5.0 out of 5 stars Buy one for someone, then keep it yourself
Published on 3 Aug 2007 by Toby Lancaster

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of trivia but more focused on Royal trivia
As some other reviewers have commented, I was expecting this book to cover different areas of London, with lots of trivia but it is more focused on Royal connections. Nevertheless, for the price, I found it an amusing quick read, which gave me some interesting facts before a visit to London. If it was more expensive, I would not recommend it but for this price, it is...
Published 15 months ago by Stepas

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy one for someone, then keep it yourself, 3 Aug 2007
Bought this for a non-reading friend new to London (from NY)- as it looked like an easy-dip-in-dip-out book. Then I dipped in, then I dipped in a bit more, then I read the whole thing through and decided to keep it myself so I'm back to buy another. Some really, REALLY extraordinary stuff in here, and lots of bizarre stories about people and places - all of it true, he says - together with some neat cartoons and a lot of laughs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great present, easy read, lots of laughs, 12 Aug 2007
Matthew from Ongar (Just arrived in London) - See all my reviews
Definitely a browser rather than a traditional guide book, but still a real find for anyone with an interest in London with wealth of wacky or unexpected detail about both the modern and historic city, and all of it delivered with wit and panache.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a cracker!, 8 Jan 2008
Got two copies for Xmas, and laughed solidly until I reached the end. Maybe not the most USEFUL book on London, but certainly the funniest in a long while. Odd anecdotes, strange facts, extraordinary people and wild goings-on combine to paint an irresistable portraint of the greatest city on earth.

5.0 out of 5 stars what a contrast to his other books........, 23 Mar 2008
David Long is clearly very versatile. This is a more humorous attempt at writing about London than I've seen from him before, & he pulls it off very well. A good mix of sober & crazy facts from all walks of London life, showing what an eclectic & interesting place this town is.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Little book of London, 18 Nov 2010
I haven't finished this book yet as I take it to read when I use the tube which isn't very regularly, but even so I am so impressed with the level of research that must have gone into it, as a native and lover of London the book is fascinating. I'll be buying at least one more as a Christmas gift.
It's a wonderful little book that fits into my jacket pocket too, ideal for traveling around our great city. highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Little Book of London, 4 Oct 2009
A comprehensive look at some of the more quirky sides of our Capital City. A very good book for picking up in a few odd minutes and a wonderful source of material for ice breakers at boring dinner parties.... like.... "did you know that 14 men held a dinner party at the top of Nelson's column in 1843" or " under an office block in Fleet Street there is the 14th century crypt of a religious house founded by the Carmelite Order of White Friars." .... great stuff... and more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting facts that many will not know!, 24 Feb 2009
It may be a little book, but it is big on knowledge. There are intesting and some funny facts you never knew about this wonderful and strange city. This is not just perfect for Londoners, but for everyone, as everyone can learn a little something!

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Book of London, 18 Dec 2008
M. Barclay (London) - See all my reviews
Great little book, so interesting.It is a handy size, so easy to slip in a pocket when out and about in London. I bought three as christmas tree presents. Deciding to wrap my presents I picked up the book and spent the whole morning reading it. Needless to say I did not get much wrapping done. Now about to order two more, one of them for myself.

4.0 out of 5 stars A light, interesting read, 2 Jan 2012
Bought this book to read while on the train to and from work. It's a nice, light and interesting read with loads of facts, some quite useless and some quite interesting. It's just a bit of fun reading about the city you live in and it's colorful past. This will be great as a gift or to keep on your coffee table.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another fascinating book from David Long, 10 Jun 2010
Another little gem of a book from David Long. This book contains facts figures and tales about Britains capital city that answers so many of those questions and provides the reader with a deep knowledge of London and its history, customs and lifestyles.
A fascinating and entertaining book suitable for browsing or reading from cover to cover!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›