5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning
A stunning read from cover to cover.

Not a 'how to' book, but a more a 'why we do it'.

Jon goes into details of his personal life that many of us wouldn't dare to write.
Its a very private account of friendships and the love of both fishing and the places he fishes.
The journey is a long and difficult one, and one I suspect isn't over just...
Published on 1 Jun 2011 by Scuba

3.0 out of 5 stars Ferox
This book was highly recommended to me. However it is an alright book. Readable but that is about as far as it goes.
Published 10 months ago by gollum

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 1 Jun 2011
A stunning read from cover to cover.

Not a 'how to' book, but a more a 'why we do it'.

The journey is a long and difficult one, and one I suspect isn't over just yet......

A book that is well worth adding to your collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars dark and brooding, 3 April 2012
I imagine we all have our favourites and feel we know what we like to find in our fishing literature. I cannot say that this book fitted my ideals but I would have to admit that it was not easy to put down. This smacks of obsession and much of the central and other characters seem to bear some of the scars of obsession. As do many anglers at some point in the pursuit of their passion. And that's what its all about in the end, a personal journey through life and the role of the 'angler' character in that life. The fact that the quarry of this story dwells in deep, dark and cold water somehow fits like mist in the mountains. The determination required to accomplish what they set out to achieve is somehow matched by the sombre and bleak environments described. There was no casual way to get the fish they sought. This is the story of a struggle, in powerful settings, for an elusive and little understood but potentially giant fish. What more could you want?

5.0 out of 5 stars Ferox Hunting, 16 Jun 2014
Few books on the subject for the last of the really WILD fish in the UK.

Well written

I have fished all over North Scotland and the author Jon Berry paints a great picture of what it is like.- - - - the last wilderness in the UK.

5.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 2 May 2014
This review is from: Beneath the Black Water: The Search for an Ancient Fish (Kindle Edition)
I used to read books a lot, fish quite a bit. Along came the Internet and family , so the former took a back seat to the latter. I downloaded this book because of my fascination with ferox. It is not a guide to fishing, but a insight to obsession at its best and a fisherman's guide to where to fish. I now feel inspired to get back to reading and be more adventurous with my fishing. I was disappointed as it ended abruptly and too quickly which I suppose is a good sign. Defo recommend it

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth a read, 18 Jan 2014
A really good read for any angler and a bit different from a lot of other angling books.Im not a coarse or game angler,just sea fishing for me but I still really enjoyed it.Similar in style of writing to the brilliant Chris Yates books

3.0 out of 5 stars Ferox, 28 Sep 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars No fat carp in Scottish lochs....yet, 22 Jun 2013
I ordered this book knowing that it was likely to be a pleasure: combination of the wilder parts of Scotland, Eire loughs also, obsession, and fishing for ferox which I romanticised about myself many years ago.

Well written and a cracking read: one sitting for me, couldn't put the book down.

The personal blends in well with the fishing. Angling is really a romantic passion, and this is a good exposition of it.

The book ends with a precautionary warning (via "the guru") about the dangers of random stocking of essentially alien species in "wild places".

I love roach fishing myself, in preference in any other, but there is a good argument for eliminating roach from where they shouldn't be, along with other introduced and imbalancing species: the threats to the ice-age (sic) species are made clear at the end of the book.

...the book was a pleasure to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb read, for fishermen, nature lovers and adventurers, 5 Jun 2013
Inspiring book, many fishermen now take the easy option (chuck out boilies, set bit alarms and fall sleep, eventually carp comes along etc. etc.), the authors choice is a less trodden path, more of a quest, in search of a specific species. Certainly inspired me to look at other waters and get back to 'real' fishing- avoiding the superficial world of the commercial fishery.
Well written, easy going read with some beautiful photographs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice read for Ferox hunters out there, 19 Dec 2012
He gets pretty close to capturing the borderline insanity that is Ferox fishing. Its an interesting though casual read into Ferox fishing. There is little tome spent on the methods and theories surrounding Ferox, the book primarily deals with the experience of fishing for them.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good read, 3 Sep 2012
This is just my type of book. If you love the writing of Chris Yates or Luck Jennings then this the book for you. Timeless writing about fishing, nature and the needs of Mankind.