Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£6.99

on 21 December 2014
Great little book for those who love London
on 21 August 2014
A very interesting book about old London
on 19 April 2013
Brilliant if you admired the work of Geoffrey Fletcher from his drawings in the Telegraph and great to have the details to fleshout the art work even though you may have visited the sites
on 15 February 2013
What a wonderful little find this book was. I checked it out from the library after coming across it's video counterpart posted on Youtube.

I'm afraid, however, that as magnificent the concept or beautifully worded, I must deduct two stars from my rating. One star is lost for being too brief, and another star is lost for being too tedious. This is the first book I have encountered that is - paradoxically - too brief AND too tedious. If it had twice the number of pages, I would have read it in half the time.

I was born 20 years after this book was published and grew up 3,500 miles from London. I know several of the areas quite well, yet I struggled to paint the images of what they use to look like in my mind - even with the sketches and having seen the video. There is not enough description, and a knowledge of architecture that I do not possess is assumed. Descriptions of buildings are quite often likened to the architectural styles of people I never heard of and know nothing about, which is hardly helpful. Fletcher also has a tendency to dismiss further elaboration by stating that a book could be written about it. I find this as pathetic and lazy a comment from someone who is - indeed - writing a book on the very topic as a writer who uses the phrase, "words cannot describe."

All the same, I'm very grateful such a book was written and published full of such fascinating gems.
on 23 November 2015
very enjoyable very interesting
on 19 June 2013
Great item and a view into the past, this was a present for my Mother and she loved it along with Look at life 1960s
on 12 March 2016
Very good condition thanks
on 10 August 2013
It was most interesting to read having moved to London just over a year ago I can explore the places.
on 4 January 2012
This was bought as a present, and the recipient has passed on rave reviews. It has made travelling around London considerably less boring (in the awful traffic) and is really very interesting indeed.
on 17 April 2012
I gave this as a present, the recipient seems to be delighted with it, as he used to live in London and now lives in Devon.