4.0 out of 5 stars A light history
This is the first "Life Series" book I've read so apologies if I'm stating the obvious to those who already know.

Published 14 months ago by K J

3.0 out of 5 stars A very small thin book!
I didn't quite realise how small and thin this book would be!

I purchased it as an introduction to the subject for my son. The book is well written and informative, albeit limited in scope. Sadly there are no pictures, thereby limiting it's appeal. I understand that the author is an authority on the subject.

In conclusion... it's worth a couple of...
Published on 14 July 2012 by John in Cornwall

3.0 out of 5 stars A very small thin book!, 14 July 2012
I didn't quite realise how small and thin this book would be!

In conclusion... it's worth a couple of quid but don't expect too much!

4.0 out of 5 stars A light history, 23 Jun 2013
This review is from: Life in Nelson's Navy (Kindle Edition)

It's not a heavy duty piece packed with fact, figures and analysis. It's pretty light weight and I read it end to end in 3-4 hours. I give it 4 stars because it's pitched at a level that suits me. Every sentence has something interesting and it does paint a picture. I probably retained more about the subject than if it had been a detailed work.

If you aspire to be an expert on Nelson's world buy a text book. If you want to take a peek and get a flavour you could do worse than try this.

Given that it cost less than the average quality daily newspaper and was more entertaining I think it is good value for money.

Kindle and these types of publications are changing my reading habits. I'll be looking fro more of this type of thing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Life in Nelsons Navy, 22 April 2013
This review is from: Life in Nelson's Navy (Kindle Edition)
A small but concise and interesting book giving an excellent insight into the life of the 'jolly jack tar'. The chapters are well thought out to give an overall view of naval life. Worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars A brisk and informative account of the heyday of the Royal Navy, 17 April 2013
This review is from: Life in Nelson's Navy (Kindle Edition)
Fairly brief but chock full of interesting facts and explanations of naval terminology. Clearly this was not a lifestyle for the faint of heart!

5.0 out of 5 stars LIFE (EXISTENCE !!) IN NELSONS NAVY, 17 Mar 2014
This review is from: Life in Nelson's Navy (Kindle Edition)
I found this to be an accurate and factualy interesting compact book covering the Nelson era.

Lord Horatio Nelson, who was born in 1758, and fately wounded by a french sniper on the 21st October 1805 aged just 47, having previously lost the sight of his right eye in battle at the age of 35, and his right arm 4 years later, which was amputated at his own request, and without anastetic!! His body was preserved in a brandy mixture, for the return voyage to England where after a State funeral he was laid to rest in the crypt under the large dome in St Paul's Cathedral. A courageous man, as no doubt were many that served under him.

The book consists of seven chapters.... Joining the Navy, The Ship, The Officers, Living on board, Sailing the Ship, War and Battle, and Leaving the Navy, and is an easy read on Naval history. Despite its small size, it does pack a lot in, and is a giveaway at the Kindle price. Definitely recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Insights, 18 Aug 2013
This review is from: Life in Nelson's Navy (Kindle Edition)
I found it factual and enlightening, with an appropriate amount of detail, particularly in the area of organisation of the crew.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nelsons Navy, 14 Aug 2013
K. Middlecoate "Ken" (Cleethorpes, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Life in Nelson's Navy (Kindle Edition)
A brilliant read, goes a long way into explaining the hardships that these poor sailors went through, a life on the ocean wave wasn't that good after all.

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat disappointing for O'Brian readers, 18 Jun 2013
Jonathan J. S. Brown "JJSB" (Hants UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Life in Nelson's Navy (Kindle Edition)
As a dedicated reader of the wonderful Aubrey/Maturin novels, I was somewhat disappointed in this book as I did not learn anything more than that which I had already learned from O'Brian. Also, the book does not cover fighting a ship at all, a topic I had wanted to learn more about.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read, 13 May 2014
T. J. Mckenna - See all my reviews
This review is from: Life in Nelson's Navy (Kindle Edition)
This is a good read and very informative. It is well worth the price and makes a change from reading fiction on life at sea.I would recommend it for all age groups.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great insight into an unknown world., 14 Mar 2014
This review is from: Life in Nelson's Navy (Kindle Edition)
This book gives a fascinating insight into a world none of us could imagine. A cracking read, wish it had have been much longer.

Life in Nelson's Navy