4.0 out of 5 stars a time bomb waiting to go off

2.0 out of 5 stars A little dignity please
Published on 27 April 2009 by Pedro the Llama

2.0 out of 5 stars A little dignity please, 27 April 2009
This review is from: Pure Evil (Paperback)
Incredibly sad tale of two people who should not have been together and the petty rows and petty jealousies that ultimately destroyed them. Lee's mother is obviously still distraught and in great pain but I found the endless hatred and vitriol very difficult to read and her belief that Tracie Andrews will reoffend when released implausible. This was not a premeditated attack it was a terrible and dreadful culmination of a temper running out of control.

There is a sentence in the book where she and her husband agree that they wish Lee had killed Tracie so at least he would still be alive, albeit in jail and they could visit him. Would she have washed his clothes of blood? Would she have still written a book called 'Pure Evil'? Would Maureen still be campaigning for a life sentence to mean a life sentence for murder? I doubt it. I truly understand a mother's pain and her son's murder was pointless and avoidable, but I think the writer should maybe have guided Maureen down a path less biased and bitter, Lee maybe was not as pure as the driven snow himself.

A very sad tale made all the more poignant because there are a potential Tracie and Lee in every pub in every town.

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh Dear.., 6 Feb. 2012
Before i start.. I want to say that the grief this women felt about her sons awful death must have been phenomenal and i can not even begin (or want to try) to understand what it was like.

But...

I didn't like this book at all. I didn't even reach the end of it. It felt like a constant plea for the readers to feel sorry for her, to love her son unconditionally and to absolutly detest Tracie Andrews. So much so that i found it almost a book of begging.

I don't doubt that Tracie was throughly disturbed and cappable of doing the crime. But at the end of the day, no one will know what truely happend that night, what built up to it, what happened in the car, what happened when they got out the car and when the attack took place. I feel alot of this book was blinded by a mothers love and her sorrow.

Apart from Lee, the person i think most suffered in the aftermath was his poor sister. She seemed to have been the adult in this and the one that looked after everyone the most, the one that stayed strongest, don't forget that she was pregnant when it happened and therefore she was also raising a baby through the court case etc.

I don't think this book should have been published, they made a huge mistake. If anything, this book should have been done with maybe one of the policemen as the narrator.

I do hope that Lees mum is getting help from professionals, because i think it is clear to see that she is still very deeply disturbed by the traggic death of her son. I'd hate to think she lives her life with that much hate and bitterness inside her, it is a heavy, soul destroying weight to carry around.

2.0 out of 5 stars Rather One Sided account of things., 12 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Pure Evil (Paperback)
I bought this book as I was interested to read more about what happened, I remember at the time it was a huge news story. I found Lee Harveys mothers account one sided and her belief that her son was innocent of any wrongdoing towards Tracie rather tiresome, she bragged about the number of women her son had bedded, yet called Tracie a slut, whore etc, she argued that a life sentence should mean life, yet also states in the book she wishes her son had murdered Tracie instead of the other way around ! Her son could obviously do no wrong in her eyes - " The kitchen was closed to everyone - except Lee"? Clearly Tracie was a disturbed and violent woman, but I believe this was a ticking timebomb waiting to go off. As a mother myself, I couldnt bear the thought of my child being murdered, but I hope that Maureen and the Harvey family can get the help and support they need to move on with their lives, especially as Andrews has now been released. They were a couple who should clearly never have been together. I have met many mothers over the years through work etc who adore their sons to the point of desperation, which is rather sad and pathetic to see, they become jealous when a woman enters their sons lives, and forever view them with disdain, clearly Maureens motives at hating Tracie are understandable, but not believable.

2.0 out of 5 stars exhausting, 30 Mar. 2009
Mrs. L. Byrne (Norfolk UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pure Evil (Paperback)
I was looking forward to reading this book as I remember the case of the Road Rage liar and I was interested to find out the background story.
I couldn't help but feel sorry for Maureen Harvey though as I read further through the book it sometimes felt as though nobody felt more sorry for Maureen than Maureen.
I have a Lee too and I have tried to imagine how I would be should the same thing, or similar, happen to him. To be honest it is too painful even to contemplate though one thing is certain, I wouldn't want to write a book about it.
The tone of the book throughout is one of anger and bitterness. Around halfway into the book Maureens husband, Ray, has an accident at work resulting in a broken neck. He is rendered helpless and needs constant care and has to rely on other people, mainly Maureen, to do everything for him. On page 175 she walks out on him which, to me, is shocking! She half-heartedly attempts to explain the reasons why but it just seems to be glossed over. She quite readily hands over the reins to her daughter, Michelle, already a busy working Mum who has two small children and a husband to look after, giving the reason that they have always had a very close father/daughter bond. As Ray was being given lots of attention I couldn't help but feel that her walking out on him was just her way of getting attention focused on her again. She keeps saying that she is having a nervous breakdown though it is unclear that she has received that diagnosis from a Doctor.
As I got to Chapter 15, which is about Tracie Andrews' appeal, I was beginning to find Maureen rather tiresome. Her two sisters who had been nothing but supportive throughout the dark days since Lees' murder were told that they weren't needed to attend the hearing at the High Court in London. Maureen says that it was Michelles' idea that they shouldn't attend though Maureen was very quick to agree thus upsetting her sisters and creating a rift between them that would take a long time to heal. Coming to the end of the book there are letters written plus replies then I started skipping pages.
If you like reading true crime by all means buy this book to add to your collection but be prepared for a headache and feeling unsatisfied when you reach the end.
Finally, I don't think the book was very well written at all and having Maureen Harvey as the co-author was a mistake as the book was all about her when the title of the book 'Pure Evil' relates to Tracie Andrews.

3.0 out of 5 stars couldnt put it down.. but cringed a bit.., 1 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Pure Evil (Paperback)
I always enjoy/find interesting true life crime type books and read a fair few.. whilst this was one i couldnt put down from beginning to end i found it a bit cringey at how bitter Maureen was.. yes she lost her son in a awful way but i think if someone less biased could have wrote it it would have been better written. Her anger and hatred of Tracy comes through on every page and it is all very one sided.. i found it painful to read her cheap insults saying she had a *fat arse and saddlebags* etc and calling her a bitch on every page.. however she has lost her son so i can understand it.. just a shame she didnt get someone to help her with the writing.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Study of Grief Rather than a Reliable Account of the Case, 16 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Pure Evil (Hardcover)
If you are interested in reading the full story of Tracie Andrews the infamous road rage killer from all perspectives then you may find Pure Evil interesting but it will not ultimately leave you satisfied. I doubt it is possible for a family member of either the criminal or the victim to give an unbiased account of a crime and as the title suggest Maureen Harvey does not even try to remain objective in her writings about her sons murder. I certainly don't blame her for this, I'm sure if Lee was my son I would be just the same, but I do feel that Maureens hatred of Tracie and her adoration of Lee prevents her from giving an accurate account of the case and of them as people. Even one of the leading detectives in the case who described Tracie as a heartless criminal acknowledges that there was violence on both sides in Lee and Tracie's relationship so I find Maureens insistence that only Tracie was abusive doubtful. Like another reviewer I also find it difficult to believe that a woman attempting to portray herself as a grieving, innocent girlfriend to both the courts and the public would laugh, smile and flick her hair in the courtroom. So when I finished this book I was left with the feeling that I had read about the Tracie Andrews and Lee Harvey that Maureen sees through her grief, pain and loathing that affect her opinion and may well color her memories rather than reading about the real people.

What True Evil does do is tell the sad journey that Maureen and the Harvey family have gone through since losing Lee and the grief they have experienced. I found it eye-opening to read of the lack of support they have were given and the insensitivity and even outright cruelty they received from certain member of the public (I was truly disgusted to read of the football "fans" who mocked Lee's murder because he supported a different team to them and I hope some of them read the book and feel ashamed).

True Evil isn't brilliantly written but it is easily readable and I would recommend it to those who like true crime stories. If like me you aren't that interested in true crime - I only read it because it was lent to me by a friend to keep my occupied on a long train journey - then you will probably find it quite intriguing but it is not a must-read.

As a side note I would like to say that as someone who previously worked in a prison the idea that prison is easy which Maureen Harvey obviously believes is completely false. Tabloids will misreport educational initiatives intended to teach job skills as fun leisure activities, make it seem like actors who visit to educate themselves on prison life for acting roles are there to treat the prisoners to a celebrity visit, bitter PO's who have been fired will sell stories of prisoners having lives of luxury that are absolute lies but will be presented like they are fact and events - such as fashion shows - that only happen once a year and that only prisoners with good behavioral reports are allowed to witness or participate in are made to seem as if they are happen on a weekly basis and all prisoners get to join in.

After reading some of the other reviews I would also like to add that I find it highly insensitive to say the least for people who have never lost a child to say that a woman who has is being too bitter and self-pitying.

1.0 out of 5 stars Indifferent, 15 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Pure Evil - How Tracie Andrews murdered my son, decieved the nation and sentenced me to a life of pain and misery (Kindle Edition)
I'm an avid reader of true crime... the fact that is was written by the victims Mother is different to the factual accounts I read that are written by independant authors. So I gave it a go.

This is definately a love/hate read. As mentioned in other reviews, there is no doubt that the family (especially Maureen) went to hell and back; Tracie Andrews was NOT a nice person when she was with Lee. Lee on the other hand is portrayed as the perfect son/brother/father who could do no wrong to anyone. Please. No one is perfect, and only a Mother would see just the good and not the bad. Tracie wasn't "all" bad - very few on this planet are "pure evil"... and in my opinion, Tracie isn't one of these people. This was a crime of passion, fuelled by both parties; It could quite easily have been Lee killing Tracie in my opinion. Like previous reviews, if this HAD have been the case, would Maureen be glad to see a life sentence actually meaning life? Doubtful.

My issue with this book is Maureen's delivery; she wants us to feel her pain, and for a while I did. As a reader, I don't want to be cornered into feeling something - I want to come to that conclusion myself, under my own steam. The simple facts of the case portrayed Tracie as a person capable of committing evil acts perfectly; Maureens' continual slating of her, the name calling, the vitriolic attacks... they were un-necessary and showed no dignity.

I hope that Maureen gets the help she quite obviously needs; the hatred she feels is not only destroying herself, but those around her too. I was left feeling indifferent, and I'm sure that wasn't Maureens original objective. There is no need to fish for sympathy - it will come and find you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bereavment Rant, 9 Nov. 2013
Of course we feel immensely sad for poor Maureen Harvey but this was just a bereavement exercise and badly written, by someone with no literary skills and hard to read as a result. It did not contain any sociological musings about people with issues like Tracie, it was just a grief rant along the lines of 'our son ws killed by some woman who is apparently evil.' There is no such thing as evil really, just very messed up people. It was utterly tragic and unbearable to lose their son, but it's time society addressed the causes of domestic murder and serious mental health problems and this book does not enlighten anyone.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pure Evil - yes, well written - no, 3 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Pure Evil (Paperback)
This book would have been better written by a ghost writer or someone with a neutral point of view. The emotive and angry way the narrative reads does not leave the reader with much empathy towards the author. Of course she is emotional and angry - but I feel that, if she had had more input from an experienced writer, the story of the death of her son would have been told far better.

4.0 out of 5 stars a time bomb waiting to go off, 6 April 2009
This review is from: Pure Evil (Paperback)
if ever there were two people who should never have got together it was tracie andrews and lee harvey, i like many others followed this case in the news at the time, and like many others, i felt tracie had more to do with lees death than she let on at the time,so it came as no suprise when she was charged with lees murder.The devastation she left behind comes across very clearly in maureen harveys book,yes she is bitter, but who can blame her for gods sake,its easy to be critical when it hasnt happened to you,what she tells us is straight from the heart and how she feels.if there are a couple of errors dotted here and there, so what!these people have gone through hell and probably still do.As for tracie her freedom isnt that far away now,2012 i believe,she looks as cold as steel, i only hope for the harvey family sakes, she moves as far away as possible so as to never darken their doorstep again. Maureen i hope you have found some peace in your life now and wish you well for the future.