4.0 out of 5 stars a time bomb waiting to go off
if ever there were two people who should never have got together it was tracie andrews and lee harvey, i like many others followed this case in the news at the time, and like many others, i felt tracie had more to do with lees death than she let on at the time,so it came as no suprise when she was charged with lees murder.The devastation she left behind comes across very...
Published on 6 April 2009 by biffo

2.0 out of 5 stars A little dignity please
Published on 27 April 2009 by Pedro the Llama

2.0 out of 5 stars A little dignity please, 27 April 2009
This review is from: Pure Evil (Paperback)
Incredibly sad tale of two people who should not have been together and the petty rows and petty jealousies that ultimately destroyed them. Lee's mother is obviously still distraught and in great pain but I found the endless hatred and vitriol very difficult to read and her belief that Tracie Andrews will reoffend when released implausible. This was not a premeditated attack it was a terrible and dreadful culmination of a temper running out of control.

There is a sentence in the book where she and her husband agree that they wish Lee had killed Tracie so at least he would still be alive, albeit in jail and they could visit him. Would she have washed his clothes of blood? Would she have still written a book called 'Pure Evil'? Would Maureen still be campaigning for a life sentence to mean a life sentence for murder? I doubt it. I truly understand a mother's pain and her son's murder was pointless and avoidable, but I think the writer should maybe have guided Maureen down a path less biased and bitter, Lee maybe was not as pure as the driven snow himself.

A very sad tale made all the more poignant because there are a potential Tracie and Lee in every pub in every town.

2.0 out of 5 stars This book achieved the opposite to what Maureen Harvey intended, 10 Sep 2012
This review is from: Pure Evil - How Tracie Andrews murdered my son, decieved the nation and sentenced me to a life of pain and misery (Kindle Edition)
...For me at least, which is ironic. As other reviews have pointed out, this book is full of bitterness, hatred and anger - which is understandable, however, Maureens campaign to keep Tracie behind bars was never going to come to fruition. This book answered some questions for me, it seems that the jelousy and anger was 2 sided with Lee and Tracie. After reading this book I have now come to believe that the knife belonged to Lee and was in the glove compartment of his car - whether he threatned Tracie with it or not we will never know. I also believe she got the huge black eye and cut brow before she stabbed him - if he did it once how many more times had he done it?

We will never know what went on that night but I also now believe that Tracie was misguided to plead not guilty to murder - she should have accepted the manslaughter charge and she would probably have got off with a lesser sentence.

Tracie doesn't cut a sympathetic figure but after reading this book I have a little more sympathy then I had before - which - like I said - is ironic. Maureen bragged that her son had 'bedded more women then had hot dinners' yet calls Tracie a whore for her sexual behaviour - hypocritical indeed. I got bored with the constant petty insults page after page whilst making Lee out to be a saint.

I never thought I would say this but Tracie is out now - let her get on with her life in peace and I pray that Maureen can let go of her hatred and bitterness and also find some peace.

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh Dear.., 6 Feb 2012
Before i start.. I want to say that the grief this women felt about her sons awful death must have been phenomenal and i can not even begin (or want to try) to understand what it was like.

But...

I didn't like this book at all. I didn't even reach the end of it. It felt like a constant plea for the readers to feel sorry for her, to love her son unconditionally and to absolutly detest Tracie Andrews. So much so that i found it almost a book of begging.

I don't doubt that Tracie was throughly disturbed and cappable of doing the crime. But at the end of the day, no one will know what truely happend that night, what built up to it, what happened in the car, what happened when they got out the car and when the attack took place. I feel alot of this book was blinded by a mothers love and her sorrow.

Apart from Lee, the person i think most suffered in the aftermath was his poor sister. She seemed to have been the adult in this and the one that looked after everyone the most, the one that stayed strongest, don't forget that she was pregnant when it happened and therefore she was also raising a baby through the court case etc.

I don't think this book should have been published, they made a huge mistake. If anything, this book should have been done with maybe one of the policemen as the narrator.

I do hope that Lees mum is getting help from professionals, because i think it is clear to see that she is still very deeply disturbed by the traggic death of her son. I'd hate to think she lives her life with that much hate and bitterness inside her, it is a heavy, soul destroying weight to carry around.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pure Evil - yes, well written - no, 3 Feb 2009
This review is from: Pure Evil (Paperback)
This book would have been better written by a ghost writer or someone with a neutral point of view. The emotive and angry way the narrative reads does not leave the reader with much empathy towards the author. Of course she is emotional and angry - but I feel that, if she had had more input from an experienced writer, the story of the death of her son would have been told far better.

3.0 out of 5 stars couldnt put it down.. but cringed a bit.., 1 Jun 2010
This review is from: Pure Evil (Paperback)
I always enjoy/find interesting true life crime type books and read a fair few.. whilst this was one i couldnt put down from beginning to end i found it a bit cringey at how bitter Maureen was.. yes she lost her son in a awful way but i think if someone less biased could have wrote it it would have been better written. Her anger and hatred of Tracy comes through on every page and it is all very one sided.. i found it painful to read her cheap insults saying she had a *fat arse and saddlebags* etc and calling her a bitch on every page.. however she has lost her son so i can understand it.. just a shame she didnt get someone to help her with the writing.

2.0 out of 5 stars exhausting, 30 Mar 2009
Mrs. L. Byrne (Norfolk UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pure Evil (Paperback)
I was looking forward to reading this book as I remember the case of the Road Rage liar and I was interested to find out the background story.
I couldn't help but feel sorry for Maureen Harvey though as I read further through the book it sometimes felt as though nobody felt more sorry for Maureen than Maureen.
I have a Lee too and I have tried to imagine how I would be should the same thing, or similar, happen to him. To be honest it is too painful even to contemplate though one thing is certain, I wouldn't want to write a book about it.
The tone of the book throughout is one of anger and bitterness. Around halfway into the book Maureens husband, Ray, has an accident at work resulting in a broken neck. He is rendered helpless and needs constant care and has to rely on other people, mainly Maureen, to do everything for him. On page 175 she walks out on him which, to me, is shocking! She half-heartedly attempts to explain the reasons why but it just seems to be glossed over. She quite readily hands over the reins to her daughter, Michelle, already a busy working Mum who has two small children and a husband to look after, giving the reason that they have always had a very close father/daughter bond. As Ray was being given lots of attention I couldn't help but feel that her walking out on him was just her way of getting attention focused on her again. She keeps saying that she is having a nervous breakdown though it is unclear that she has received that diagnosis from a Doctor.
As I got to Chapter 15, which is about Tracie Andrews' appeal, I was beginning to find Maureen rather tiresome. Her two sisters who had been nothing but supportive throughout the dark days since Lees' murder were told that they weren't needed to attend the hearing at the High Court in London. Maureen says that it was Michelles' idea that they shouldn't attend though Maureen was very quick to agree thus upsetting her sisters and creating a rift between them that would take a long time to heal. Coming to the end of the book there are letters written plus replies then I started skipping pages.
If you like reading true crime by all means buy this book to add to your collection but be prepared for a headache and feeling unsatisfied when you reach the end.
Finally, I don't think the book was very well written at all and having Maureen Harvey as the co-author was a mistake as the book was all about her when the title of the book 'Pure Evil' relates to Tracie Andrews.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Study of Grief Rather than a Reliable Account of the Case, 16 Feb 2009
This review is from: Pure Evil (Hardcover)
If you are interested in reading the full story of Tracie Andrews the infamous road rage killer from all perspectives then you may find Pure Evil interesting but it will not ultimately leave you satisfied. I doubt it is possible for a family member of either the criminal or the victim to give an unbiased account of a crime and as the title suggest Maureen Harvey does not even try to remain objective in her writings about her sons murder. I certainly don't blame her for this, I'm sure if Lee was my son I would be just the same, but I do feel that Maureens hatred of Tracie and her adoration of Lee prevents her from giving an accurate account of the case and of them as people. Even one of the leading detectives in the case who described Tracie as a heartless criminal acknowledges that there was violence on both sides in Lee and Tracie's relationship so I find Maureens insistence that only Tracie was abusive doubtful. Like another reviewer I also find it difficult to believe that a woman attempting to portray herself as a grieving, innocent girlfriend to both the courts and the public would laugh, smile and flick her hair in the courtroom. So when I finished this book I was left with the feeling that I had read about the Tracie Andrews and Lee Harvey that Maureen sees through her grief, pain and loathing that affect her opinion and may well color her memories rather than reading about the real people.

What True Evil does do is tell the sad journey that Maureen and the Harvey family have gone through since losing Lee and the grief they have experienced. I found it eye-opening to read of the lack of support they have were given and the insensitivity and even outright cruelty they received from certain member of the public (I was truly disgusted to read of the football "fans" who mocked Lee's murder because he supported a different team to them and I hope some of them read the book and feel ashamed).

True Evil isn't brilliantly written but it is easily readable and I would recommend it to those who like true crime stories. If like me you aren't that interested in true crime - I only read it because it was lent to me by a friend to keep my occupied on a long train journey - then you will probably find it quite intriguing but it is not a must-read.

As a side note I would like to say that as someone who previously worked in a prison the idea that prison is easy which Maureen Harvey obviously believes is completely false. Tabloids will misreport educational initiatives intended to teach job skills as fun leisure activities, make it seem like actors who visit to educate themselves on prison life for acting roles are there to treat the prisoners to a celebrity visit, bitter PO's who have been fired will sell stories of prisoners having lives of luxury that are absolute lies but will be presented like they are fact and events - such as fashion shows - that only happen once a year and that only prisoners with good behavioral reports are allowed to witness or participate in are made to seem as if they are happen on a weekly basis and all prisoners get to join in.

After reading some of the other reviews I would also like to add that I find it highly insensitive to say the least for people who have never lost a child to say that a woman who has is being too bitter and self-pitying.

2.0 out of 5 stars slow, 12 Feb 2013
this book, although on a harrowing and extremely sad subject from a mothers perspective is not very enjoyable and quite a slow read.

3.0 out of 5 stars All about Me, 20 Sep 2012
This book seeks to show the author's son in glowing terms and what a wonderful lad he was. You will need to read between the lines and form your own opinion of what happened that night. It is quite well written but the factual content is questionable, excellent reading for anyone in a shakey relationship, all the warning signs are there!

3.0 out of 5 stars Emotional involvement OTT, 17 April 2009
This review is from: Pure Evil (Hardcover)
The book is a reasonably good read but suffers from the fact that Lee could do no wrong in his mother's eyes and this does get a little tiresome after a while.