5.0 out of 5 stars A cracking good read!
Published on 31 Dec 2009 by Phyllis Lemoncello

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting subject turned into a novel
An easy and enjoyable read based on great subject matter, though it didn't quite do it for me as a novel - rather superficial characters and lack of depth in the storyline.

Published 5 months ago by M MYDDLE

5.0 out of 5 stars A cracking good read!, 31 Dec 2009
Phyllis Lemoncello (Nairn, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Italian Chapel (Hardcover)
I have been an avid reader of a wide range of subjects from an early age but, history never being my strong point at school, historical works whether fact or fiction, have been sadly lacking in my repertoire - that is, until I was introduced to "The Italian Chapel" by Philip Paris. The powerful Prologue had me hooked and I immediately settled down for a most enjoyable read, relating the true story of the amazing achievements brought about by the hard work, determination and unshakeable beliefs of the Italian prisoners of war held at the camp on Lamb Holm in the Orkney Islands during World War II. I had heard of the Italian Chapel and had even been to Orkney without paying it a visit as heretofore there was not much readworthy information easily available. That is no longer the case! Through his extensive research and dogged detective work, Philip Paris has managed to capture the mood and emotions of the men involved and has woven a delightful tale of their efforts, hopes, disappointments and successes against the wild background of the wind-blasted Orkney Islands and has skillfully blended historical fact with romantic fiction in a seamless fashion so that I could not put the book down until I had finished it. Whether your interest lies in history, geography, war tales, Scottish literature or historical romance, this extremely well-crafted book has much to satisfy - a cracking good read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hidden Gem, 23 Oct 2009
Barry J. Corbett (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Italian Chapel (Hardcover)
This is my first review on Amazon. After reading The Italian Chapel I felt moved to share my thoughts with other readers. The book is highly recommended for two reasons: (1) it recalls a true story of hope, friendship and love - a story never told before; and (2) it is beautifully crafted into a real page turner. The book finishes with the author telling you which parts of the book are true and which are false, he also tells you the known story of the key characters' lives after WW2. Read the book and you will be moved to visit the Islands of Orkney - I was!

5.0 out of 5 stars A different View of War, 3 May 2010
This review is from: The Italian Chapel (Hardcover)
My Father had been a POW, first in Italy and then in Germany, and having recently re-read his, all too incomplete, diary I had an inkling on the deprivations of being a POW in those times but also of the tenacity of homo sapiens and their ability to forge lasting comradeship. Philip Parris has written a book which captures exactly the spirit of those captured in WW2, at least those in Europe. It does not seem to matter which side one was on the similarities are more real than the differences. The story touched the emotions and once picked up the book had to be finished sooner rather than later.We had visited Orkney but were, on that trip, unable to visit the Italian Chapel. We are now planning another visit during which the chapel WILL be visited.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite an emotional account., 3 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Italian Chapel (Kindle Edition)
Whilst diving in Scapa Flow, I stayed at Burray Head . When the weather was too rough for diving I would visit the chapel and wonder about the people who could build such a beautiful interior in such a hostile environment with so little access to proper materials . This book answers many of those questions.

5.0 out of 5 stars An unexpected gem, 25 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Italian Chapel (Kindle Edition)
A moving account of human resilience and resourcefulness under difficulties. Well-paced and convincingly blending in a little fiction to speed the flow of what is essentially a factual account. I particularly welcomed the chance to find out what had happened to the characters involved in later years, which came, appropriately, at the end of this excellent book. It must make every reader wish to visit the Italian chapel in person.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 24 Dec 2012
Mrs. D. A. Bremner (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Italian Chapel (Kindle Edition)
Having visited the Italian Chapel and viewed the Chuchill Barriers at Scapa flow I found this a moving an inspirational story told from the point of view of Italian POWs. Makes me want to go back again to revisit this beautiful Chapel.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting subject turned into a novel, 9 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Italian Chapel (Kindle Edition)

In the end, a true historical account of the Italian POWs' lives on Orkney during WW2 might have suited me better as I knew nothing about this fascinating story before coming across this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars The story reminded me of a similar chapel constructed by Italian P.O.Ws. in Kenya on the road down into the Rift Valley., 26 Dec 2012
J. A. Parrish "Tony" (Frogmore, Devon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Italian Chapel (Kindle Edition)
Slightly spoilt by the facts introduced at the end of the book. I had thought that it was a true story until then.

5.0 out of 5 stars A moving book., 9 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Italian Chapel (Kindle Edition)
Philip Paris has written about a real place and events with warmth, humour and imagination. Whilst some of the characters he has developed are fictitious they fit well with those who actually existed. The story of the Italian chapel, the people who constructed, decorated and preserved it is fascinating. It is great that this story has been told; an excellent book that draws you in to the lives and times of this small part of Orkney and the second world war.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely story, 27 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Italian Chapel (Kindle Edition)
What a lovely story about a chapel built in an Italian PoW camp and the Italians themselves. I would highly recommend it!

ARRAY(0xb3d4c144)