is from: "Now I Can Call Myself A Biker" (Kindle Edition)
If you have ever fancied taking a ride in the US then you must read this first. Great in-site into the overall experience and shows anyone can do it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Meh, 3 July 2013
This review is from: "Now I Can Call Myself A Biker" (Kindle Edition)
Bland travelogue. The naivety is initially charming but the narrative is banal, predictable, overly long and littered with grammatical mistakes.

"Now I Can Call Myself A  Biker"