1,263 Reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars Not sure if totally genuine
Published 1 month ago by Ruby6410

5.0 out of 5 stars Eye-opening and jaw-dropping, 22 July 2009
This review is from: Slave Girl (Paperback)
I read a lot of books but have not really delved into the 'tragic life stories' genre before, but Slave Girl caught my eye on the shelf and even though the subject matter is unpleasant I was really struck by the element of hope in the book. Sarah has been to hell and back but she survived to tell the tale. Other people in that situation would have accepted their fate and given up but she kept fighting and eventually escaped. I felt like I was with her every step of the way and respect and admire Sarah for her courage and resiliance.
I was shocked to discover that 70% of the prostitutes in Amsterdam's red light district are forced to work there by greedy gangsters. Sarah's voice needs to be heard so that tourists to that city know the misery that goes on behind those windows. The corrupt police should be named and shamed and a full investigation into the local government needs to be conducted so girls like Sarah shouldn't have to go through that ordeal ever again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Slave Girl - Review, 7 July 2009
V. Gascoigne "Vic" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Slave Girl (Paperback)
I read this book in a matter of hours. It was so compelling.
Being the same age as Sarah and also living in the Newcastle area, this book really struck home.
My husband also read the book and we talked for hours afterwards about Sarah's ordeal.
If Sarah ever reads this comment... I wish you all the best in the future - you deserve it x x x

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read, 6 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Slave Girl - I Was an Ordinary British Girl. I Was Kidnapped and Sold into Sex Slavery. This is My Horrific True Story (Kindle Edition)
Last year I wrote Trafficked: The Diary of a Sex Slave to try and raise awareness about trafficking, so after my research for it I was expecting a lot of the horrific ordeal that Sarah describes in her book, but many others may not be. This book is a must-read and is very well-written. You will cry while reading Sarah's heart-breaking story, and you will feel disgusted, sick, and angry, but it's a story that needs to be read. No one should have to go through this. Slave Girl addresses a lot of common misconceptions surrounding prostitution - mainly that these women must've got into it by choice. Society doesn't pay attention to the reason prostitutes are doing what they're doing. They don't stop and think how they got into that situation - far better to ignore it than have to deal with the horrendous fact that trafficking is a huge global problem that makes a hell of a lot of money for those involved, from the bottom right up to the very top. That woman working on a street corner or in a sauna or massage parlour that you see every day could be trafficked. In the UK, it is not hidden from view, but blatantly in your face - street corners, massage parlours freely advertising in phone boxes, on the net, in newspapers, and yet very little is done to protect these women from trafficking. Another misconception is that victims can just escape - it's not as simple as that. As Sarah says " Not all prisons have bars and walls - some are in the mind." Victims hardly ever speak out because they're subjected to unimaginable abuse and violence, or their families are threatened. They cannot escape because they are brainwashed into believing their captors and they don't know who to trust. In Sarah's case, she was further bound to her captors after being fed drugs just to get through her living hell. An addiction she's still struggling to deal with.

Sarah's previous history with abuse may have made her more vulnerable, but it could easily happen to you, or your daughter, or your sister, or your wife. She put her trust in the wrong person. A mistake that was a tragedy for her and could've cost her life. It did cost others mentioned in the book their lives. It proves that a normal person who accidentally slips up could be in the same situation. In fact, it's going on under your nose right now. Together, we can all do something to raise awareness. This is not someone else's problem - it's everyone's problem.

I applaud Sarah for having the strength and courage to share her story, and break the common misconceptions that surround trafficking. She is one of the lucky ones who managed to escape, but she is far from healed. Everything that's happened to her is an ongoing struggle to deal with. I really hope that one day she will heal the invisible psychological wounds.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not sure if totally genuine, 12 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Slave Girl (Paperback)
Although if I am mistaken I hugely apologise to Sarah,I can't help but have the feeling that this story is not 100% true. Sarah mentions that she was locked in the red light district windows, yet was able to let punters in, she then gets in a romantic relationship with her kidnapper, I'm very sorry for what she went through weather forced or not, I hear she is now still addicted to drugs mainly morphine and I hope she has the strength to stop one day. Interesting book but not believable to me.

4.0 out of 5 stars horrifying, 13 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Slave Girl (Paperback)
This book is the story of a young woman from Gateshead, who, following years of abuse as a child and adolescent attempts to make a new life for herself by taking a job abroad. Alas, the job is a ruse and she is kidnapped and forced into life as a prostitute in the Netherlands.
This story is truly shocking, as it details the failures of those who should have helped her as a child and the realities of life as a trafficked sex slave in one of Europes most popular cities.
It was a real eye opener for me that British women are trafficked into prostitution abroad - naively I had assumed prior to reading this that the trade wasn't operating both ways.
Throughout the book there are occasional footnotes that offer additional information such as facts and statistics such as currency exchanges, legal changes etc.
There is also, in the edition I read an introduction and afterword that shed more light on the events told in the body of the book itself.
This is not an easy read in that the material is shocking and disturbing, and with reading this comes the realistaion that there are so many other women trapped in this situation, and that the judicial system really is not dealing with or punishing these crimes adequately.
The complicity of authorities that should be there to protect is appalling.
The book is not a long one, yet I feel that it could have a profund impact on those that read it.
I sincerely hope that sarah manages to acheieve some happiness and stability in her life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very powerful book, 10 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Slave Girl (Paperback)
This book is a very compelling, moving, upsetting and horrifying account of one woman's hellish journey of abuse throughout her life. It is well-written and gripping throughout and you do get a real sense of who the author is, she does not flinch from telling it like it is and that extends to her view of herself.

It is a miracle that she has survived all this abuse in her life and I cannot believe she could ever trust anyone after what she has been through. My heart goes out to her and I just want to give her a big hug for being brave enough to share her story with others and open people's eyes to what goes on in the world beneath the veneer of normality.

It would be good if more men read this book, as the picture she paints of the punters she encountered throughout her time in Amsterdam's red light district is illuminating and would hopefully make them think twice about how they view women (and potentially use and abuse them).

I would recommend this book for those who have a genuine interest in the lives of others and some compassion in their heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bruilliant but disturbing read., 8 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Slave Girl (Paperback)
I started to read this book and couldn't put it down I read it in no time, it is very well written and keeps you hooked. The story of this poor girl sends shivers down your spine, from the sexual abuse from her father then in the children's home to eventually being kidnapped and forced to prostitute herself by evil thugs in Amsterdam. it is disgusting that this goes on in this day and age and it is well known by the authorities what's happening, but of course its all back handers, would the people who should be helping these poor women ie police and so on want to be in their shoes I don't think so. This could be stopped but there's too much money involved shame on them for letting this happen. I felt sick reading the part about Par it's too horrendous to imagine ??? So glad Sarah escaped but don't think her body will ever escape what happened to her through her life. My heart goes out to you Sarah.

2.0 out of 5 stars Harrowing story... Badly authored, 25 Oct. 2014
This is a harrowing story to say the least.... A story almost identical to Taken - however this one is "true". Although the story itself is devastating I can't help thinking something's have been "creatively elaborated"... Or perhaps just very poorly authored?

5.0 out of 5 stars Have just read the sad story of Sarah and felt so lucky for being ..., 29 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Slave Girl (Paperback)
Have just read the sad story of Sarah and felt so lucky for being ordinary and guilty at the same time for not knowing/seeing/noticing that there is another world beyond the happy one we have. I heard a few times, like many people, about modern slaving or sex traficking before but was too lazy or hooked on with my busy life, I didnt even pay enough attention. True or not, after reading Sarah's story, being sure that there are even worse things going on in the world, decided to do what we all have to do as human beings. Will do my best to find a way of helping people like Sarah by joining the charity organizations which involve saving people like these or at least visiting the orphans. Hope this book awakens more people and we do something else, to help, apart from just feeling "sorry" for them.

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS BOOK CHANGED MY MIND, 5 Sept. 2012
READING THIS BOOK HAS CHANGED MY MIND ABOUT PROSTITUTES, I ALWAYS THOUGHT OF THEM AS HARD FACED UNCAREING AND COMMON, BUT I NOW FEEL THEY ARE NORMAL, FEELING AND THOUGHTFUL PEOPLE, WITH VERY SADLIVES, THE HORRORS SARAH WENT THROUGH MADE ME FEEL FOR HER VERY DEEPLY, AND THE WAY SHE WAS TRICKED INTO GOING TO AMSTERDAM WAS CRUEL, AND THE FACT HER MOTHER THOUGHT SHE WAS PHONEING HER, WAS CRUEL TO HER MOTHER AS WELL, THESE PEOPLE SHOULD HAVE BEEN JAILED FOR LIFE, AND THE POOR GIRL WHO HAD HER HEAD BLOWN OFF HER SHOULDERS WELL WHAT CAN ONE SAY ABOUT THAT????? A VERY COMPELLING READ, HOPE SARAH HAS A HAPPY FUTURE,